P90X3.... Am I doing it wrong?

Options
I was all excited to do this workout. I tried P90X in the past but had trouble fitting in the hour plus workouts everyday( with two little ones I was I interrupted often, husband works 530pm-6am and yes, he works 6-7 days in a row plus I work, too) Tony talks way too much and while I understand the rest periods, his constant chatter and trying to be funny dragged the workout on and added more just standing around. Then when I found out I was pregnant I used that as an excuse to move on.

While waiting for X3 to launch I tried T25 and loved it. I even bought Gamma. My profile pic is my arm after Gamma and I lost about 15lbs. I like both cardio and weights. So after 4 weeks X3 I have no change except I lost a pound but I lost that in my arms, my muscle is not that big anymore. I don't feel X3 is all that challenging. I have been doing yoga for 15 yrs or so there's not much challenge there or in most of the first block of videos. I ended up lowering my calories because I was so disappointed in the workouts. I feel like I'm pushing myself and I will feel sore the next day, but again, lots of standing waiting for Tony to just shut up with his "comedy" routine is annoying since you only get 30 mins and that's even with designated breaks.

I had a week off due to vacation and started block 2 this week. While there does seem to be more challenge in this block, I'm still wondering if I'm not doing this correctly since I'm not seeing results. In Gamma I used 15lb weights because I needed a lighter weight with the combo of cardio and throwing it around. When you finally do use weights in X3 I start with 25 and go up unless it's a workout he suggest going lighter, then I use 10-15lb.

I thought these would be hard core weight workouts once I saw the recommended calories (2100) as I stated, I bumped down to 1900. I just don't feel that intensity of a hard workout when I'm done. My running season will start up soon and I'll fit that in 2-3 days per week then up my cals accordingly. I can not drink Shakeology because it has Stevia which A. taste terrible and B. I have some not so great reactions to it.

So my questions are what are your thoughts on calories? Should I eat at the recommended 2100? (Online calculators have me about that and a bit higher)

Those doing/completed X3 do/did you see results? Did you just eat the recommended amount and not overthink like me?

I did try to keep this short as possible while giving you adequate info so if I left something out feel free to ask!

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have similar situation and chose p90x3 for similar reasons. I did the original p90x in the past with great result. Now I have 2 little one at home and I am a working/ schooling full time and I didn't have time for the original p90x. I thought the p90x3 is a great shorter alternative.

After 9 weeks I gave up on it because it didn't produced the type of result I was looking for: muscle tone, and fat loss.
    It did wonders to my stamina, balance , flexibility and overall well being . However at this point at over 200 lb those were not my main goals

The stregth training part is great beginner workout, but not intense enought for people who already did stregth training. I decided to join the gym and i do StrongLifts 5x5 instead .

As far as the fat loss goes, that depends on calorie deficit. No matter what is your workout program, you can achieve fat loss if you eat on appropriate deficit. The problem is the p90x3 nutrition guide is seriously flawed, at least for heavy women like me. It suggested me to eat 2100-2400 calorie a day , and I did ~ 2200 in the first month and I gained 4 lb! Then I had aRMR testing with a registered dietatitian who was shocked seeing that recommendation. I cut back my calories to 1750 and I spent my second month on the program losing those extra lbs that I put on because of the program. It was very frustrating.

I have chat with many people about p90x3 result here on MFP and also on the beachbody forums. There are a lot of people dissatisfied with the program partially or completely. Both places I read people even thinking to send it back for a refund. Generally the people who had good results are the one who didn't follow the nutrition guide , but eat based on MFP recommendation instead.Or people who did a bunch of extra cardio beside the program again creating extra calorie deficit.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I hate to move on thinking if I just stick with it, it will get more challenging since the people in my P90X3 group seem to love it. I don't like not seeing things through but I don't want to waste my time either.

Maybe Ill look into lowering my calories until I start running when weather is a little better. I believe in fueling your workouts and not creating to big of a deficit but I just don't see how this program justifies that large of a calorie goal.

On a side note, I tried a sample of Shakelogy....160 calories for a meal replacement? No wonder people lose weight drinking that except even with PB and banana it tasted awful and I was hungry not even two hours later.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You're a bad *kitten*. I wish I was like you. Good job.

I have no advice to give, but keep it up!
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Aw, thanks, that was sweet of you! :blushing:
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I'm getting crazy results with X3, but I would rather gag myself with a Popsicle stick than do another "hop hop squat" in T25. I can do 3 unassisted pull ups and have had incredible transformation in my abs in 4 weeks.

I thought I was going to love T25, but I fantasize about hanging those skinny broad's upside down by their yoga shorts every time you have to do "speed and agility".

If T25 is doing it for you, Rock On, sister!!!! Be happy that you found a workout that you love!!!!
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Everyone is different. I'm getting crazy results with X3, but I would rather gag myself with a Popsicle stick than do another "hop hop squat" in T25. I can do 3 unassisted pull ups and have had incredible transformation in my abs in 4 weeks.

I thought I was going to love T25, but I fantasize about hanging those skinny broad's upside down by their yoga shorts every time you have to do "speed and agility".

If T25 is doing it for you, Rock On, sister!!!! Be happy that you found a workout that you love!!!!

Lol!
    Today's workout in X3 was more of what I was expecting. I'll stick with it. I haven't tried all the workouts since this is my first week in block two. Also I am doing Classic as suggested but I was leaning more towards Lean phase and should have gone that route. For now I'll just lower my cals a bit until I start running again.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen! I am in maintainance though and don't have any weight to lose but am still working on building strength & trying to get some definition. I completed it last week. I actually gained about 2 lbs, which isn't detrimental but I am NOT trying to gain weight. The only benefit I got was I am so much stronger, way more flexible, & my balance is tons better, so all good things BUT did not get any changes in my body composition. I don't think it was a total loss but definitely not as good of results that I expected. I've seen a few others on my friends list who had a lot better results but they were doing other workouts in addition to this. This program is advertised for just these 30 minutes a day to get those results and said nothing about having to do extra workouts on top of it. I do my work outs first thing in the morning at 5am so call me lazy but I don't want anything longer. =p
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    I agree kerrbear, most days I need the shorter workouts. I think I am just so disappointed in the lack of weights and and all the breaks. Even T25 Gamma round used more weights! Then Tony even says how he isn't a cardio guy in the DVD yet most if them are basically cardio.

Aw well. At least I know I'm not alone in thinking this and not to expect too much and hopefully I'll start fitting in running soon and shed some fat!
  • icandoit63
    icandoit63 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am in transition week of Block 1... I have also decided to cut back a bit on my calories, but trying to eat well and one ingredient foods. I am loving this workout. It is really a challenge for me since I mostly do cardio at the gym. Soon I will be biking too either at gym or on the trail, but I am feeling stronger.
    I gain almost 5 lbs in the first 3 weeks , then this week dropped 4. I think my body is adjusting.
  • priscillaaudris
    priscillaaudris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completed T25 alpha, beta & gamma and just started p90x3 - LEAN (Block 1 Week 2). I feel it isn't as intense or as challenging as T25. I guess I feel this way because T25 Gamma Phase was intense then starting p90x3 - Lean Block 1 is just the beginning phase. Is Block 2 more challenging?
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I completed T25 alpha, beta & gamma and just started p90x3 - LEAN (Block 1 Week 2). I feel it isn't as intense or as challenging as T25. I guess I feel this way because T25 Gamma Phase was intense then starting p90x3 - Lean Block 1 is just the beginning phase. Is Block 2 more challenging?

My first suggestion - don't do the lean program. Do the classic.

Lean is a much lighter program than classic. It will not make you more lean. It is just easier.

Second suggestion - do not underestimate X3. It starts gradually and builds rapidly (provided you're doing the classic calendar). To make sure you get the most out of it you need to make sure you're using the heaviest weights you can while still maintaining good form during the resistance training workouts.

Will any of P90X3 feel like any part of T25? No. They are different programs. T25 emphasizes cardio. X3 emphasizes core strength and overall fitness. That said, MMX and Accelerator will leave you standing in a pool of sweat.

-Tex

KPP
  • ItsHetani
    ItsHetani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That calorie count seems REALLY high. Even when I was lifting heavy weights with Jamie Eason's Live Fit program my max was 1600 calories. 1600 calories was actually hard for me to hit with all the healthy eating I was doing. I don't know how someone can get to 2200. As long as you are eating HEALTHY and eating 3 meals with at least 2 snacks in-between meals, you should be fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the weights you were using in the p90x3 program? Did you purchase any resistance cables? Maybe you need to up the weights or purchase a heavier resistance band for further results. Push yourself until you can't push anymore.
  • kyledlarson
    kyledlarson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that calorie count sounds high as well. I'm doing the P90X Lean and I'm trying to keep my intake between 1600-1900. Only at the end of week 2, so not seeing much yet, but I know what you mean about Tony being a chatterbox. Bless his heart, but the guy annoys the **** out of me
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    IMO no one person is the same. We all burn a different amount of calories a day depending on our activity level. The best way to determine how many calories you should consume is to figure out your TDEE -15-20% deficit. With hardcore exercise I burn 2400 calories a day. If your not measuring a weighing everything you consume you could be off.
  • tkristina93
    tkristina93 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    do you guys try to follow the nutrition plan, or just try to hit the calorie count? With healthy food of course..
    I plan to start p90x3 tomorrow.. But I don't have the nutrition guide and all those talks that if u don't follow it, don't even start with the program are making me think twice..