Help a newbie atkins...

Options
Lost 78 pounds by watching calories and working out. Went under enormous amount of stress and gained 25 back. then tried everything to lose and scales wouldn't budge. Finally dr suggested hcg diet because of high cortisol levels from stress. So I did the hcg diet and lost 25 pounds, I still have about 10 more to lose and in no way want to ever do hcg again...so I have converted over to atkins, which is way more unrestrictive. Trouble is I don't know how many calories, fat, protein to be taking in. Also, I started on Monday and when I checked ketones last night and this morning, the stick turned purple, so apparently I am in ketosis but, still not losing...any suggestions??
Been eating mainly meats, eggs, more eggs. I am sticking to below 20 carbs a day. Been swamped at work so haven't been exercising..BMR is 1552 and TDEE 1862...although I have been hanging around 1200..

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to go back to the plan that worked for you when you lost the 78 lbs. You created a calorie deficency that worked so why change over to Atkins? You won't be limited to any food groups and tossing in some weight lifting sessions will help since you only have 10 lbs. to lose.
  • kdillson70
    Options
    I suggest you eat carbs!! If you are in ketosis, it means your body is starving. If you're not losing weight it's because your body is telling you it has nothing left to lose. The fact that your body has said "no more" will eventually lead to serious health issues, organ damage and possibly death if left untreated. Your body needs carbs to survive. Please seek a Dr's advice! Good Luck!
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Keep at it and stay purple. Drink lots of water. Eat lettuce and add wheat bran or flax seed to your eggs (for fiber). Don't worry about quantities except for carbs. If you're under 20g daily, you are going to lose weight. I found it worked best in combination with exercise, and the best results were when I cut out alcohol. I got lots of help from Dr. Atkins Super-Energy Diet (book). Good luck.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll keep at it. Just trying to figure out if I should up my fat?? Lower my protein. I am staying under 20 carbs a day and have noticed my cravings are so much better than when I was eating all those carbs...(Oh, and I AM under a dr's care., see her every week, she's just more knowledgable about hcg and paleo..)