Something does not add up, any idea's?

Options
2»

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary, you are not eating enough fresh whole foods, way to much processed crap, try eating some lean chicken , brown rice, green veggies, ect.. Your body will reflect what you put into it. if you eat clean, your body will start to look like it. goodluck :smile:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    OK so second question then.

Since as I get closer to goal I need to adjust calorie seems to be a popular response.

The goal is an non specific amount a guess.
    If it was a goal of % body fat then I can see how that would make sense.

based of the calculators which i know are not accurate my avg body fat was 25-30%
    at goal it would be i'm guess 20-25%?

Until you get down in the 10-15% range i would not think that the body slow down as much considering the daily burned/consumed ratio.

Like I said I don't know, but I'm trying to learn and understand.
    Blame it on me thinking like a engineer but a goal weight of still being big/fat would not behave the same as a goal of thin/fit.

My plan was to get down to 200 I know what i used to look like at that amount and I was not skinny lol
    But from there start the heavy lifting and cutting.

I think I'm confused by different uses of the word "goal" here. If you have a goal weight, then you have a goal weight. That doesn't change. If you have a BF% for a goal, that too doesn't change as you lose weight. Once you get to that goal you may decide that you want something different, but that's another story.

If you're talking about your daily intake goal for calories, then that could potentially vary based on your TDEE, which could also be impacted by body composition, but I would think that would be more of complication for very lean individuals, who happen to have a fair bit of muscle mass.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Since as I get closer to goal I need to adjust calorie seems to be a popular response.

based of the calculators which i know are not accurate my avg body fat was 25-30%

Until you get down in the 10-15% range i would not think that the body slow down as much considering the daily burned/consumed ratio.

Blame it on me thinking like a engineer but a goal weight of still being big/fat would not behave the same as a goal of thin/fit.

My plan was to get down to 200 I know what i used to look like at that amount and I was not skinny lol

I think you are confusing body fat % with calorie deficit %?

When you take too aggressive of a calorie deficit, you are burning up bigger quantities of Lean Body Mass (muscle and everything else in your body that is not fat), unless you are getting a lot of protein and lifting (this can preserve LBM while you eat at a smaller calorie deficit). By burning up bigger quantities of LBM, you can arrive at your goal weight with a correspondingly large body fat % in comparison to when you started.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

At this point, wishing to lose 30 more pounds, you should be in the "lose 1 pound per week" category. This is a 500 calorie a day deficit. Not sure what your TDEE is to determine what % calorie deficit that is but I'm guessing it would be in the TDEE - 20% range.
  • john062
    john062 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I've also taken measurements and while they have gone down I know i'm also loosing muscle mass since i'm not lifting.
    My calf and forearm measurements are going down and I had little to no fat on those two area's of my body.
    I know its not a case of the body recomp.

My goal was to get down to 200 then start lifting/bulking and cutting till i'm back to about 220.

Burned Consumed Deficit Weight
    wk01 22,717 _10,462 _12,255 _270
    wk02 22,821 _10,770 _12,051 _260
    wk03 24,580 _10,235 _14,345 _257
    wk04 22,741 _13,616 _9,125 _254
    wk05 22,245 _13,464 _8,781 _252
    wk06 22,107 _12,796 _9,311 _249
    wk07 20,948 _11,362 _9,586 _246
    wk08 21,482 _11,200 _10,282 _244
    wk09 21,209 _12,390 _8,819 _238
    wk10 20,870 _11,170 _9,700 _242
    wk11 21,450 _13,069 _8,381 _243
    wk12 20,535 _14,157 _6,378 _242
    wk13 21,676 _11,009 _10,667 _243
    wk14 20,435 _15,197 _5,238 _234
    wk15 20,270 _14,625 _5,645 _236
    wk16 19,934 _13,664 _6,270 _235

Surprised nobody mentioned this but these are 2 things you should really be worried about.. your losing muscle, and your not lifting.. its harder to gain muscle back then maintain that muscle.. so there is really no reason why you shouldn't be lifting now to keep what your losing.. because gaining it back is way harder..

Second from your weigh in's you have drastic reductions some weeks by 4+ lbs.. that is your muscle going bye bye.. Depending on what your end result is, and if its how you look.. then you want to keep that muscle or you won't be happy at whatever weight you think is your goal.

I figured the large jumps were just water weight flux and I take the numbers with a grain of salt.
    It's the over all or monthly that I try to focus on. Which is why i'm starting to wonder after a few months of the same.

I do agree with you after my last measurements and noticed that my calf and forearms were going down I figured it had to be muscle loss. I'm in the process of trying get some free weights and Power Rock to lift at my house to start lifting now vs waiting.
    Soon as the $$$ allows I should have something to work with.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

It has nothing to do with muscle/fat ratio or BF%. No matter what your body composition is, lighter body weight means fewer calories to sustain it (taking activity levels etc out of the equation.) If you have two people, one who weighs 120 lbs and one who weighs 150 lb, both with 15% body fat, the lighter person will need fewer calories to maintain weight if their activity levels are exactly the same.

As you lose weight, your body requires fewer calories to fuel itself from a BMR perspective, no matter what else is happening.
  • john062
    Options

When you take too aggressive of a calorie deficit, you are burning up bigger quantities of Lean Body Mass (muscle and everything else in your body that is not fat), unless you are getting a lot of protein and lifting (this can preserve LBM while you eat at a smaller calorie deficit). By burning up bigger quantities of LBM, you can arrive at your goal weight with a correspondingly large body fat % in comparison to when you started.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

At this point, wishing to lose 30 more pounds, you should be in the "lose 1 pound per week" category. This is a 500 calorie a day deficit. Not sure what your TDEE is to determine what % calorie deficit that is but I'm guessing it would be in the TDEE - 20% range.

Sorry I was not clear.

I don't have the goals mixed up or anything.

I was trying to make a point that the goal on the tickers is lbs. Which everyone picks the value they put in.
    I very easily could of put 175 as my goal and then i would not be close to my goal so I wouldnt get the your close to your goal adjust to 1 lb per week.

My example was using Body Fat% since that would seem to be more of a direct relation to how the body looks.

I do not have a Body Fat% goal
    The calorie deficit % was based on what was needed to average ~2lbs loss a week.

My 200lb goal was picked just because I know what I used to look like at that weight.
    With tracking my TDEE I've been able to see if it changes and so far there is not really a change in it maybe 100 per day.
    The amount of activity has the greater effect obviously.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Sorry I was not clear.

I don't have the goals mixed up or anything.

I was trying to make a point that the goal on the tickers is lbs. Which everyone picks the value they put in.
    I very easily could of put 175 as my goal and then i would not be close to my goal so I wouldnt get the your close to your goal adjust to 1 lb per week.

My example was using Body Fat% since that would seem to be more of a direct relation to how the body looks.

I do not have a Body Fat% goal
    The calorie deficit % was based on what was needed to average ~2lbs loss a week.

My 200lb goal was picked just because I know what I used to look like at that weight.
    With tracking my TDEE I've been able to see if it changes and so far there is not really a change in it maybe 100 per day.
    The amount of activity has the greater effect obviously.

Even at a goal of 175 pounds, that would be reasonable for a 1.5 pound loss, not 2 pounds. 2 pounds is too aggressive for you, it will result in probably being less happy with your look at goal weight, and harder work down the road to develop the look you want after you have burned up too much LBM. Just because you don't have a body fat % goal doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to preserve LBM, for HEALTH reasons if nothing else.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is measured from a body media arm band

Body media arm bands are not 100% accurate. After months and months of using the device and logging 100% of my food and not losing anything, I made a spreadsheet and found that my BMF band is overestimating my burn by 12%. Since I was aiming for a 10-15% deficit based on on the BMF, I was actually at maintenance the whole time! How frustrating! I have now adjusted my activity and food intake based on this new information and the fat is starting to slowly come off.
  • john062
    Options

Body media arm bands are not 100% accurate. After months and months of using the device and logging 100% of my food and not losing anything, I made a spreadsheet and found that my BMF band is overestimating my burn by 12%. Since I was aiming for a 10-15% deficit based on on the BMF, I was actually at maintenance the whole time! How frustrating! I have now adjusted my activity and food intake based on this new information and the fat is starting to slowly come off.

Good to know, I assumed it was +-5%
    12% would be a big adjustment

Since i have a spreadsheet going i'll have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Good to know, I assumed it was +-5%
    12% would be a big adjustment

Since i have a spreadsheet going i'll have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks

It brings up a good point. It might not be a bad idea to work your way back to up maintenance, eat at maintenance for awhile (6-weeks maybe) and then see just how close to maintenance you are--that assumes reasonably accurate and consistent logging of course. You'd probably also want to weigh everyday just to have more granular data to view trends with.