650 Calories and Insanity

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently started doing Insanity and have been eating around 650 calories for a while. Now I was wondering is that a good idea? I mean I pick my meals wisely so I don't starve myself; however, since I'm going for the muscles as well, do you guys think I need to add more calories to my diet?

Replies

• shedboy
    shedboy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    do you mean eating an extra 650 or 650 for the whole day??
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    650 calories a day in total
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    ...I hope this is a joke.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You are starving yourself. Your body will be burning your muscles for fuel. Remember that your heart is also a muscle.

Please reassess your food intake immediately and seek help of a dietitian if you feel unable to eat more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself. Children under 80lbs eat more than 650 calories a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Lol. Seriously. Are you nuts ?
  • shedboy
    Options
    that seems an awfully little amount to eat in general even before doing any exercise but i dont know your personal circumstances so im sure you know what youre doing. id up the amount of calories you eat though, to double atleast. i was personally burning an average of 650 calories a day doing insanity so id defo eat more. did you use the calorie calculator thats in the nutrition guide with insanity, thatl give you a rough idea of how much to intake.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    How do you expect your body to do anything only eating that many calories? You'll lose weight sure.. But you'll end up being light headed and get sick from it. You can't drive across the country when your gas gauge is on E.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Insanity comes with a nutrition guide that walks you through the necessary calorie intake calculations. If you seriously are doing the program, do it right and follow the guide.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you want to add muscle, regardless of program, you need to eat at a caloric surplus. Eating at a deficit will not cut it.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To go a little bit more in depth than "you've got to be kidding me", you are depriving your body of the important nutrients and fuel it needs to function properly. In basic English, you are literally starving yourself, which is never a good idea. If you continue along this route, you will do massive damage to your body.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    this makes me really sad
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I also just checked out your profile, please don't use another person's body as your "inspiration", especially a Victoria's Secret model, most models are sickly skinny because the manufacturer's want the clothing to look as close to being on the hanger on the rack while on the model as possible. Aim for HEALTH and STRENGTH not just the number on the scale.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This makes me really sad

It makes me really sad, but also a little angry.

MFP gave you a number based on your goal when you signed up & you chose to ignore it. No need to ask - MFP pretty much already said you should be eating more than 650 calories a day.
  • gelar93
    Options
    Not sure why some people felt the need to respond so negatively, but anyway, who are you to tell me not to ask MFP???
    I was just wondering if I'd be getting the muscle-results I want with this much intake and am looking for people who can POSITIVELY help me with it.
    Please take your negativity, sadness, and anger somewhere else. Thank you.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Not sure why some people felt the need to respond so negatively, but anyway, who are you to tell me not to ask MFP???
    I was just wondering if I'd be getting the muscle-results I want with this much intake and am looking for people who can POSITIVELY help me with it.

You can't build muscle on 650 calories. Period. At all. Ever. No one can help you with that. You need to double your calorie intake to even be regarded as eating at the low end of a calorie deficit. And even then, you would struggle to build muscle because you're eating at a deficit.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You will not get any muscle on 650 calories a day. Insanity has a nutrition plan, please follow it.

You are eating less than a child.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Wow.. lol.

The responses were quite helpful actually.

You're starving yourself and you will gain 0 muscle starving yourself.

Get some help you are anorexic.
  • shedboy
    Options
    i agree with the OP, there really isnt any need for every one to chip in with their over the top reactions and anger directed towards her.

she only asked for a little bit of advice, its not exactly helpful everyone trying to shoot her down.

if you want to help give her some USEFUL advice and keep the attitude out of it
  • gelar93
    Options

Wow.. lol.

The responses were quite helpful actually.

You're starving yourself and you will gain 0 muscle starving yourself.

Get some help you are anorexic.

I am 5'4, 20 years old, 140 lbs. and have been on the 650 diet for a week. I do need to shed some weight for an important event that is coming up. DOES THAT MAKE ME ANOREXIC?
    How about you don't judge people without knowing them? Gosh judgmental people. Thanks for being the most negative people on any forum I've ever been to. On my very first topic. Congratulation.
This discussion has been closed.