advice from the ladies that lift please

Options
Hi Ladies

I have concentrated a lot on cardio and have decided to do weights but I haven't a clue where to start and some of the huge weights look scary.
I have some 1kg,2kg and 3kg dumbells to start and will incorporate those into my cardio and circuits but what weights shall I progress to and how heavy and what type? I have seen kettle bells and those long pole things with the bits you add any advice really welcome and id love any of you to add me as a friend as I could do with support and motivation too thanks

Replies

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of programs out there that are available online. I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's Livefit on bodybuilding.com. I really like it and I'm seeing results (I'm on phase 1 day 16) There's also Stronglifts 5X5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women. All great places to start. Just research them and pick one you're comfortable with and one you can continue to do. It will take time to see results so make sure you stick with a program for more than a week or two. Remember that it's also ok to start with a lower weight than what the programs may suggest. Just be sure you keep increasing the weight as you move through the program.

ETA: Also do a search in the forums for female/women lifting. There are many threads with results and support and suggestions.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. read one of the New Rules of Lifting books
    2. read thru some of the newbie threads in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w