when did you stop feeling like you were about to die from ex

Options
Being overweight and not exercising has finally taken it's toll on my body. walking up huge hills, riding my bike and the stairmaster all leave me out of breath and feeling horrible. Yesterday I was walking up a massive hill. (I have never seen a bike rider who was able to peddle up the hill..so it's not like I am some fat lazy person calling a bunny hill a mountain) Anyways I was huffing and puffing like a crazed animal when behind me whizzes a runner. I couldn't believe my eyes! she ran this hill with no problem.
When will I be able to WALK let along run a hill like this without feeling like passing out.?

Replies

• JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You CAN and you WILL!! That runner has probably been excersising for quite a while. Keep at it, one day you'll be the runner passing the new walker and you can tell her... "It's ok to walk, that was me then, look at me now!"

Keep up the good work. You'll get there.:flowerforyou:
  • zumbalori
    zumbalori Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It may take a little while but keep at it! I have been steadily working out for about 3 years now. I started off just walking 3 days a week and every week I added another day. Before long, maybe a few months or so, I started jogging during my walk but not the whole way, It just kept getting easier! Now, I belong to a gym and go 6 days a week most weeks and can hang in there for a whole hour of hard cardio like Zumba or Kickboxing. The important thing, DON'T GIVE UP! You can and will get there! =]
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It will come.
    I just did my first 5k with out stopping - I ran the whole thing.
    A year ago I smoked, I never thought that I would be able to do it.
    It will come.
    Just keep at it - keep pushing - and try it - try putting a little extra giddy up in your step - you never know...
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    see that is the best part!! once you gain endurance you will feel so much better!!! and so much accomplishment! start slow and work up!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You CAN and you WILL!! That runner has probably been excersising for quite a while. Keep at it, one day you'll be the runner passing the new walker and you can tell her... "It's ok to walk, that was me then, look at me now!"

Keep up the good work. You'll get there.:flowerforyou:
    Exactly I would say an average of six weeks and you WILL notice a difference. I also know how u feel. Before I got fit, I would wheeze and pant on a small hill. The first mile I ran I called my best friend happy as hell. Then that one turned into more...which led me to 10ks. then to marathons and half marathons. It will happen. Just set your sites to a mini goal daily. Its what I did. Even if as MINUTE as running five minutes on monday. Upping to six tuesday and weds...or whatever you feel comfortable with. Baby steps. You will suprise yourself
  • dinavarrete
    Options
    I am exactly where you are and I agree with Joani. We just need to give ourselves some time. I started with myfitnesspal just 10 days ago and I already can walk a little better and I notice that I can go a little further every day. Everybody is different. Don't ever compare yourself to someone else. You are already ahead of someone else who has not even started to exercise. Don't give up
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    That hill is going to be your motivator! I've always been a natural distance runner, but I let myself fall out of shape so badly that I was running a 10 minute mile and could NOT go any further. When I got back to it, I walked, then started jogging and walking, and started interval training.
    Now, 3 months later, I run 3 miles 3-5 days a week during lunch in under 30 minutes and I go on to weights and then the 30 day shred at home. Today, I went 4 1/4. My point being, my endurance has SKYROCKETED, and it WILL happen for you if you stick with it!
    Soon, you'll look at that hill and laugh. :)