Try to understand the concept behind low carb diets

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    also carbs have sugar and your body uses it for energy. when you eat less carbs, the body goes to the fat to use for energy.
    If I eat less than my TDEE, this (the body goes to the fat to use for energy) happens regardless of whether the food I ate during the day was protein, fat, or carbs. Where else would the extra energy to come from?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Good reading, this thread is." - Yoda
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    So, the benefit is for diabetics? Is blood sugar control the only benefit, or are there others? I personally feel suggish when I cut carbs.
    Our species is meant to live on mostly plants, and plants are usually heavy in carbohydrates. We all have a "sweet tooth" and many people, including myself, have reported low energy on a low carb diet.

The benefit for diabetics controlling their sugar intake is the ability to control their blood sugar. What they don't tell you is that if you eat a low fat, plant based diet, you can reverse your diabetes, and drastically reduce your intramyocellular lipid. It is a lot more profitable to have patients (euphemism for "customer") eating a high fat diet, and "control" their diabetes by reducing dietary carbohydrate intake. There is no profit to be made from people that reverse their diabetes through a proper whole foods plant based diet.

NO NO NO. Don't listen to this guy. He is 100% wrong.

I eat a low carb diet, and like a PP stated, it is simply a way to restrict calories. Eating high fat, moderate protein, and low carb makes you feel full longer which means less eating, which means fewer carbs.

I'm not sure what you meant by carbs having more calories, but 1 g of carbs has 4 cals, 1 g of protein has 4 cals, and 1 g of fat has 9 cals.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So, the benefit is for diabetics? Is blood sugar control the only benefit, or are there others? I personally feel suggish when I cut carbs.
    Our species is meant to live on mostly plants, and plants are usually heavy in carbohydrates. We all have a "sweet tooth" and many people, including myself, have reported low energy on a low carb diet.

The benefit for diabetics controlling their sugar intake is the ability to control their blood sugar. What they don't tell you is that if you eat a low fat, plant based diet, you can reverse your diabetes, and drastically reduce your intramyocellular lipid. It is a lot more profitable to have patients (euphemism for "customer") eating a high fat diet, and "control" their diabetes by reducing dietary carbohydrate intake. There is no profit to be made from people that reverse their diabetes through a proper whole foods plant based diet.

I thought you and I went through this whole "meant" think the other day? We are "meant" to eat. Period. WHAT we eat is a personal choice (at least in the land(s) of plenty). Modern choices like veganism are really only possibly to us due to modern technologies, so it is hardly the way we are "meant" to be.

My Doc and Dietician told me to eat moderate carbs from whole food sources as much as possible, to eat some protein and some fat. And to exercise. [Plus limit portion size if you are overweight.] I've done that, and can control my blood sugar. THEY want me to be healthy, not to be a "customer" and keep coming back for more meds. I could eat a plant-based diet of mashed potato and pasta and bananas... but that wouldn't be good for my blood sugar. And I'd need metformin. And that would make my Doc unhappy.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My personal take on carbs is this:

If you are an overweight, sedentary person, you could benefit from reducing your carbs. In reality, the overweight desk-jockey who is a couch potato in the evenings probably just needs a better balance of fat/carb/protein, meaning eat more fat & protein and less carbs.

If you are a healthy weight and active, there is no reason to go very low carb. In fact, you can use carbs (and fats) to fuel your activity.

That being said, all 3 macro nutrients are important and necessary and should be in some sort of balance (whatever works best for you).
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    The advantage of low carb diets is that protein and fat are very filling so you eat less calories without feeling like you're eating less calories because you feel full. That being said, it can cause intense cravings for sugar and cause bingeing so there are downsides too. In my opinion the best option is to go with a balanced diet with a moderate calorie deficit. Eat the foods you love and hit your macros and you're good to go.

Honestly, when I drastically reduced my carb intake, I had LESS cravings for sugar. That might not be the case for everyone though.. I think as long as you are eating plenty of fat, the cravings aren't there. Although, then when you DO eat more carbs than usual... that's when the cravings strike!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I eat a low carb diet, and like a PP stated, it is simply a way to restrict calories. Eating high fat, moderate protein, and low carb makes you feel full longer which means less eating, which means fewer carbs.

I'm not sure what you meant by carbs having more calories, but 1 g of carbs has 4 cals, 1 g of protein has 4 cals, and 1 g of fat has 9 cals.

I apologize I made a false assumption. Thank you for informing me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    because I love to eat...and high carbs don't allow me to eat a ton of food. And because I've been at this for three years and haven't lost a whole lot, so I had to switch something up (I was eating 400g of carbs, dropped to between 100-150g), and because I love weight lifting, so I find protein and fats aid in heavier lifts, and because I still have "carb days" instead of "cheat days" so I still have my sushi and Starbucks. And because it's no one's business but mine how I hit my macros.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    because I love to eat...and high carbs don't allow me to eat a ton of food. And because I've been at this for three years and haven't lost a whole lot, so I had to switch something up (I was eating 400g of carbs, dropped to between 100-150g), and because I love weight lifting, so I find protein and fats aid in heavier lifts, and because I still have "carb days" instead of "cheat days" so I still have my sushi and Starbucks. And because it's no one's business but mine how I hit my macros.

That's great, and we all do have to find our own path. Just know the point of the topic is to be educated on the pros and cons of the diet. Not to attack anyone using it.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think if you reach your protein and fat macros ... carbs will come down naturally. So I would say we are all KIND OF on a low carb diet. I still eat over 100g most days. But I'm not really having a problem with it. I love carbs too ... nom nom nom.

I am giving up pasta for lent...I feel like it's helped a lot with the bloating. I used to eat a **** ton.

So to each their own, but I don't understand eliminating them completely ESPECIALLY if you are exercising a lot. You need carbs then.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

You yell this, yet you have absolutely nothing to say to counter it. Do a little more research.
  • MelRC117
    Options

I apologize I made a false assumption. Thank you for informing me.

The other thing I want to point out for low carb diets, and one I never would have believed myself until I saw how the numbers played out, but you can't go crazy on calories just because you're on a low carb diet. Hopefully your brother realizes that if he chooses to cut calories by reducing carbs and upping fats, that he can't eat 3 pounds of bacon and a block of cheese for breakfast and still lose weight.

I personally feel more energetic going low carb and have never felt the "carb flu" that some people get when the cut down carbs. Others feel the opposite.
  • MelRC117
    Options

You yell this, yet you have absolutely nothing to say to counter it. Do a little more research.
    No, I will not go through the time to show how ridiculous you are...you do that to yourself. Looks like you need to do a little more research to support your 100% incorrect claim.
  • GRTGRAM68
    GRTGRAM68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to stay to half the carbs recommended on site. I went over, had bread three times this week and gained a pound. Trying no flour and a wee sugar only on Sundays. If I stick to it, I know it will work.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add.... once you have diabetes you cannot unhave it. You can get to the point where you don't need medication and it's well controlled by diet and exercise. But once your pancreas stop working properly there is no fix it button. So when people talk about "reversing" diabetes, it doesn't mean that you no longer have the condition. It means that you have diabetes but you don't need to take medication to deal with it. If you have "reversed" diabetes then you must continue to constantly monitor your diet and your exercise levels etc. Just thought I'd throw that in there in case some people weren't aware.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I did counter you, but you've apparently not responded to my post yet...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1 gram of carbohydrates is 4 calories, 1 gram of protein is also 4 calories and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.

When I was 27 I weighed 263 lbs. I started getting less than 10% of my calories from fat and ate vegetarian and lost 80 odd pounds. When I stopped eating vegetarian the weight came back because I had no idea how to live without completely eliminating fat and meat from my diet.

Now I eat everything, I just dont eat it by the truckload. In fact as a runner I get a LOT more calories than most but I need them especially as my mileage picks up heading into the spring and summer and a marathon, 2 half marathons, tough mudder, a spartan trifecta and a bunch of 5/10Ks. I don't fear carbs, fats, or any food at all except mushrooms, they are yucky and grown in poo.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I prefer a 'moderate' carb diet. I'm currently doing 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat, and this works really well for me. I can eat lots of fruit, veggies, low fat dairy, and a moderate amount of whole grains without going over my daily limit of 170 grams of carbs. I will have a piece of white bread, a small serving of pasta, or a small dessert once in a while. I consider these foods 'treats' so I make sure not to overdo it. I don't feel like my diet is restrictive at all, which makes it easier to follow.

Eating fewer carbs has vastly reduced my cravings for sweets and has gotten my appetite under control. I find that this moderate carb diet is the best choice for me. I have plenty of energy, I feel full after my meals, I don't crave 'forbidden' foods, and I'm losing weight.

Low carb diets might work well for some people. We're all different and our bodies have different needs. I don't think, however, that a low carb diet is a good idea for most people, and it certainly isn't necessary for most people to achieve weight loss.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My marriage is the opposite of "Jack Sprat can eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean." My husband is diabetic, and I'm high choleseterol. We have eliminated all "white foods" (white flour, white rice, white pasta, white potatoes) from our household. If he eats pasta, rice, cereal, bread, even the whole grain versions, his sugar is up the next. day, even if he isn't overeating. Also, if he eats carbs like cereal for breakfast or pasta, he wants more and more. Even certain fruits, such as grapes, could raise his blood sugar. He eats eggs almost every day for breakfast, and if he orders a steak in a restaurant, usually has two vegetables rather than a veggie and a starch. I'm the reverse -- I seldom eat eggs and keep servings of meat to between 2 and 4 ounces. When he's out of town, I usually make pasta for myself and my sons, and if I eat a cup of pasta I'm full, whereas he wouldn't be able to stop. the point is -- people have different chemistries and people who develop Type II diabetes may already have physical and emotional relationships to sugars and carbs that the rest of us don't have.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

True, they tell you the opposite of that, in fact. Carbs should be eaten with protein and *especially* fats to avoid glucose spikes.