Oatmeal ?

tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone knew if Oatmeal was Gluten free ? I just found out i have celiac disease and im trying to find new foods to eat and i love Oatmeal on cold mornings but i wasn't sure if it was Gluten free. Does anyone know for sure if it is?

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Most Oatmeal is not gluten free because it is processed in the same plant as wheat, so there are traces of gluten. But, oatmeal itself is gluten free. So, you need to check the label. I know Bob's Red Mill has a gluten free oatmeal. And, a local family business makes gluten free oatmeal.

From a friend who has a gluten issue, she eat steel cut oats because they are gluten free. SImply check the label, or write the company an email of the brand you want to eat.
  • May I also recommend Steel Cut Oats???!!! They are superb! Delicious, nutritious and a better texture than the traditional, sometimes "gloppy" oatmeal. Also, most supermarkets that have a "health market" area sell them in the self serve bins where you can try a small amount out inexpensively.

One of my best friends has celiac, as do her 2 children, and they eat completely gluten free. Online has some great companies that ship things out (ie. pizza, frozen meals). Most food stores now have a gluten free section with many options as well. BUT, check the label for sure!!

Good luck, and happy eating:)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Bobs Red Mill makes GF Oatmeal.
    Not all steel cut oats are GF. Its not only how they are processed but where. If the facility makes other things other then steel cut oats then you cant be certain.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Thank you everyone im going to check my local health food store to see if they carry GF oatmeal
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Thank you everyone im going to check my local health food store to see if they carry GF oatmeal

Also ask at your bulk food store. Ours carries two: steel cut and old fashioned. But it doesn't say it on the bins. Ask to see the 25# bag. Might be cheaper. Also, Bob's Red Mill is carried in stores, and is available on line, just as a price comparison.
This discussion has been closed.