Do you HAVE to eat egg whites only?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. One per day most days.

When I get an egg sub at Subway though, I go with the white. It tastes exactly the same and has fewer calories. That is the only time I bother with whites.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    eat the whole egg they are delicious and good for you
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    In the quantity with which I consume them when i have them, it is advantageous for me to eat the macronutrients contained in just the whites and eat the nutrition that I give up by not consuming the yolks in other food choices later in my day...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg unless the recipe I'm using calls specifically for whites.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The whole thing, and regular bacon when I have bacon. I do eat a lot of turkey, but don't like turkey bacon.
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    but don't like turkey bacon.
    That stuff doesn't even taste like turkey. Makes me wonder what kind of discarded old chicken I'm really eating. :sick:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd dig up the study on people who ate eggs for breakfast losing more weight than the ones who didn't. Eat the whole egg! I go weeks eating eggs for dinner every night.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs at least once a week -- the whole egg, thank you very much, none of this eggwhite blech for me :) I typically toss a bit of butter in a pan, dice up some onions and get them all nice and lovely, add in a ton of spinach and wilt it all, then put in 3-4 beaten eggs and scramble it all together until the eggs are totally cooked. Most times, I then mix in some shredded asiago, gaze lovingly at the whole thing on my plate, add a lovely dose of cholula, then kick back in my recliner, put on Lost Girl, and enjoy.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    To go into a little bit more depth for the OP:

How many calories do you want to eat for breakfast? How many for lunch? Dinner? Snacks? How much fat should you eat in a day? How much protein do you need?

If you plan out your day, know how much you can eat for breakfast, and then fit the whole egg in, go for it! Fat (a necessary part of any diet, don't be afraid of it) and protein to start the day is great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As others have said, all of the nutrition is in the yolk. i do use egg white from a carton along with whole eggs to increase my food volume and protein with less calorie hit, but I always make sure the actual nutrition part is included in there...that would be yolk.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. When you want extra protein and less fat, eat egg beaters. If you fry, the large egg is 70 calories, and about 92 with the added oil (around 80-85 if you use a misting of cooking spray). If you boil, it's straight up 70 calories.

Eggs are one of the best foods on the planet.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the yummy part! I eat the whole egg, always.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Whole egg. Otherwise, why bother?
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have bacon and 2 eggs(with runny yolks) for breakfast every 3rd day..
    plus I often cook other foods with eggs on the other days like pancakes and crumpets and fritters

and have been doing so for 9+ months

My cholesterol level at the beginning of my "lifestyle change" on 8th June 2013 was 6.6 and as of the 21st March 2014 it was 5.1

So as others said unless your body has a problem with Cholesterol from food.. the yolks are generally fine to eat.. not to mention so yummy!! oh and good for you...

in my case 6-10 eggs a week has not had an effect on my cholesterol..
    but reducing (not removing) the KFC and the McDonalds and the Potato crisps and the pasta and the sodas and the commercial fruit juices etc (and I had to remove dairy :( due to allergies)) seem to been what has made the difference
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    my family is embarking on the journey to eat healthier, and in the morning we tend to have eggs/turkey bacon and fruit for breakfast. This turns into a debate of whether or not to have only egg whites or if a whole egg is going to cause setbacks to our journey.

Anyone have regular whole eggs for breakfast?

seriously?? you must be yolking?

This cracks me up. I eggree... must be a yolk.

EAT ALL THE EGGZ!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The turkey bacon is worse for you than the egg yolk.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    but don't like turkey bacon.
    That stuff doesn't even taste like turkey. Makes me wonder what kind of discarded old chicken I'm really eating. :sick:

I don't think I've tried turkey bacon (no real desire there), but I have recently discovered that I don't hate turkey sausage.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

in my case 6-10 eggs a week has not had an effect on my cholesterol..

My dad ate 3 eggs every day for 50 years or more and never had a cholesterol problem.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't HAVE to eat egg whites. I hate eggs. Especially the white bit.
  • cdalrym
    cdalrym Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually eat only the yolk, no whites, and still losing weight. They're a common allergen and can cause inflammation, and I just can't tolerate them anymore. I get horrible stomach cramps. Even with people not sensitive to eggs, eating large amounts of just the whites can be rough on your digestive system: http://eatinglocalandorganic.com/the-case-against-egg-whites/

I honestly think the whole obsession with egg white omelettes and such is just a leftover from the 1970s - 80s low fat craze. We know whole eggs are better for you now.