Scared of maintance

Options
2»

Replies

• SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging! You'll probably find that the loss slows right down when you get near to your goal and most people recommend that you reduce your target loss to half a pound a week - this is good practice for maintenance :-)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for 6 months no dramas. Once at goal I let mfp work out my maintenance calories. Sometimes I go a little over, often a little under. Understand weight fluctuates. Don't be a slave to the scale. Your clothes will tell you how you are doing. I am following a lifting programme to tighten and tone, and loving it.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am not even near my goal, but maintance scares me more. I need encouraging stories of people keeping it off and tips!! I see so many people lose the weight (mostly family members) just to gain it back and possibly more.

I'm very close to my goal weight which is ideal weight for my age and height. Now, I'm thinking I may go a bit lower, closer to the low end of my healthy range. I've heard that many gain a few pounds when they go into maintenance and size 2 is enticing :blushing: so losing a couple pounds extra will likely be what I do. I've packed up my larger clothes to donate. I bought one pair of smaller jeans (size 4) a couple of weeks ago that will be too big shortly. I will keep those but the day I reach my goal weight, I'm going shopping and treat myself. That morning exercise routine will be just a bit easier :laugh: My goal is fitness so I won't be backing down on the exercise or healthy eating.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Ten months in maintenance here. Couldn't say it any better than Cwolfman13 already did.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    lost 75 pounds...been in maintenance for over 2 years now. Maintenance is awesome!

Edit: Another thought...
    I tried to stop logging a while after hitting maintenance. It did not work out well for me. Some weight crept back on. So, log I must and log I will. Everything - from egg white to bourbon.

Cheers!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think the key to maintenance is in the planning...fail to plan, plan to fail.

I am 3lbs from maintenance...and I have my plan in place.

I continue to eat at TDEE-15% until I hit goal weight of 155. I do this as I know that as I up my calories to maintenance (100 a week) I will continue to lose weight which I am fine with. I want that cushion.

This will be a slow transition for me and will probably take about 5-6 weeks, I will continue to log my food, continue my weight lifting and add in biking since the weather will be warmer by then.

As soon as I hit my maintenance calories (which should be about 2100) I will sit there for 4-6 weeks and continue to weigh myself watching to see what happens, knowing I may gain a bit due to replenishing of glycogen...hence the buffer between goal weight and what I will weigh when I hit maintenance.

That is short term...long term continue to log here and not go over my maintenance.

I may even eat under maintenance through the week so I have wiggle room on the weekends since summer is coming....:drinker: and summer means bbq's with ribs, steak, salads and drinks by the pool :drinker:

Cwolfman13 has it down tho...

don't be scared of maintenance but plan for it...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm a bit scared of it but because I'm worried I'll eat over too much - I keep a lower goal right now because I know I tend to do that, even if I don't often eat above maintenance. My plan though, whenever I actually reach my goal, is to increase by 200 calories only. That way if I go over occasionally, it won't be a big deal (and I'll adjust if I lose more - but to be fair, my goal weight could be lower).