Protein Powder? Pros? Cons? Favorites?

Options
Have been reading a lot about protein powders and looking for some helpful hints. IF YOU USE THEM which one is your favorite and why. What are some recipes you use the powder in and how do you incorporate it into your daily meal plan while at the same time eating enough real food.

Replies

• DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Phase 8 has some good flavors. Currently I'm using MusclePharm Cinnamon roll which is also good.

I usually drink it straight with water, but do mix it in with oats or make protein pancakes.
  • gjac929
    gjac929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Protein Powder. It comes in many flavors and is 50 gms of protein per serving. Flavors I like are strawberries & cream, Banana cream, vanilla, cookies & cream and dutch chocolate. I mix it with Mootopia, which is lactose free milk from HEB grocery store. It has 12 gms of protein per serving and only 6 gms of sugar in the fat free. You can also get it in vanilla but it has 12 gms of sugar. They both taste great. I bought a bullet blender and I sometimes put the shake in the blender and mix it with crushed and it is like having a real shake.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been using Giant Sports Delicious Protein (Cookies and Cream is my fav). They're great. I never meet my protein macro without at least 1 scoop a day... easy, quick 30 grams... just like that. Best thing ever when I get home from a workout.
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Protein Powder. It comes in many flavors and is 50 gms of protein per serving. Flavors I like are strawberries & cream, Banana cream, vanilla, cookies & cream and dutch chocolate. I mix it with Mootopia, which is lactose free milk from HEB grocery store. It has 12 gms of protein per serving and only 6 gms of sugar in the fat free. You can also get it in vanilla but it has 12 gms of sugar. They both taste great. I bought a bullet blender and I sometimes put the shake in the blender and mix it with crushed and it is like having a real shake.

My husband likes to mix the Isopure with water and ice (sometimes with fresh fruit or sugar-free strawberry or chocolate syrup), while I use low-fat milk instead of water. I have also heard of adding a little frozen greek yogurt.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    my favorite for taste and consistency is ON Chocolate Casein.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Natural (chocolate). I buy it off of Amazon. I mix it with almond (or coconut) milk, ice, chocolate PB2, cocoa powder, spinach (or kale), and xanthan gum to make a smoothie everyday. The xanthan gum is a thickener that I add to make it more like a pudding consistency to eat it instead of drink it.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Optimum Nutrition's Extreme Milk Chocolate flavored whey protein. Have already gone through a 2 pound tub and bought the 5 pounder last night. This stuff is excellent, mixes well and comes in some great flavors. I also bought the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor to mix in some baked recipes. Look at bodybuilding.com for some tasty recipes for baked goodies made with protein powder. I made Pumpkin Protein Bars last week and they were incredibly good. Tasted like a "real" dessert.

Good luck!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use Energy First whey protein isolate - chocolate. It's cold processed (undenatured) protein that comes from grass fed cows not treated with Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH). Whether or not any of that matters in terms of health and nutrition is hard to say, but it might, and it certainly can't hurt if the cows are fed what they naturally eat.

For each 25g scoop you get 20g of protein, which is a greater percentage than almost every powder I've seen. I've been using it for some time and like it a lot. It's expensive if you only buy one container but prices are reasonable if you get 4 or more, and you get free shipping, which I think is a good deal. Good luck with your research.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I use NOW plain whey protein. I hate the fake sugar flavored powders.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Look at bodybuilding.com for some tasty recipes for baked goodies made with protein powder. I made Pumpkin Protein Bars last week and they were incredibly good. Tasted like a "real" dessert.

Good luck!

This is one of the main reasons I am really looking into it seriously. I am eager to try some of these recipes as I am also following Jamie Eason's workout plan but wasn't sure about which protein powders were the best to use.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have Pure Protein triple chocolate shake and vanilla creme shake For my lunch, Ive been doing up a shake with 1 scoop chocolate powder, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1 banana 1/2c strawberries, 2/3c water and several ice cubes. It tastes amazing and really fills me up. Sometimes I switch out the choco and vanilla powder depending on my mood as that shake goes well with both.
  • Tenpest
    Tenpest Posts: 3
    Options
    I use Mutant Whey Triple Chocolate powder, tastes great with water or milk and doesn't kill the wallet.