Women...What is the perfect way to be purposed to?

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    All depends on the woman's personality.. but for me, something original and romantic where he would put thought into it - b/c if it was just just a bend at the knee,.... he won't take the marriage seriously. Anyone can bend at the knee. hahahahha.

not anyone, what about those wounded veterans and diabetics that have lost their limbs? Though I suppose ANYONE can marry.
  • fordmusic
    fordmusic Posts: 20 Member
    MY guy did it awesomely!! It was a complete surprise- at Disney World in front of the castle during the fireworks Wishes show. Most amazing night of my life! I had one of those the world fades away and only you and him exist moments it was beautiful. :)

My guy is not a romantic at all so the fact that he planned the entire trip and everything was a complete surprise blew me away! :)
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Do it romantic and simple. Also when buying a ring a simple gold band works for both parties. Have a small wedding even it if it is at the city hall. This way you save money and it can be better spent buying a house, going on a vacation, or sitting in the bank gathering interest.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I don't know the perfect way to do it, and I'm not convinced there is a way to do it that's perfect for every girl, but I'll tell you how my husband did it.

We were 20 and had been dating for about three years. It was Christmas morning, so he came over to my parents' house where he proceeded to pretend he forgot my gift at home. He's a bad liar and I sort of suspected what my gift actually was. We went upstairs because not everyone in my house was up yet. Then, he pulled the box out of his coat, opened it up, and simply said, "Will you marry me?" Now, up until this point I had told him, in a semi-joking manner, that I wouldn't say yes to a guy that didn't take a knee when he proposed. So, I told him he better get down on a knee. He did, and I said yes. He stood up and we hugged and I remember he was shaking like a leaf. As if I'd say no! I asked later why he was so nervous and he said, "you never know what a woman might say in a situation like that." Psht! He asked my dad for "permission," so my parents knew it was going to happen, and my mom was pretty bummed that he didn't do it in front of my whole family. As if he'd do something like that.

It's not the most romantic story, but if you knew my husband you'd know not to expect some extravagant gesture. He's a simple country boy, with not a romantic bone in his body. But hey, I love him anyway. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't know the perfect way to do it, and I'm not convinced there is a way to do it that's perfect for every girl, but I'll tell you how my husband did it.

We were 20 and had been dating for about three years. It was Christmas morning, so he came over to my parents' house where he proceeded to pretend he forgot my gift at home. He's a bad liar and I sort of suspected what my gift actually was. We went upstairs because not everyone in my house was up yet. Then, he pulled the box out of his coat, opened it up, and simply said, "Will you marry me?" Now, up until this point I had told him, in a semi-joking manner, that I wouldn't say yes to a guy that didn't take a knee when he proposed. So, I told him he better get down on a knee. He did, and I said yes. He stood up and we hugged and I remember he was shaking like a leaf. As if I'd say no! I asked later why he was so nervous and he said, "you never know what a woman might say in a situation like that." Psht! He asked my dad for "permission," so my parents knew it was going to happen, and my mom was pretty bummed that he didn't do it in front of my whole family. As if he'd do something like that.

It's not the most romantic story, but if you knew my husband you'd know not to expect some extravagant gesture. He's a simple country boy, with not a romantic bone in his body. But hey, I love him anyway. :)

aww I think it is super sweet!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    It depends on the woman. I would hate to be proposed to in public like via stadium board or surprised by having all my family and friends hiding in the background. I would feel pressured and put on the spot. I prefer it be done privately and when you're absolutely sure I'll say "yes". That's how my husband proposed. I was glad he didn't buy the engagement ring ahead of time either. I wanted to pick it out myself and I did. :laugh: He knew I have strong opinions about jewelry. Moral of the story, know your girl and what she likes. What I like or what another woman likes may not be her thing.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    I would just expect a man to think of his woman and more of what she would appreciate.

I know my cousin proposed to his girlfriend on a beach down in Miami.

My daughters friends got engaged when they guy had the chef bring out the ring placed into the cherry on top of her sundae. I wouldn't want my ring inside a drink or food personally.

I also am afraid of heights so that wouldn't be exciting for me but if your girl isn't, then I think the hot air balloon ride, and a bottle of wine would be excellent, then have a nice meal after depending on the time of day.

A local guys proposal made the news. He lined up signs like you see politian's campaign line the roads saying his girlfriends name on the first sign and each sign after had one word all reading will you marry me at the last stretch of his girlfriends 5k race and he was waiting on bended knee for her at the finish line, it was all captured on video.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Just do what I did.

Bring her into the darkened house. Shut and lock the door behind her. Then kiss her gently as you slip your hand behind her head and grab her hair. Then flip on the lights, and say, "Are you going to marry me, or do I bury you in the crawlspace with the others?" Then flash a large very sharp knife in front of her eyes?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Even if its different from the way you got purposed to...:laugh:

Ours was perfect. We were making out on the couch, and I was in his lap at the time. He said, "Are you my girl," and I said yes, then he said, "Will you be my wife," and I kissed him and said, "YES!" Then we...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    A question
    A ring
    Food
    Sex

That's about as much thought as I've ever given it.

FIFY
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    we had dinner, then i gave my woman my strong seed, which made new person.
    i thought it was better than a ring.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Purposed? Huh? Proposed?

This is how my first one went....well since I knocked you up, you wanna get hitched?

This is how my second one will go....Him: Will you marry me? Me: Hell to the no...not doing that EVER again! Now, go make me a sammich!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    same way I was a few months back (still hasn't fully sunk in i'm getting married)

in our apartment after a nice dinner. simple, private =)
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    my husband proposed to me in vegas. We always said how we would love to get married there. we're both really laid back and a vegas wedding would be perfect, so it was the perfect place to get engaged. (although we didn't have our wedding there)

anywhos, we took a trip to vegas over easter weekend, and the first day we were getting all do-ded up to go out for some lunch and to cruise the strip. after I got ready I was taking some pics in the mirror in the hotel room so I said "hey come over here and take some pics with me before we leave". for pics we always stand with him behind me with his arms around me cause he's taller than I am. so he walked over and put his arms around me like normal and said "how about you put this on for our picture" and was holding the ring box in front of me. the first time I saw my ring was in the reflection in the mirror! haha.

it was perfect for us cause like I said we're very laid back, so it was wonderful that it was just him and I.

it was a surprise (sort of). but I kinda knew something was up when we got a ridiculous upgrade on our room for free. he had emailed the hotel before we left and told him he was planning on proposing so they gave us one of the huge suites!
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    I agree with those who said to know your audience. My husband and I are both introverts. I didn't want to be proposed to in a restaurant, at a sporting event, or on a holiday in front of my entire family. The way he did it was absolutely perfect for us.

We were separated Mon-Thurs due to circumstances at the time (he was caring for his terminally ill mother on hospice those days) and always really excited to see each other on Friday afternoons. He walked in the door, kissed me, then immediately got down on his knee in the middle of the living room and proposed to me. He had the ring in his pocket (in a box)...that's a good detail for sure. I was wearing a baggy t-shirt with a pair of floral pj pants and I didn't even care! We were both so happy!

I love this! My BF travels for work M-T so on Fridays after work I cant get in the door fast enough :-) That's a great story!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Number one rule before you propose....

Be certain that she will say yes!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    My ex took me to a concert and had it displayed across the GIANT screen. I looked over and he was down on one knee.. I was so surprised (and i think that's the key thing here SURPRISE HER) and the people around us started clapping. It was great.

Note: He's an ex for another reason.. LOL I said yes.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    No, I intended to say pronouncing...seeing as how you are misspelling it. Kind of like when people call it a liberry, instead of a LI- BRARY. You PRO-POSE, not PUR-POSE, it's a common mis-pronunciation.

Do you see what you have done? You've made me "that" girl.

Imma go put my hair up in a bun and find some glasses now. (humph)

All that aside, does she have a particular hobby/activity she is into? Trying to work it into that would make it more meaningful.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    No, I intended to say pronouncing...seeing as how you are misspelling it. Kind of like when people call it a liberry, instead of a LI- BRARY. You PRO-POSE, not PUR-POSE, it's a common mis-pronunciation.

Do you see what you have done? You've made me "that" girl.

Imma go put my hair up in a bun and find some glasses now. (humph)

All that aside, does she have a particular hobby/activity she is into? Trying to work it into that would make it more meaningful.

But how do you know he mis pronounced it over the internet? You don't, all you can conclude is that he spelled it wrong. Nice try though.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    I got proposed to in the middle of a dirt road at midnight