Does the 30 Day Shred work?

I'm wondering if the 30 Day Shred work?

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    I'm sure it does for some people. I am interested in doing it but worry it may be too much of a strain on my body, I can do a 60min zumba class no problem but the vast majority of what I read about 30DS is people in insane amounts of pain after it! Is it really a good idea to be in so much pain from working out? I ache after zumba and can have stiffness the next day (I'm 234lb) but not sure how much I could be doing with days of pain after 1 20 min work out haha!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    It depends. It's the first form of exercise that I did when I started to get my eating into check, so I was logging on MFP every day (weighing/measuring everything that went into my mouth) and committed to the 30 Day Shred. I saw results super fast which is really what kept me going. I lost 6lbs during that 30 days, but I know that my diet played a huge part of that.

I could only do 11 minutes of it on Day 1! On day 2, I promised myself to get through the whole thing but I took a lot of breaks. Each day I just made sure to shorten my breaks and push myself as much as possible. If you don't push yourself, you won't get any results. After 30DS I moved on to Ripped in 30, started running, bought some weights, got a gym membership...and the rest is history.

I definitely recommend it (especially for beginners) but make a promise to yourself to give it everything you have for the 30 days.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    It's not going to make you LOOK like Jillian or her fitness models in 30 days. However, it can put you on a path to fitness, and along with proper diet make you look better over the long term. It is rather high impact though so some people who are heavier or older can have problems with it. I started with this at age 49 and I did okay with it, I lost a few pounds and increased my fitness. The point is you have to continue with diet and with some form of exercise. It was good for me because I was really weak when I began and it made me stronger and able to do other more advanced strength training from there.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Yes. Worth the time investment. Don't expect to look like JM if your body fat percentage is 25% or higher.. You will definitely gain strength, lose inches with this.
  • There's a great thread here with 30DS result pics! It's motivating! Have a look. A lot of people had amazing results.

I bet it works if you can stick to it.

When I started it the first time, I got through a circuit and a half and just gave up because I couldn't breathe. So I had to work up to it, honestly. So I just started doing more cardio and I did yoga because it kinda helped me with breathing techniques, I could never get that right before.

So after two weeks of that and a little strength training, I could do the full workout (pausing a couple of times, granted) and was sweating bullets, but that's good.

But I haven't done it for a while, for some reason. I think I'm starting it again in about 15 minutes. We'll see how that goes.

I am not sore when I'm done. I wasn't before and I'm pretty much an exercise noob.

Give it a shot! It seems like a great program to get you going! Don't pressure yourself to not take breaks at first though, that's really defeating and I think a huge part of my problem.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    I'm sure it does for some people. I am interested in doing it but worry it may be too much of a strain on my body, I can do a 60min zumba class no problem but the vast majority of what I read about 30DS is people in insane amounts of pain after it! Is it really a good idea to be in so much pain from working out? I ache after zumba and can have stiffness the next day (I'm 234lb) but not sure how much I could be doing with days of pain after 1 20 min work out haha!

My muscles were very sore for a couple days when I first started, but I wouldn't say I was in pain. Some people will push through it and go 30 days straight, while others find themselves very sore and may decide to have some rest days to help their muscles recover. I am doing this for the second time around, and didn't find it nearly as difficult as the first time. If you're able to do 60 minutes of Zumba, I'm sure you'd be able to do this fairly easily. You may find your muscles to be sore because of the strength training involved, but that will pass. You can find them on youtube for free if you're interested in trying it out.

*edited for spelling
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

I was sore after the first day, I was VERY sore after the second day. I skipped a day and then after that it got better. Keep in mind that I was 49 years old and went from zero exercise to that, so it was not unexpected. But then just about any exercise would do that under those conditions. Is it worth it? Yes, it is a temporary unpleasant side effect, you'll get over it. And you won't see any change in your muscles unless you work them.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Thanks people! All very helpful info! :D
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 948 Member
    I'm not in great shape. But I can run 2.5 miles. I'm hoping that this tone my body
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    I have no weight to lose and I've got a reasonable fitness level. I think 30 day shred really works combined with logging everyday. I'm really noticing how my body is changing - I'm getting really good definition to my abs and arms!