Sharp Pain in My Calves After Running 1st Time

Options
Hi all,

I am no runner, but I gradually tried to start running on the treadmill. I began at running for 5 minutes only for two days, and then last night after the 5 minutes, I was feeling pretty good and was able to run for 22 minutes almost 2 miles (I know, slow, but I'm a beginner). After running I got off the treadmill and immediately started limping almost due to these sharp pains in my calves, I stretched them last night. But is it possible I run wrong? is this normal for a beginner? Is all I need to do is stretch them?

Thanks,

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am no runner, but I gradually tried to start running on the treadmill. I began at running for 5 minutes only for two days, and then last night after the 5 minutes, I was feeling pretty good and was able to run for 22 minutes almost 2 miles (I know, slow, but I'm a beginner). After running I got off the treadmill and immediately started limping almost due to these sharp pains in my calves, I stretched them last night. But is it possible I run wrong? is this normal for a beginner? Is all I need to do is stretch them?

Thanks,

I'm reading this correctly .... did you run 3 days in a row after a lifetime of not running?
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SloRose,
    This will happen if you do not stretch before you run. Do things like crossover stretches and forward lunge in place to stretch the calves out. Always stretch before you run it helps in building and conditioning the muscles. I hope this helps
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks,

I'm reading this correctly .... did you run 3 days in a row after a lifetime of not running?

And then quadrupled the time you were running from the 2nd to 3rd days?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    you increased your run by 540% and are wondering why you're sore?
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    Yes, but the first two days was literally for only 5 short minutes at a slow pace.
  • SloRose
    Options
    SloRose,
    This will happen if you do not stretch before you run. Do things like crossover stretches and forward lunge in place to stretch the calves out. Always stretch before you run it helps in building and conditioning the muscles. I hope this helps

Thank you so much! I will do this next time, I appreciate it!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the first two days was literally for only 5 short minutes at a slow pace.

You increased your distance by 540%. Soreness is to be expected.
  • SloRose
    Options
    you increased your run by 540% and are wondering why you're sore?

The reason it caught me off guard was because I was still running very slow and soft, it did not feel like it was going to have such a big impact.
  • SloRose
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You could also not be drinking enough water, which can cause leg cramps
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    foam roll and do some static stretching
  • jeffhayes6
    Options
    Good Work on running! The calves are a big reason why we have the ability to run, so sore calves is not necessarily bad. I agree with stretching, but also just the use of those muscles in a new way will add to the soreness. How long did the soreness last? When you say sharp pain, do you mean a shooting pain like a cramp?

here is a good link to consider - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/how-stretch-your-calf-muscles

It may just take some time too. I promise if you stick with it, you will not regret it though.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but am going to start (as soon as the weather gets better and I get some things I need)

I can recommend a couple few things of things

- there are several topics on here for beginner runners. Find them. Read them.
    This is a great one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976388-what-to-do-before-you-start
    - get yourself fitted and get a good pair of running sneakers
    - find and download the app C25K. It eases your into it.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Trail runner here with previous calf issues. Could be a few things:

(1) You've just started running and pushed it too far, too fast.
    (2) Warm up and engage in dynamic stretching before the run, which is to say, before the run, do 5 mins. on the bike, or walking, and then give your calves, quads, etc. small 2-3 second stretches to put your legs through the range of motion. A few lunges and knee lifts before also doesn't hurt.
    (3) Insufficient calf strength.
    (4) Not to be overlooked: Shoes. Get yourself fitted--different foot styles require different kinds of support. Those with flat/mild arches generally need a more supportive shoe, though going neutral doesn't hurt so long as you ease into it.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    SHOES!!!!
    When I started running in October, I had the same thing. I went to a shoe store and got fitted and it made alllll the difference in the world. Also, be careful not to tie laces too tight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Zebras! Zebras everywhere!
  • SloRose
    Options
    Good Work on running! The calves are a big reason why we have the ability to run, so sore calves is not necessarily bad. I agree with stretching, but also just the use of those muscles in a new way will add to the soreness. How long did the soreness last? When you say sharp pain, do you mean a shooting pain like a cramp?

here is a good link to consider - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/how-stretch-your-calf-muscles

It may just take some time too. I promise if you stick with it, you will not regret it though.

Thank you so much! the sharp pain was like a shooting pain all over the back of my calves. It began immediately after I got off the treadmill, I stretched them after, went to bed and this morning it's just a dull pain that is tolerable. Thank you for the link!

I really enjoy running now (even though its only been three times) but I used to be scared of running! Thanks for the motivation to keep going!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon. Start slowly, I mean S L O W L Y! Find a c25k program or app, there are tons of freebies out there. Three days a week, intervals of running/walking, gradually building you up to 30 minutes/5k over about 9 weeks. Made a runner out of me at the age of 43, after a lifetime of avoiding running at all costs. :tongue: And I competed it without any injuries or shin splints or overwhelming soreness. Two years later, I'm still running and loving it.

Take the time to ease into it and do it right, it's worth it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    , I was feeling pretty good and was able to run for 22 minutes almost 2 miles (I know, slow, but I'm a beginner). Thanks,

BTW 2 miles in 22 minutes is an 11 min mile, that isn't exactly slow. Even if it wasn't quite 2 miles, you were still running at like a 12 min mile pace...again not slow.
  • SloRose
    Options
    Trail runner here with previous calf issues. Could be a few things:

(1) You've just started running and pushed it too far, too fast.
    (2) Warm up and engage in dynamic stretching before the run, which is to say, before the run, do 5 mins. on the bike, or walking, and then give your calves, quads, etc. small 2-3 second stretches to put your legs through the range of motion. A few lunges and knee lifts before also doesn't hurt.
    (3) Insufficient calf strength.
    (4) Not to be overlooked: Shoes. Get yourself fitted--different foot styles require different kinds of support. Those with flat/mild arches generally need a more supportive shoe, though going neutral doesn't hurt so long as you ease into it.

All good points, thank you, I will see if my shoes are right for me, I have flat feet.