cardio vs. strength training

Options
OK.. so I've been reading that building muscle is more effective at burning fat then doing cardio but here's my question.
What can be considered 'strength training'? Can I still do the elliptical and crank up the resistance and go slower and is that considered strength training? I would imagine because of such a high resistance I would be building muscle that way. Or how about doing something like a stair master at high resistance, seems like I would be "lifting" my own body weight...... any thoughst would help I cannot seem to find an answer online.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    While cranking up resistance does work the muscle, if you want to really see the benefits of increasing muscle to burn fat, you're going to need to lift weights.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    As a broad generalization, strength training involves activating anaerobic muscle fibers. If you can keep doing it for more than 30 seconds, it isn't the type of training you're looking for.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    As a broad generalization, strength training involves activating anaerobic muscle fibers. If you can keep doing it for more than 30 seconds, it isn't the type of training you're looking for.

Agreed.

Bikers often have muscular thighs but many of them do weight training to help that along. The fastest way to build muscle is using weights.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have found that a combination of cardio and strength training works best for me. I can loose quite a bit of weight on cardio alone, but I don't tone well. However, things like squats with weights and kettlebells has done wonders for my tone and has kick started me past my weight loss plateau. I do a combo of walking, yoga, kettlebells, and other weight based exercises as well as a type of under desk stationary bike at work. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No such thing as one versus the other.

Cardio has its own benefits. Strength training has its own benefits. For health, do both. For fun, do the one you like best. For vanity, lift heavy!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what burns fat. You can create a calorie deficit more easily with cardio, but you need strength training (and adequate protein intake) to maintain your lean body mass. Otherwise, you may get smaller, but you won't get much leaner. You'll look like a scaled down version of what you look like now.

For your purposes, using more resistance on the elliptical is not going to cut it as "strength training."
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    OK, so calories are units of energy. When you exercise and "burn calories" what you are really doing is "converting energy" in a chemical reaction that takes energy out of storage and converts it to carbon dioxide and water (which you then breathe and sweat/wee out).

The subcellular components in the cells of your body that carry out this chemical reaction are called mitochondria, and there are more of these in muscle tissue than anywhere else in your body.

SO...if you're still with me after the science bit, the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Weight training builds muscle, and this in turn allows you to burn more calories when you do any kind of exercise.

Your exercise regime should include weight training AND cardio, because one helps the other to be more efficient. Cardio also has additional benefits such as improving your circulation, relieving stress, and so on.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what burns fat. You can create a calorie deficit more easily with cardio, but you need strength training (and adequate protein intake) to maintain your lean body mass. Otherwise, you may get smaller, but you won't get much leaner. You'll look like a scaled down version of what you look like now.

For your purposes, using more resistance on the elliptical is not going to cut it as "strength training."

^ This. Make up your week with both. Have a couple of cardio days to help your deficit. Have three or four strength training days so you look great when you lose the weight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Are people reading the OP?

She isn't asking if she should do one or the other.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no right exercise, you need to figure out what you like first of all, any exercise is good for your body. If you love the elliptical or running or dancing, do this. If you like weight training, focus on this. Ideally you want both, but there is no "wrong" with exercise. If you have a very specific goal in mind, like getting a body builder's muscles, or slimming down to a ballet dancer's body, or building up the stamina to run for hours, then you need of course to focus on the appropriate exercise, but if the goal is to just get in shape, then whatever you enjoy more and can do regularly, this is what you should be doing.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Are people reading the OP?

She isn't asking if she should do one or the other.

Ha, good point!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    OP, check out stronglifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com) or starting strength, or any other other strength training program for beginners. These will get you started with a program that achieves what you want to accomplish, they are easy to start up even if you've never seen a weight before, and you can then (a few months down the line when you have more experience and a knowledgebase) decide if you want to do something else or continue with the same program, etc.

But the biggest thing at this point is just doing the workouts. ANY strength training is better than none and you will LOVE the results.