How to set my goal

Options
So I know that the scale is a terrible way to measure success, but I would be interested to know how others handle it.

So here's my deal.....I am 51 and have been overweight pretty much my whole life, or at least the last 30 years. I am 5'11" and at one time I was as high as about 265. About 15 years ago, I lost around 30-40, and then I stayed around 225-230 for a long time. In 2012, a coworker introduce me to MFP and I went from 230 to 195. That was great but a couple of "distractions" came along and over the next year I gained back about 15. So I was at 210 in January of this year when I decided to get started behaving again. In the past 2-3 months I have lost 22, so now I am at about 188, which is the lowest I have been on 30 years. I am not ready to say that I am at my goal weight, but I know logically that I am getting close. I don't really care whether my "goal" is 180 or 175 or 172 or whatever.

Just wondering how others who have never been at their right weight determine what that right weight is. Again, I don't really care and I feel awesome, and I am becoming a serious hottie (LOL), but just curious.