NET CALORIES OR NOT???

Options
Okay so I understand more but I have 1 more question.
In order to maintain my weight I should eat Aprox 1700, and in order to lose I should eat 1200. Then If I excersize and burn 300-450 calories do I leave it as such, or do I eat back those calories I get a NET of 1200??

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay so I understand more but I have 1 more question.
    In order to maintain my weight I should eat Aprox 1700, and in order to lose I should eat 1200. Then If I excersize and burn 300-450 calories do I leave it as such, or do I eat back those calories I get a NET of 1200??

MFP has already factored in your calorie loss, so if your calorie goal is 1700 you eat 1700 and if you exercise you can eat those calories as well. The "calorie goal" is set for if you do not exercise, so eat all 1700 and if you exercise, eat those as well :) 1700 is the number your body needs to function through the day based on your activity level.
  • LeahBluitt
    Options
    How does MFP already factor in anything if I am the one who input my calorie and fitness goal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How does MFP already factor in anything if I am the one who input my calorie and fitness goal?

statistical averages just like any of these calculators. statistically speaking individuals of similar stats (sex, age, height, weight, activity level) are going to "burn" roughly similar calories...i.e. on average, women "burn" around 1800 - 2000 with minimal exercise to maintain and men "burn" roughly 2300 to maintain. The greatest of your calorie requirements are known as your BMR which is a medically established term for the calories you burn just existing...if you didn't do **** else but exist. In my case, that's almost 1800 calories...for most women it's 1300 - 1500 calories... and yes...you net with MFP because that's the way this tool is designed. With other calculators you include some estimate of exercise in your activity level.

Also, you told MFP you wanted to lose X Lbs per week....500 calories per day (3500 per week) is 1 Lb per week....10000 calories per day deficit is 2 Lbs per week deficit from you non-exercise maintenance number. MFP is a calculator...it calculates **** and stuff...and 1200 is as low as MFP will go because, well...it's damned hard to actually get any fitness and be actually healthy and get proper nutrition on much less.

In RE to your fitness goal...that's just for you...MFP doesn't believe you do it until you log it which is when you get those calories. This is beneficial to people who are for **** in their consistency fitness wise...they just net to their paltry calorie goal and they will lose weight...but if they go rock their fitness they get to eat more and accomplish the same thing.
  • ywalchle
    Options
    when you joined you put in your current weight, height and age as well as your activity level and how much you want to lose a week. Based on all of this MFP sets a "goal" for your calorie intake for a day of whatever activity level you set. If you were truthful in your active level (if you sit around all day and don't move a lot setting it to seditary and if your are active a lot setting it appropriately) it will set it for how much your body actively earns in a normal day.
  • ywalchle
    Options
    MFP is a calculator...it calculates **** and stuff...

yeah what he said LOL
  • LeahBluitt
    Options
    Thank you!! I get it! I will eat back those calories! So excersize is like my ticket to eat more but still lose :)
    I don't sit around all day, but I'm a stay at home mom so I fill sippy cups, read books, play peek-a-boo, watch kid shows, and clean the house. Nothing super physical. And I don't input house cleaning or laundry or anything like that. But every evening my husband and I do insanity, and that's where all my calorie loss comes in. I use a HRM.
    Some say 1200 is too low, but it's what is recommended for my size. I'm just small, but I have to lose this baby weight! Not small as in skinny, but small as in short with a petite frame.
  • ywalchle
    Options
    oh you can totally add in cleaning so long as it's vigerous! I recently bought a fitbit to see how it worked with me and I'm LOVING mine. I'm burning off hella calories just doing my normal everyday job and things around the house! I don't eat back all the calories every day, but I'm close (I leave a little room for error). It not only will show you how many calories you burn TOTAL for a day (which will let you know if your activity level is set correct) but on days where I'm sitting around, it adjust my calories for the day too so that I'm not over eating those days. They are a little pricey, but I find it totally worth it.

My sister and mom are both short, my mom's just over 5 foot and my sister is just under. So I can see where you are coming from :) (I got lucky and stole all the height!)
  • LeahBluitt
    Options
    Well well well I figured out why I have been keeping a strict 1200 calorie diet, vigorous excersize, and havnt lost a single pound in 5 weeks.
    I havnt been eating back any calories... AND I have been logging insanity as 200-300 and it was so little that I wouldn't eat it back. But today I used a HRM and I burned 588 in the normal routine we do. My body has been thinking I'm only getting 600 calories and I'm probably insarvation mode!! I'm gonna eat those back starting tomorrow and see how my weightloss comes along!
    Wish me luck!!
  • ywalchle
    Options
    Yeah you might have just been starving your body of the fuel it needs, hopefully this will kick start your weight loss and you'll be down in no time at all :)