Love handles!!

Options
So I've been dieting and exercising every day for a month now, with a couple of cheat days here and there. I am 5"5 and weigh 53kg but I still can't seem to get rid of these love handles! Any advice?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight (almost the same as mine) there's not a lot of fat left to lose, unfortunately. If you carry weight around your hips, you might have to live with it a little and just buy clothes that don' t cut into it (bigger sizes or different styles.) I'm sure someone will reply here with a heavy-lifting-centred answer, and that's a route you can go down, but yeah...your body fat % is likely already low enough that it's just a matter of you carrying what fat you have in that area.

I find that as long as I don't wear stuff with waistbands that are snug enough to dig in over the fattest part of my hips, I don't have a muffin top at all, and I do hardly any core work or anything. The third picture in my profile shows my abdomen pretty clearly and you can see what I mean. There's fat there but I try to not put tight waistbands right across it so at least it doesn't bulge.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Maybe get rid of cheat days?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Look into heavy lifting. Something like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts would be beneficial
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    er..no cheat days...definitely not an option...I'm VERY slow dieting so I don't see eating at maintenance every now and again a big deal at all. I like the idea of lifting my super fit boyfriend keeps telling me I would enjoy lifting weights...and I tried a class last saturday and it was great! But I will only have that once a week. Is that enough?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's not all about weight, it is also about your body composition. You may have dieted yourself into skinny but did not reduce your body fat enough to get rid of them. When you need to do is to gain weight, yes... GAIN weight.

Let me explain: you will need to take up lifting and increase your muscle mass a bit, which would cause you to gain a few pounds in the months it will take you to get respectable results, after that you can safely lose the weight you gained while maintaining muscle. This would cause the weight loss to come primarily from fat, and your love handles will get better.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ideally you'd want to be lifting more than once a week. Does your gym have a free weights section? Could your BF give you advice on lifting or could you use a trainer to get your form sorted? Then you'd be away - you don't need a class to lift.

Otherwise, you could look into body weight training - something like You are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning