Jillian Michaels DVDs-what order should I do the dvds?

Options
I recently ordered Jillian Michaels DVDs and Im not sure which one to begin first. I have purchased 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat-Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones & Shred It with Weights (the 1 with the kettlebell). Please help....

Thanks in advance for the Advice! :smile: !

Replies

• ceredonia
    Options
    I recently asked the same question. Here's the advice I got, and it has worked well so far.

Start with the 30 Day Shred (just the regular one). Make it through a few days of it at least, maybe finish Level 1 at the least (10 days per level). AFTER that, you'll be more used to her workout style, so you can start the others.

Personally, I started her No More Trouble Zones right as I was finishing Level 1. I found it challenging but not "Oh my God I'm going to die" challenging like the first couple of days for 30 Day Shred. I was also starting out having never really exercised at all, other than occasionally doing some elliptical work, so take that as you will.

I'm going to introduce the Banish Fat one into my workout soon, but right now I'm alternating days between cardio at the gym and No More Trouble Zones (along with doing 30DS daily, I'm in Level 2 now). I would recommend alternating the two longer ones, because NMTZ is more strength-circuits and BFBM is cardio. NMTZ isn't too challenging so you can start with that if you want, but I do highly recommend trying 30DS first for awhile to get the feel of it.

As for Shred it with Weights, I don't know because I haven't tried it, but again, I'd probably start with the easier one first, the basic 30DS. If you don't have hand weights, pick up a couple of light ones for 30DS and NMTZ (I use 3lb weights myself).

Good Luck!! You can do it! =D Stick with it, even if you take a day or two off, don't quit!
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the same DVD's and I LOVE them! Trust me Jillian's going to work your tail off! You're going to be dripping sweat and have sore muscles, but it's so worth it. About a week ago I came across a post by a MFP member kizzy_muss. She posted about joining her in OCTOBER 2010 JILLIAN MICHAELS 30 DAY SLIM DOWN CHALLENGE. For the month of October, 6 days a week, you will work out with one of JM DVD's. The workout schedule doesn't include "Shred-It with Weights", but I'm sure you can trade one of the workout days and use Shred-It with Weights. That's what I plan on doing. The slim down challenge started today, but you can join in anytime. I suggest starting ASAP so you can get the most benefit by the end of October. Check out her post. Good luck!
  • SparkleKittie
    Options
    I just started doing Power Circuit Training with Jackie Warner. That DVD kicks my *kitten*! I'm still burning from two days ago! Go for it!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    I recently asked the same question. Here's the advice I got, and it has worked well so far.

Start with the 30 Day Shred (just the regular one). Make it through a few days of it at least, maybe finish Level 1 at the least (10 days per level). AFTER that, you'll be more used to her workout style, so you can start the others.

Personally, I started her No More Trouble Zones right as I was finishing Level 1. I found it challenging but not "Oh my God I'm going to die" challenging like the first couple of days for 30 Day Shred. I was also starting out having never really exercised at all, other than occasionally doing some elliptical work, so take that as you will.

I'm going to introduce the Banish Fat one into my workout soon, but right now I'm alternating days between cardio at the gym and No More Trouble Zones (along with doing 30DS daily, I'm in Level 2 now). I would recommend alternating the two longer ones, because NMTZ is more strength-circuits and BFBM is cardio. NMTZ isn't too challenging so you can start with that if you want, but I do highly recommend trying 30DS first for awhile to get the feel of it.

As for Shred it with Weights, I don't know because I haven't tried it, but again, I'd probably start with the easier one first, the basic 30DS. If you don't have hand weights, pick up a couple of light ones for 30DS and NMTZ (I use 3lb weights myself).

Good Luck!! You can do it! =D Stick with it, even if you take a day or two off, don't quit!

Thank you for your response. I think I'll start with the 30 day shred as you recommended. Once Im comfortable with that I will add the Banish Fat DVD. How many days a week should I do each dvd?

Thanks Again!
  • loveme445
    Options
    I have the same DVD's and I LOVE them! Trust me Jillian's going to work your tail off!

Thats great to hear because Im looking for a great workout. I wont be able to start the challenge this month because Im still waiting on the DVDs to arrive. Thank you for the invite and please let me know if there is one for next month.

Thanks Again for the Advice!
  • loveme445
    Options
    I just started doing Power Circuit Training with Jackie Warner. That DVD kicks my *kitten*! I'm still burning from two days ago! Go for it!

WOW! I ordered her Xtreme Timesaver Training DVD so I hope its as good as the Circuit Training DVD. I just need to figure out a workout schedule for Jillian's DVDs and Jackie's DVD that will give me the max. results.

Thanks!
  • ceredonia
    Options
    My current schedule (SUPPOSED to be, haha, been busy/sick the last two days) is:

30DS: every day, it's only 20 minutes
    NMTZ: Tues/Thurs/Sat (every other day, essentially, may not fall on these days but don't want to overdo it by doing it every day)
    Gym cardio--Elliptical/Treadmill/Kickboxing: Mon/Wed/Fri (basically, on the off days from the longer Jillian DVDs). Eventually I'll replace this with BFBM but I figure I'll go to the gym since I'm paying for a membership =P
    Take Sundays off, or at least do the Shred DVD.

I don't beat myself up if I don't stick to the schedule, because you gotta remember that sometimes, life happens and you get busy. =) I took Thursday and Friday off from the DVDs but went to the gym Thursday, so at least try to get a little something in when you can, but don't freak out if you miss a day or two of Shred. It'll still be there!

The point is, don't do ALL the DVDs EVERY day. You've gotta let your body rest a little. =) The NMTZ and BFBM are pretty intense DVDs, they'd be hard to do back to back, but the Shred DVD is easier to do daily, and you're supposed to anyway, it's only 20 minutes! Figure out what works for your schedule, they're both about 45 minutes long with cooldown and warmup and everything. Maybe shoot for 2x week for either DVD, you don't have to start both at the same time. Ease yourself into it, use BFBM for a few weeks, then introduce NMTZ after awhile. I'm just doing the opposite, but it seems to be working, I don't hate NMTZ like some people were telling me I would. =)

It's really about what works best for you. Just don't overdo it at first, get used to Shred so you know what to expect. Then the first day you do either of the other two, you'll be like "Wow, this isn't that bad!" =)
  • loveme445
    Options
    My current schedule (SUPPOSED to be, haha, been busy/sick the last two days) is:

30DS: every day, it's only 20 minutes
    NMTZ: Tues/Thurs/Sat (every other day, essentially, may not fall on these days but don't want to overdo it by doing it every day)
    Gym cardio--Elliptical/Treadmill/Kickboxing: Mon/Wed/Fri (basically, on the off days from the longer Jillian DVDs). Eventually I'll replace this with BFBM but I figure I'll go to the gym since I'm paying for a membership =P
    Take Sundays off, or at least do the Shred DVD.

I

Thanks! This sounds like a good plan. I also go to the gym a couple days a week. I'll just make sure I do the 30 day shred every day and work the other DVDs into my routine at least once a week. I agree with you, I feel as long as Im doing some type of exercise, that's all that matters.

Thanks for the help!
  • CoachGerin
    Options
    Hi - be careful doing any of the DVDs - two my friends injured their knees - not sure why and which exercise, but both did..

CoachGerin
  • loveme445
    Options
    Hi - be careful doing any of the DVDs - two my friends injured their knees - not sure why and which exercise, but both did..

CoachGerin

Thanks for the information. I will have to make sure I have the proper form for the exercises because I do not want to be injured.
    Hope your friends are feeling better
  • ceredonia
    Options
    She does do a lot of jumping, so if you have bad knees, make sure you follow modified instructions (watching Anita on the right...or her left...whatever, she'll tell you) or just kinda modify it on your own. But yes, be careful =)
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the same DVD's and I LOVE them! Trust me Jillian's going to work your tail off!

Thats great to hear because Im looking for a great workout. I wont be able to start the challenge this month because Im still waiting on the DVDs to arrive. Thank you for the invite and please let me know if there is one for next month.

Thanks Again for the Advice!

Yes, the Jilliam Michaels slim down will start again in November.