Feel like giving up.Not seeing any results.

Options
Hi

Ive been on MFP for 24 consecutive days now, sticking to my 1200 calories, eating lots of healthy foods & replaced fizzy drinks with water. I have been running/power walking for 30 minutes, 6 days a week for 3 weeks now & have recently just started doing HIIT on the treadmill, the thing is I am not seeing any results & I completely just feel like giving up!!!

I do have a lot more energy & do feel healthier but i was 154IB 3 weeks ago & i'm still 154IB, even after all my running & healthy eating!!!

How long is it going to take before I lose even 1Ib???

Please help!!!

Replies

• kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It takes a little while to see the scale move....but you have already seen some results because you have more energy and feel healthier! The scale can be your worst enemy and it was mine for awhile....just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean that you aren't having results.

Also remember the scale may not have dropped, but it has also not gone up which is a great thing....also muscle weighs more than fat so you could be converting pesky fat into muscle! Just keep with it, and you will do great!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    What is giving up going to solve? If you have more energy and feel healthier than you are seeing results.

If you open your diary that would help. But, without it being open, check the accuracy of your logging, are you counting oils you cook with, butter, etc.

If you aren't losing than you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are probably holding on to a lot of water for repairs and this is masking your loss. Stick with it, three weeks is not a long time. Your weight on the scale is a really bad indicator of your progress anyway. Measuring body fat makes more sense. There are people who weigh 150lbs who look fantastic because they have a lot of lean mass and little body fat. Also try taking measurements as you may be starting to lose inches.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too and here are some things that has been working for me.
    Scale can be misleading - It does not indicate that you may in fact lost "fat" and gained "muscle"
    1. Get measuring tape to take your measurements now and re-measure yourself every 3-4 weeks
    2. in the beginning the scale is going to go up and down due to water weight.
    3. Take before pic of yourself today and do it again every 3-4 weeks to "see" your improvements
    4. Switch up your workout (ie. more strength training /eating routine ie. more protein/fiber )and track any noticeable difference.
    5. Frustration is normal, Be grateful that you have the health & strength to make a small difference everyday.
    6. Keep reading success stories for tips.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself. All the changes you have made are making you healthier, no matter what the number on the scale says. If you give up then what happens?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    if you don't want results then go ahead and give up. Won't effect any of us. If you want to see results then keep pushing yourself for however long it takes. No matter how long that is.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ive been on MFP for 24 consecutive days now, sticking to my 1200 calories, eating lots of healthy foods & replaced fizzy drinks with water. I have been running/power walking for 30 minutes, 6 days a week for 3 weeks now & have recently just started doing HIIT on the treadmill, the thing is I am not seeing any results & I completely just feel like giving up!!!

I do have a lot more energy & do feel healthier but i was 154IB 3 weeks ago & i'm still 154IB, even after all my running & healthy eating!!!

Please help!!!
    You could give up. That's your choice. You could though try and find out what you're doing wrong. Saying you're eating healthy doesn't really mean much. In reality it all comes down to your calorie deficit. Either the numbers you are working from are wrong or your logging is inaccurate. There can be many reasons for inaccurate logging. Are you weighing and measuring all your food accurately? Are you honest with everything? Are you using accurate entries from the database? If you open your diary we may be able to spot any problems.

So your choice you can give up or learn from this and see if you can find out the cause. Good luck
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing results why give up when you really won't see any? Have some patience.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You'll have been improving your health in all kinds of ways. Giving up is pointless. Make sure you're weighing everything you eat and drink and maybe try changing the amount you are trying to lose per week to see if that helps. It can't stick around forever, have faith.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough, especially if you're doing that much exercise. Read this before you decide to give up. Believe it or not you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • DonnaMarieS87
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP. Just because the scales aren't moving it doesn't mean you aren't changing your body.
    Someone sent me this picture when I felt like giving up and it made me realise that I am making a difference.

I hope it can help you: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mblb1wMXns1rnd4sro1_500.jpg

You may be losing fat and building muscle, the scales WON'T change, but your body is and will continue to.
  • margaretsandford3
    margaretsandford3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it is just so frustrating when i know iv'e been working so hard and not seeing the weight move.

I know I have to keep with it, setting myself a goal of 6 months cos I know for sure if i keep with this healthy routine by then I should see results.

I have been told i may not lose weight but just tone up which will make my body look slimmer so if thats the case then i'll be happy with that too!!!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Just off what you have told us there is no way you shouldn't be losing if you're only eating 1200, are you sure you weigh and log absolutely everything you eat and drink?
    Your BMR is around 1400, you should try to eat at least this, making sure you accurately record everything, do this for 8 weeks and see where you are. Or give up if you really want to :flowerforyou:
  • margaretsandford3
    Options
    Have opened my diary now so if anyone can help with anything i'm doing wrong would be much appreciated.

:smile:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Have opened my diary now so if anyone can help with anything i'm doing wrong would be much appreciated.

There are a couple of very low days from what I have seen, and you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories. Do you weigh everything or guesstimate?
  • margaretsandford3
    Options
    So do i need to eat 1200 calories plus the exercise calories i have burned?? I have just been using MFP to guess what the calorie is, i'm usually accurate with my portions etc but my diary is just what is already recorded in MFP!!
  • DonnaMarieS87
    Options
    It's always debatable and people will have different opinions. But, personally, and I am not a health expert, I don't think you are eating enough! You need to eat back your burnt calories, or your body will go into "starvation mode" and you won't get the benefit. Also, try eating a variety of fruits and veggies rather than sticking to those you are comfortable with :) as long as you log everything you eat and drink and you use correct portion sizes you should start seeing some movement. Again, others may disagree and that is fine, it's finding what works best for YOU!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

The homemade entries, did you create those or were they ones already in the database, if you used another members entry for your 2 egg omelette (did that include any oil to cook with, butter, etc), the homemade sandwich entry.. again was their mayo, added, what bread was used.

Stay away from generic, homemade, entries because you do not know what the other member included in that. Are you weighing or eyeballing portion sizes?
  • DonnaMarieS87
    Options
    So do i need to eat 1200 calories plus the exercise calories i have burned?? I have just been using MFP to guess what the calorie is, i'm usually accurate with my portions etc but my diary is just what is already recorded in MFP!!

Yes, MFP will set 1,200 per day. But if you burn off calories you need to eat them back. IMO.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ive been on MFP for 24 consecutive days now,

Not long enough
    sticking to my 1200 calories, eating lots of healthy foods & replaced fizzy drinks with water.
    [/quote}

Not eating enough for the energy you use during the day.
    Demonizing food so you probably feel guilty if you think about something you love but luton a list that you cannot have, causing negative feelings and stress.
    Proper nutrition to lose fat is like landing a plane, the more you have to eat the easier your job is.
    I have been running/power walking for 30 minutes, 6 days a week for 3 weeks now & have recently just started doing HIIT on the treadmill, the thing is I am not seeing any results & I completely just feel like giving up!!!

For the amount of energy out vs energy in, this is a sure sign of overtraining.
    I know i'm going to spark a ton of butthurt with that statement. If you are eating 1200 calories, and expending 2500 calories a day, you're only getting 50% of what you need.
    Also, cardio only exercise is terrible for fat loss. Especially in a huge deficit! What reason would your body have to allow fat loss when you take in too little food, extend too much energy, running around like a fool all day.

You feel healthy and have more energy because your adrenals release hormones that are breaking down specific tissues to fuel your brain, body, activity. At some point it catches up to you and you won't feel so great. You'll program hop like the rest of them for a few years and completely bottom out your metabolic rate.

Let me ask you this.
    If you see twin women at your height and weight and they are both wearing fantastic bikinis.
    1 woman has 32% body fat.
    The other has 20% body fat.
    Both weigh the same.

How does actual scale weight play into their looks?

Please help!!!
    Okay!
    Hire a personal trainer.
    Tell them you want to lose your excess fat.
    Tell them you want to learn how to become stronger and look toned.

Hopefully if they know what they are doing, they will show you what a barbell is and how to lift it 3x a week and forbid you from doing anymore cardio.

I'd be more than happy to help you, but it's going to take some faith in what I know as I try to change the way you see and understand your body.

PM if interested.

Hugs! And relax! We all die at some point! It's what you do between then and now that counts!