What do you think of this?????

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20802898,00.html

It's the story of Daniel Murphy from the Mets who took 2 days off to be with his wife as she gave birth to their first child. I hope I posted that link right!

So what do you think MFP?

Personally, I think this is total BS! Family should always come first! I am just so annoyed at this news story! Players can take time off for a death in the family, but not a birth??? Mike Francesna is an insensitive JERKBAG who needs to shut his fat mouth! Boomer Esiason is also a huge tool! I can't imagine my husband NOT being there for the birth of his kids and for these two idiots to put baseball before the birth of your first child just repulses me!:angry::mad: :explode:

Ok, vent over!:grumble: :grumble:

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I could not possibly care less, TBH
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I remember when McGwire took off the last couple of games of his rookie season to be with his wife for the birth of their son. He was sitting at 49 home runs (still a rookie record), but gave up on a chance to become the first and only rookie to hit 50+ home runs (back when 50 was still a magical number). The media praised him for putting family before sports....my how times have changed.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I remember when McGwire took off the last couple of games of his rookie season to be with his wife for the birth of their son. He was sitting at 49 home runs (still a rookie record), but gave up on a chance to become the first and only rookie to hit 50+ home runs (back when 50 was still a magical number). The media praised him for putting family before sports....my how times have changed.

Wow...you are so right.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I could not possibly care less, TBH

Yet you responded to the thread........

I do not know a bigger sports fan than me. That is a different life and industry than any of us can imagine because of all of the money invested and earned. That being said, I got out out of the Marine Corps because I wanted to be there when my kids were born. I could not imagine now that I am a father not being there. Nothing like holding your newborn child to bring even the toughest man to tears. I wouldn't hold it against and athlete or anyone else for wanting to be there.

On a side note- For all the talk of equality over the years, why don't men get paid maternity leave? Don't get me wrong, I actually dont think we should, but I don't think women should then either. Equality should = equality.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Really a non-issue for me. He took leave he was authorized, some sport-caster raised issues. so.......
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    He took the leave he was authorized. There are PLENTY of employers in the US who do not allow for paternity leave. Bravo to him for taking leave to be with his wife and new child.

I think it was low of the sportscasters to criticize this behavior.