Oatmeal; whole grain carbs

Options
(this question is primarily for people who dont believe in wheat)What is your stance on oatmeal? I've heard it is supposed to be heart healthy, but can also spike your blood sugar. If your diabetic and know If that is due to additions such as maple syrup or if that is on oats alone please inform! I know this may be on an individual basis, however I can't find the answer I'm looking for. How much better are steel cut oats than instant oatmeal or rolled oats. Less processed means better for you, can one eat oats off the stalk raw or do they have to be processed to some extent? I know that paleo foodies are not suggested to eat oatmeal, however there are many who do. Do you believe in whole grain or no grain?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I believe quinoa died for the sins of all grainkind...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal nearly every day, I just don't add anything else to it. I don't often eat the packet oatmeal (though I have lately of the higher fiber kind to help meet my fiber macro).

My cholesterol lowered eating it on a regular basis, and my A1C was a heatlhy level (5.7)

I like the texture of old fashioned oats.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I believe quinoa died for the sins of all grainkind...

I'm agnostic on all things grain.
  • 13Cheryl11tom
    13Cheryl11tom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat old fashioned oatmeal almost every morning with cinnamon and flax seeds on it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My dad has diabetes and he eats oatmeal everyday. I believe his doctor recommended it. We make it from scratch and don't add additional sugar, though.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Wow thank you for The comments! I recently saw someone on my friends list post about "the oatmeal artist" and I know I have had good results eating oatmeal in the past but it is hard to tell what is goin on inside the body without regulatory measure. I usually thinly slice a banana add berries or peanut butter or something easy like that but checking out her
    Website has definitely increased my curiosity!