I'M NOT AFRAID!!!

Options
Last week, I didn't want to walk anywhere. Not up the stairs, not down the block, and definately not around a track! This week, I've figured it out! You all were so right! Find something that you like and you won't notice it is excercise. Music and dance has always been big for me. I love music, all kinds of music!

Anyhow, today as I was preparing to go for a walk during my 15 min break, a co-worker said, laughingly "what good is 15 minutes going to do? I could understand if you were running, but I know you don't run". After smacking her with a file folder right in the center of her rather broad forehead, I proceeded to staple her hair to the wall, before stepping out in my new Nike walking shoes.

After I awoke from my mometary fantasy (you didn't think I really smacked her did you??? The unemployment line is too long nowadays lol), I sat down, feeling deflated, ashamed, and embarrassed.... for just a moment. I went for my walk anyway, who was she to stop my progress right? The first song that played on my Ipod was "I'm Not Afraid" by Eminem. I don't listen to a lot of him, but my son put it on there.

Right away, I was pumped! I love the beat of this song! I think I did come pretty close to running (shows her, hmph!) But as I walked, I listened to the words. I'm not sure what Eminem was talking about in the song. (I'm wondering if there is a clean version) But the lyrics really struck home with me today. I'd like to share them with you:

I'm not afraid to take a stand
Everybody come take my hand
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you're not alone
Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road

(Bridge)

And I just can't keep living this way
So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage
I'm standing up, Imma face my demons
I'm manning up, Imma hold my ground
I've had enough, now I'm so fed up
Time to put my life back together right now

These words really struck a chord with me. I've been afraid too long! I'm finally taking control. I CAN control what I eat, I CAN control how much I eat. I CAN control my time. I CAN control how I spend that time. I don't need to run around a track to excercise, dancing to some good tunes IS excerise. It's a starting place...ready? set? GO!

What songs inspire you in your fitness/weightloss journey? Is there a certain song that always gets you up and moving? Or one with meaningful lyrics that just strike the chord you need to keep pushing forward? Please share!

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Though I am not a big Eminem fan, this sing does strike a chord. He wrote it about his battle with addiction. Food can be as much of an addiction as alcohol or drugs--the only difference is you HAVE to eat. Building healthy eating habits and a positive relationship with food is a real battle, but one that you can be victorious in! Thanks for sharing part of your story :) May you enjoy the journey and take every small victory--that 15 minute walk is a step in the right direction!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love Nickelback and one of my favorites of theirs is "If today was your last day". Not a great work out song per se, but I swiped one of the lines from that song to put on my profile here - "what's worth the prize is always worth the fight". Another line states "that first step you take is the longest stride". I always try to remember that.

On another note, if you're not journaling or blogging - you should be :happy: I loved reading this and particularly your descriptive fantasy ha ha. You go girl!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    5^^ SUPER! You are soooo right! The song is on point! You MUST be self motivated and ProActive in Your Own Process, and when these little gems come along to encourage us, we should look at them as a Blessing to empower ourselves. Every step, every small change in eating habit is a positive move toward Wellness/ Healthy Living. Never turn Your Power over to someone else, real-sustainable change is about within. Give your Son a kiss and let him know how much he helped you today...Keep on moving, stay self-motivated, stay proactive! 5^^
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Eminem is my workout playlist everyday. So many of his songs just fit! Soldier, 'Till I Collapse, Lose Yourself. The list literally goes on. When I am half dead and want to quit, one of those songs comes on at just the right moment to push me over the edge! I like to be fully dead at the end of my workouts :laugh:

Until the roof
    The roof comes off
    Until my legs
    give out from underneath me

I will not fall,
    I will stand tall,
    Feels like no one could beat me.

~Till I Collapse
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    On another note, if you're not journaling or blogging - you should be :happy: I loved reading this and particularly your descriptive fantasy ha ha. You go girl!!
    [/quote]

I was actually picturing someone's hair stapled to the wall! I was thinking that I bet that she was peeved!

I'm glad that you got that reinforcement of motivation. Sometimes when we are in a slump we need to look for that to keep us going.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I love that Eminem song!

Congrats on you for not letting your co-worker sway you from your walk!

15 minutes does make a difference!

Karen
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I thought you really stapled her hair to the wall....goes to show that I might stoop to hitting someone in the head with a file folder.....that didn't even phase me.

Glad to hear you had your ohhhhhhhhhhh......moment. Mine wasn't related to a song, mine was realizing that no one said this wouldn't hurt and that hurt doesn't equal bad.

The song that always gets me pumped and motivated is an oldie....New Attitude by Patti Labelle.
    I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes
    Know where I'm going and I know what to do
    I've tidied up my point of view,
    I've got a new attitude.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    15 minutes will make a difference. You go girl. Your doing awsome. It will help destress you, energise you and will increase you calorie burn for the next couple of hours. 15 minutes is soooo powerful. You too.
    My tune, to push: Eagles "Get over it"
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine is "Life Your Life" by Rhianna and T.I.

I've put one of the lyrics, "Never mind what haters say, ignore 'em 'till they fade away", in my profile to remind me daily that no matter what negativity surrounds me, I'm doing this for me and I can't let other people's opinions and insecurities detract me from my goals.

*makes note of stapling someone's hair to the wall* <-- I usually staple them to the highway in my fantasies.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I always listen to Eminem while exercising-- he keeps a good beat and you can feel the passion in his songs. Good for you for your perseverence and persistence!!!
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh! You all have some great songs! I love that line from "Live your Life", Xquiz and didn't realize Eminem had so much power behind his songs. "New Attitude" and "Get Over It!" These are all such good mantras. I listen to slower music sometimes too! Nickelback is a great group... on my way to listen to the song now. Love the lyrics! :)
  • Doordie
    Doordie Posts: 51
    Options
    Yes! I so needed this because I was on the verge of giving up trying. Just had a hard week.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That is great! Music is an instant motivator. Way to work and ignore that b****, oops did I say that? I'm dirty south, so I go hardcore, knuck if you buck (Crime Mob) , throw it up (Lil Jon), Say I Yi Yi (Ying Yang Twins), Big Things Poppin (T.I,) . Congrats on this realization, just a matter of time now, keep at it!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love that song from Eminem too! It's so inspirational.