is it really too much to lose?

Options
13»

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 139.... now at 124 (roughly..it fluctuates!) and my goal is 119... it's not too much. For us 5'5" girls 113-138 is normal range!

When you are 22 years old. Not so much if you are 35 or 50.

Age shouldn't actually have much bearing on what your final weight should be...it just might take a little longer to get there.

I weighed about 118-120 when I was 22. At over 50 though to lose that much weight would sacrifice a lot of lean body mass, which would result in loss of bone mass. I have different goals now, which will leave me in the high range of healthy weight.

Hi! There are exceptions to your statement, though. It seems to be a lot less of a problem, when you are not extremely overweight in the first place. I'm 50, 5'5", right now 134 lbs, about 17% BF, size 4, and stronger than ever before.
    I have never been seriously overweight in my life, however, I started out at 135 lbs, at 25% BF, and 3 dress sizes larger 2 years ago. It took 6 months to get to 125 lbs and 15 % BF, and I certainly didn't lose an ounce of lean mass. In fact, it was quite the opposite.
    The term 'lifting heavy', that someone used before, is actually really relative. You only start out with 'as much as you can' and gradually add to it. I only keep numbers for my own reference, and never compare them to others. There is no competition here...well, only the before and after pics....
    To the OP: I was at 145 lbs at my all-time high for a short time, and a size 12. Right now, I'm only 10 lbs less now, and I'm a size 4. Don't become a slave to your bathroom scale! Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 139.... now at 124 (roughly..it fluctuates!) and my goal is 119... it's not too much. For us 5'5" girls 113-138 is normal range!

When you are 22 years old. Not so much if you are 35 or 50.

Age shouldn't actually have much bearing on what your final weight should be...it just might take a little longer to get there.

I weighed about 118-120 when I was 22. At over 50 though to lose that much weight would sacrifice a lot of lean body mass, which would result in loss of bone mass. I have different goals now, which will leave me in the high range of healthy weight.

Hi! There are exceptions to your statement, though. It seems to be a lot less of a problem, when you are not extremely overweight in the first place. I'm 50, 5'5", right now 134 lbs, about 17% BF, size 4, and stronger than ever before.
    I have never been seriously overweight in my life, however, I started out at 135 lbs, at 25% BF, and 3 dress sizes larger 2 years ago. It took 6 months to get to 125 lbs and 15 % BF, and I certainly didn't lose an ounce of lean mass. In fact, it was quite the opposite.
    The term 'lifting heavy', that someone used before, is actually really relative. You only start out with 'as much as you can' and gradually add to it. I only keep numbers for my own reference, and never compare them to others. There is no competition here...well, only the before and after pics....
    To the OP: I was at 145 lbs at my all-time high for a short time, and a size 12. Right now, I'm only 10 lbs less now, and I'm a size 4. Don't become a slave to your bathroom scale! Good luck!

That is awesome. I'm not aiming as low as 17% bf, I'm aiming for 22-24%. I'm 5'6 and 155 pounds 28% now which means my LBM is 111 pounds. I don't want to sacrifice the amount of LBM that would result in that much weight loss, I don't plan on going below 140 pounds. My low weight in the last 10 years was 142, but high bf%, my high weight was 174. I dropped those 32 pounds in about 4 months with no exercise, which was way too aggressive, and when I got there I still didn't like how I looked with the high bf%, but that was before I knew anything about body composition.