Calorie Confusion

Options
CW: 290
GW: 180
UGW: 130-150

I'm consuming 1200 calories a day, and trying to walk 3 times a day for at least 45 minutes each time, 2 hours and 15 minutes total. Once in the morning, once after lunch, and once after dinner. I've been slowly trying to work my way up to that. I've only been tracking for 3 days. Should I be eating back the calories I burn off walking? If I don't eat back the calories I burn, will it hurt me at all?
Does anyone have an suggestions for light workouts that burn a decent amount of calories? I don't have the best stamina so stuff like running, jump roping, biking etc. are not an option- I lose my breath and my knees will start to hurt.
I'm open to any suggestions/opinions. I'm hoping to lose 110 pounds within the next 12-18 months. Is that too short of a time period? Or too unrealistic of a goal?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is .5–2 lb. per week. Your MFP calorie goal has your deficit built in, so you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The burns are just estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.

Take before photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! 1200 calories a day sounds like too few for you. Eat what MFP has calculated for you and eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Eating too few calories will only set you up for failure and likely leave you hungry.

As far as workouts, Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's are great to start. They are low impact but do a good job of getting and keeping you moving. I saw some at my local library. That's a good way to try them out before you buy them to see if you like them. There is one with 2, 3 and 4 mile walks (different workouts), so you can work your way up.

Good luck!
  • BlueGirl218
    Options
    My mom is also doing 1200 calories a day. It feels about right for me, I'm not usually hungry or tired.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im at about 295 right now and they are recommeding I eat over 2,000 to lose 2 lbs a week....... You may not feel it now but you should up it to atleast 1800 calories. especially if your working out...... If you dont your body is going to make it harder for you to lose weight because it wants to store everything.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you do feel hungry or tired in the next few weeks (I did when I was on 1200, it took a couple weeks to kick in,) you might wannt to up your calories.

I worked out how much I can eat by using this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I find that I've been losing weight faster by eating a little more, as I don't binge eat, I'm more energetic and I still have enough calories to eat the foods I love (so I don't crave them!) etc.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My mom is also doing 1200 calories a day. It feels about right for me, I'm not usually hungry or tired.
    Food is fuel. Your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, never the minimum. Crash dieting doesn't work in the long term.

Please, read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here is a great place to look on why you should be eating your calorie goal and not less! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • kdillson70
    Options
    You will be able to sustain yourself with 1200 calories, but only for a short period of time before your body say no more. Make this a lifestyle change, not a diet. Walking is the perfect cardio exercise if you are unable to do anything else. The key is finding the right balance. Check out this link. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Good Luck!
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Food is fuel. Your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, never the minimum. Crash dieting doesn't work in the long term.

Please, read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes this is GREAT!! Read it and read it again :smile:
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 pounds in March eating about 1800 calories a day, with at least 6 days that month in the 3000 calorie range, starting at 311, now at 295. I also walked for half an hour about twice a week. While I expect my weight loss to slow down significantly next month, you can and will lose weight eating more!

As far as for other exercise - I think walking is a great way to go about it. You could try an elliptical, or swimming if you have access to a pool.

Trying to lose 110 pounds in the next year I think is pretty optimistic. I get where you are coming from. I know I am doing the right things to be on track, and if I do it long enough, I WILL get to goal weight, and I just want that to happen right now! But I try to remind myself to be patient. I didn't get this overweight in a year, either.
  • BlueGirl218
    Options
    Here is a great place to look on why you should be eating your calorie goal and not less! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Very helpful, thank you. I understand why eating my exercise calories back is so important.
    You will be able to sustain yourself with 1200 calories, but only for a short period of time before your body say no more. Make this a lifestyle change, not a diet. Walking is the perfect cardio exercise if you are unable to do anything else. The key is finding the right balance. Check out this link. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Good Luck!

This was especially helpful, I have a better idea now of how many calories I should be consuming daily now. Thanks so much!
    A healthy loss is .5–2 lb. per week. Your MFP calorie goal has your deficit built in, so you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The burns are just estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.

Take before photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks for the link, also very helpful.

So what I'm gathering (If I'm interpreting everything correctly), if that I should be consuming at least 1500 calories a day, and also eating back all my exercise calories?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    So what I'm gathering (If I'm interpreting everything correctly), if that I should be consuming at least 1500 calories a day, and also eating back all my exercise calories?
    Everybody's different, so it will take trial & error to find what works for you. And weight loss isn't linear—your weight will fluctuate day to day & throughout the day.

Eat back all your exercise calories for several weeks. If you're not losing, eat back half your calories for a few more weeks.
  • BlueGirl218
    Options
    Everybody's different, so it will take trial & error to find what works for you. And weight loss isn't linear—your weight will fluctuate day to day & throughout the day.

Eat back all your exercise calories for several weeks. If you're not losing, eat back half your calories for a few more weeks.
    Will do, thanks for the help! :)
  • cuyunamike
    cuyunamike Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you cut back on carbs, you should be able to do 1200 calories as a woman. My experience is that the carbs just make me crave more. I'm a guy and I do 1500 calories a day. I stay away from empty calorie foods. I like to eat a lot, so I try and eat a lot of low calorie fruit and protein. Ive been doing about 1,000 calories of daily exercise and I started running recently. I'm thinking about increasing my intake based on my BMR and exercise burn.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

At least. Possibly even higher than that. Losing weight is hard enough, don't starve yourself trying to do it. You need to find a lifestyle that works long term, allows you go eat like a human, go out and have a good time, not eat rabbit food everyday and be miserable. At 188 I was eating 1,500 and eating 90% of my exercise calories back.
  • Eastmont87
    Options
    In my opinion you should up your calories a bit and not overdo the walking - or chances are you'll get tired of it and quit.
    It's much better (IN MY OPINION) to do it gradually.

Don't go out too hard in the begining. 1200 calories sounds too low to me. Walking is a great exercise in itself to burn some calories.

And for that part about adding those calories you burn, well, it's up to you really.
    Let's say you have 2000 calories to eat each day (for maintaince weight) and you burn off 500 calories by walking - you will lose weight.
    But let's say you did the same thing, but at the same time cutting back your eating calories too to a calorie deficit, you would lose double that weight.
    So it's all up to you how much you want to lose, but I really recommend losing weight slowly. It's not healthy to lose too much weight in a short period of time. Thus if you exercise a lot, it's prolly a good Idea to up the calories a bit.

And remember, a litte bit of workout/walking/running is better than no workout at all. That's my moto :)