Should kids do juice cleanses?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Frankly the parents that let their kids do juice cleanses are worse than those that sometimes feed their kids fast food or so called junk. Also shows supreme ignorance by the parents, what are they cleansing exactly? Besides their wallets of course
When little cherub-cheeked Sofia Davella thinks the coast is clear, the 6-year-old drags a footstool alongside the fridge in order to reach her favorite forbidden goodies on the high shelf. But it’s not a stash of sugary confections that the Long Island City first-grader craves. It’s the mystery green and purple juices that are part of her mom’s cleanse program.

“I get upset — they’re expensive, up to $80 a day,” says mom Sandra Davella, a 44-year-old banker.

Junior juicers like Sofia are taking a cue from their health-conscious parents, and getting in on the act themselves — starting with juices and raw foods and graduating to modified cleanses, all in the name of cleaner living, if not weight management.

Dherbs.com, a California-based company, markets a set of four Children’s Cleanse liquid extracts for $99 that are meant to be paired with a raw diet and promise “to nourish and cleanse” everything from the lungs and liver to the adrenals and colon. The program is aimed at kids ages 2 to 12, and can be customized for up to 14 days.

“In the last few years, we’ve seen an increase of almost 50 percent in sales of Children’s Cleanse,” says company representative Jamelle Dolphin.

And that’s causing alarm among medical professionals.

Marisol Gonzalez, MD, who specializes in adolescent medicine in Summit, NJ, says she finds it distressing — though not uncommon — when kids pervert adult-sanctioned lifestyle choices, such as a cleanse.

“The [kids are] quoting Dr. Oz to me,” says Gonzalez. “[But] unless you’re doing [a medical procedure such as] a colonic [or a] colonoscopy, kids need to eat.

“The parents want their kids to lose a few pounds and ‘eat healthy’ — but your body needs a certain number of calories for your heart to beat. If [you cleanse] before puberty, you can delay growth.”

And, she warns, an “awareness of cleanses at a very young age could lead to eating disorder behaviors.”

On Monday, Heyman finally buckled: She and her 17-year-old daughter Emmy began a five-day BluePrint cleanse together while Dad is away on a business trip — but not before feasting on pizza (with Brussels sprouts) the night before.

“It’s kind of crazy: Most people do three days, but we’re doing five on the hardest cleanse called ‘Excavation’ — the one with all the green juices,” says Emmy, who dubbed herself “kale queen” at age 4.

The five-day, $600, intensive program costs double what Mom pays for groceries for a family of four (another daughter, also a cleanse vet with Mom, is in college). She did, however, nab a 20 percent discount: “We’re juicing on sale!”

Joanne insists that their cleanse isn’t weight-driven, but to reap other health benefits: “For younger people, it clears up your skin. Yes, you can lose a few pounds, but it’s really about how you feel.

“This is in the spirit of healthy experimentation — wanting to feel great, that clarity you get inside and out.”

Still, she says she doesn’t want her daughter to overdo it.

“It’s one thing for a woman in her 30s to do a cleanse before a big event, but a teenager shouldn’t be in that cycle,” says Joanne. “They should be in a healthy relationship with food and their body.”

But tell that to a teenager who just wants to fit in.

Victoria Rodriguez, a high school senior from Bay Ridge, lost 15 pounds after completing a 10-day juicing cleanse with her health-conscious mom, Helen Ortiz.

“Prom is coming up and it’s the best time to try it. I wanted to fit into a smaller dress, and see if I was able to see a difference in my body,” says the 18-year-old.

“I’m doing another one again in a couple of days. I want to lose more.”

Image-conscious teens, it would seem, are more willing to sacrifice major food groups than access to their Instagram account.

“It’s not that bad — you have cilantro, celery, apples, kale,” says Rodriguez, adding, “But it was really hard for my mom.”

http://nypost.com/2014/04/01/debate-sparks-over-the-growing-number-of-kids-on-juice-cleanses/

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Western diet bad. No need protein. Juiiiiceeeee
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    That's just sick. :angry:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    This.... makes me kind of sick.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    “I’m doing another one again in a couple of days. I want to lose more.”

Sounds like girls I knew growing up. They wouldn't eat for weeks. Kids will find a way, but I don't think the parents should enable it. The parents should also be aware of the example they set.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    oh my god.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yuck.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    nobody needs to do a freaking cleanse. that drives me crazy by itself. but kids?! wtf....

as so many people have said before here....and should be known to every educated adult.... the body cleanses itself for goodness sake. if you want better skin don't eat crap!

these people make me mad :angry:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Sigh... It's not hard to get your kids to eat a better variety of healthy foods, if you let them have the things they like as well. It's especially easy when you're the one supplying them with food. Juice is not food...
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    Soon as I saw "Dr. Oz"...
    NO!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That's definitely a case for CPS. I would call that child abuse and neglect.....but that's just me.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    $600??? For five days??? :huh: Not that my mom would have let me do this anyways, but the cost would have really sent her over the edge!!:laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    *Edit - Actually, I don't believe in taking children from the home for anything less than physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.

This isn't safe, and I hope some kind of intervention occurs, but these kids shouldn't be taken from a home for this.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options

“It’s one thing for a woman in her 30s to do a cleanse before a big event, but a teenager shouldn’t be in that cycle,” says Joanne. “They should be in a healthy relationship with food and their body.”

Image-conscious teens, it would seem, are more willing to sacrifice major food groups than access to their Instagram account.

:noway: I love the acknowledgement by the parent that this doesnt constitute a healthy relationship with food and the body. Then how about actually doing some parenting and at least lead by example :grumble:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    If it's not illegal to feed your child so much junk in such dangerous amounts that their completely morbidly obese and the laughing stock of the school, if it's not illegal to never cook a single drop and never teach your child a single thing about nutrition and start them off in life completely stunted, than no, it should not be illegal for your kids to be inspired by your weight loss and do a cleanse.

They're both detrimental, however, it is the parents choice.

CPS will only concern themselves if there is no food in the house.

Personally I think they should emancipate at 16, that's my opinion.

:flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No wonder the banking system is in trouble if bankers are this stupid.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That's definitely a case for CPS. I would call that child abuse and neglect.....but that's just me.

Yep.... me too....
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    *facepalm* I am seeing a lot of this at my high school. I am a current senior, and prom will be in a few weeks. There's already a ton of people who are beginning to diet for it.

I do not understand how someone can be satisfied on these cleanses. I am a diabetic (I use MFP to track my carbs and insulin amounts), and I can notice a huge difference between how my BG spikes when I have an apple or a glass of juice. These cleanses are eliminating the fiber and starches that help keep us feeling full, and it only causes these "juices" to become sugar water.

Yes, that girl lost ten pounds while on one of these cleanses, but it is very likely water weight from what I assume to be the decreased amount of sodium while on the cleanse. Once she starts eating normally, the weight will be guaranteed to come back -which will just cause her to return to the vicious cycle of these fad diets.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Ages 2-12? 2?! What the WHAT?! This sounds like something my mom would've done to me if she'd known about it. Unbelievable.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options