How good a workout IS pole dancing?

Options
I've heard it's wicked awesome exercise. But is it really? How much strength would you have to build up before you actually do it?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I only did 2 classes (went with a friend) but man it was hard work. My obliques and shoulders were on fire! They should have beginner classes if you're just starting out. Usually you don't do anything involving lifting yourself off the floor until at least intermediate level classes. Usually you'll learn how to swing around, slowly drop to the floor, and how to move around, but no acrobatics until later. At least that's how it was in the classes that I saw.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How much strength would you have to build up before you actually do it?

None. You take the classes to build strength; you don't have to build strength to take the classes
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about it is that you can start from very little strengh. Might be a little dry as you start building up strength, but it definitely builds it! I'd been doing it for several months and decided to try a pull-up at a playground on a whim. I could crank em out like nothing! Felt amazing :) And beyond strength, it's good for flexibility and cardio as well! Gah, I miss it!
  • Regina10k
    Options
    VERY GOOD CORE WORK OUT..AND MUSCLE TONE...BUT MOST OF ALL FUN.
    Check out twisted fitness.com va beach web site. I went there for a year...AWESOME women's only gym