How did you begin?

Options
When you first started dieting, how did you go about it? Did you only count calories, or did you also change the types of foods you ate?

I feel like a drastic lifestyle change would be difficult, and I'm not sure if I could realistically stick with it. I'd like to see what other people's experiences were like.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I still havent really changed what I eat. I still eat all the foods I love, just not ALL of the foods I love...lol You will get a ton of differing opinions on this. For me, I started counting calories, then I started walking, then Istarted lifting, then I started running. Start small and go at a reasonable pace. Rmember, you didnt get big in a few months, you wont get small that quick either.
  • jeanniehopper
    jeanniehopper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agreed with prattiger. I started with low carb and that lasted a whole two days. I didn't fall of of the wagon. I just switched to counting calories with eating anything I want. The calorie counter on here makes it very easy. I do a fit walk 5 days a week and since I've always been a big water drinker that part was easy. That's it for me. I feel good, sleep better. I don't feel l starving all of the time doing f it this way so I think this is the right way for me.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Count calories first. Once you realize which foods give you the most bang for your buck you will automatically start eating more filling (read: healthier) foods. There's usually no reason to not eat any specific food.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had done all the fad and 'quick' diets before, with no success. To be honest, they only caused me to gain weight in the long term, and by the time I turned to MFP I was wishing I was the size I was when I first thought I was fat!

I decided that this was going to be a lifestyle change, and not a diet. I realised that my progress would be slow, but that it would be sustainable. I made peace with the fact that I might not see immediate obvious results, but went ahead with the idea that I would appreciate the effort further down the track.

I started off only counting calories, but eating pretty much what I want within reason (I've never been into fast food - my problem was always portion control, not junk food). As I became comfortable with that, I added in exercise (which I struggled with at first, but now absolutely love). Now, about 18 months down the track, I am 11kg (25 pounds) lighter, but my measurements, dress size and body fat are significantly lower. Ive started to watch my macros, but still don't eat what would be considered extremely 'healthy' - I eat chocolate every day, just in moderation, and am still dropping the weight hahah

I feel this is something I could happily sustain for the rest of my life. I feel great, my health is good, and I never feel deprived of anything. :drinker: (love me some wine…in moderation hahah)
  • brittany2188
    Options
    The first time I lost weight it was with a shake program (I won't say which one) and counting calories. I lost 14 lbs and looked great. Then I stopped drinking the shakes and went back to eating "normal". I gained it all back, plus 20 lbs. I did start an anti-anxiety medication in that time which I think contributed some to the weight gain. I got back on here and started reading the forums. That really changed my idea of how it was done. I didn't learn how to eat healthy on the shake program. I learned how to eat healthy on MFP.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Count calories first. Once you realize which foods give you the most bang for your buck you will automatically start eating more filling (read: healthier) foods. There's usually no reason to not eat any specific food.

This!

Broccoli is your friend. Pasta hates you.
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options

This says it all! :smile:
  • SammieMozi1990
    Options
    It does not always have to be a drastic lifestyle change. You can start by just counting calories. If you have a bad diet, seeing the calories and nutrition information may help motivate you to cut out the bad foods. When i started i tried my best to keep under the goal calories the MFP created for me. I then added in the exercise and soon enough it will start to feel normal.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started by cutting out garbage and nasty foods like pop and pizza. Take out was banned. It was good but the hard part was sticking with it. That's when I went hunting for a coach. (I was and am still doing beachbody programs) I was invited to a challenge group on facebook and with the help of the team I learned about nutrition and consistency helping me lose 64 pounds. I was so inspired and revved up by my results I became a team coach myself! Hah!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I just counted calories. Pretty simple. I still eat what I want just as long as I can afford to.

I also started to make sure I was reaching a good protein goal which helped to keep my other macros in check.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Started with calories in - calories out. 50% Carb, 25% protein, 25% fat and just try to eat a bit healthier. I did not cut out any foods and I still have not. I did cardio and some weights, now I do mixed martial arts, some cardio and weights. Most of my weight dropped before mfp but it is so much easier with mfp. I wish I had found this site sooner.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I sort of did both but the food changes came more gradually and were more about making healthy, more filling choices (more fruits and veg, leaner protein, whole grains, etc). It was more about figuring out proper portion size of the foods I liked to eat.

So basically I agree with many of the above - start logging first, get familiar with your calorie goal and what you can have based on that then if you want, start making changes in the actual food choices.
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    I still havent really changed what I eat. I still eat all the foods I love, just not ALL of the foods I love...lol You will get a ton of differing opinions on this. For me, I started counting calories, then I started walking, then Istarted lifting, then I started running. Start small and go at a reasonable pace. Rmember, you didnt get big in a few months, you wont get small that quick either.

A little off-topic . . but the whole you didn't put it on overnight (or in a few months), you won't lose it overnight strikes me. I put on 50 pounds while I was pregnant with my son . . . I figure that was about 6 months. And, then, another 50 after I had him in just a few months.

I've been doing this for almost a year and have "only" lost 61 lbs.

It is a LOT harder to take it off than it is to put it on.

It should be noted that the weight gain during that time was because my thyroid levels were way off (I have hypothyroidism . . . I had hyperthyroidism in '94 and they irradiated my thyroid). I knew they were off but I was so embarrassed by my weight that I wouldn't go to the doctor.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

This!

Broccoli is your friend. Pasta hates you.

What?!! Pasta is not the devil!!!

But I do agree with Count Calories first. This is very much a learn as you go change for life - this is NOT a diet.

At first most people do the IIFYM (if it fits in your macros) Meaning they eat whatever whenever as long as they meet their calorie goals (and fat, carbs, proteins). As you start to notice changes you see how your body reacts and responds to certain foods. Hence why I say Pasta is not the devil. Whole Wheat/ Veggie Pasta is my meal almost every Thursday so I can fuel up for long runs. But.... this is me and needed for MY goals. Everything in moderation and you'll see where you can remove items and add items. Cutting and changing too drastic at first is recipe for you to get discouraged adn annoyed and quit.

As weeks and months go on you'll start to remove more processed foods, add more natural/orgaic foods, less junk (cake, cookies, candy) more fruits and veggies and you'll be happier and more motivated to keep moving forward!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I guess it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish... how bad your habits are to begin with.... and how much you have to lose.

1) If you're trying to get healthy overall... not just lose weight... you should probably change WHAT you eat as well as how much. For me, that was the overall goal. My family has a long history of heart problems, blood pressure, diabetes, etc. and I can see my future in that which is why I've cut back on empty calories, carbs, sugar, soda, fast food... etc.

2) The worse your habits are to begin with will guage how much you have to change to see a difference. For instance, if you're eating 3000 calories a day most of which is crap... you could make small changes like cutting out soda or fast food and see a huge difference. For me, my habits weren't too bad to begin with so I've had to really be careful with what I eat to start seeing losses.

3) Same goes for how much you have to lose.... I only have 28lbs until my goal so again... I have to really watch it and keep on the straight and narrow... meausure weigh everything to see progress... whereas I've known people that have 150lbs plus to lose and that's not really necessary for them.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Start small and work your way up. I tried to do too much at first and found myself not feeling the best. I toned it back and I've started to see the weight come off more evenly. I'm still working on the diet thing but I exercise regularly and even do a weekly kickboxing class. I'm even looking to start a second day of the week with kickboxing because I enjoy it so much. On the days I don't do that I use the P90X workouts and can really tell a difference from when I started a month ago.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a week now and I am quite pleased with how much I have learned about this process and myself in this week! The best part of MFP for me is the fact that I do not feel like I am on a diet.

I have started with calorie counting and still in this phase. I have this awful snacking habit and I love sweets and junk food. I am slowly eliminating this habit as I realize how much calories things really are and am adding in more good foods. I suspect the food changes and exercising more will come gradually.
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    Now . . . as for how did I begin which is ON topic.

I started by reducing my intake. I didn't worry about the what of the calories . . . just the number of the calories. However, in order to be able to enjoy some of my favorite snacks (I think I've tried to live on m & m's a few times in my life), I naturally start eating better. I switched to salads for lunch. And, to change things up, would add different types of things to my salads . . . increasing both fruits and vegetables in my diet.

After a while, what I was doing wasn't working as well, so I had to change again. I actually increased my calories (especially on the days I work out) and I increased my protein. I have a hard boiled egg for breakfast most mornings with a kefir based smoothie.

I still do eat the things I want to eat . . . just much less of them.

And, as far as exercising . . . I started with walking. Now, after almost a year, I go to the gym and switch between the elliptical and stationary bike. And, I do strength training.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I started with eating easy to count foods and kept it to 1200 calries with long low impact cardio sessions I was obese

As I learned more, I changed this to a more functional adn succesful game plan I recommend you start from a better place than I!

Lift heavy things/IIFYM