We are Our Own Worst Enemies

Options
I am my own worst enemy in this weight loss journey. When I started out I was really a hot mess. I've made some progress but yet many times I find myself falling back into old "beat myself up" habits. I've heard statements like weight loss is 80 % what you eat and 20 % how you work out. I disagree. Somewhere in there you have to add a large percentage of mental attitude into the equation. Along the way I have talked with and been questioned by so many people who struggle with variious non food/fitness issues with weight loss. For what its worth these are some of the things I have learned and often have to "relearn":

1: Don't compare yourself with anyone else...EVER. You have no idea where they came from or where they are going, or even if you have some idea, you still have no idea. Be supportive of others alongside you, but don't start comparing what program they are doing, what they are eating, what they aren't eating, how fast they can go, how long they can go, how much they lost or didn't lose. Just say NO.

2. Be realistic. You know yourself. You know what you will and won't do. You know what your willing to sacrifice and what you aren't. Base your goals on that knowledge and you will be far more likely to succeed.

3. Be honest. This is oh so crucial. You have to be 100% honest with yourself. If you can't you've already failed. If you log, log what you eat, don't fudge, don't hedge, don't "forget" and then complain about why you didn't lose.

4. Don't try to "beat the system"... Reality is there is no system. There's just making good choices and working hard. You aren't going to find the magic pill or the miracle workout. Consistency in making right choices and working hard will pay off. It might take time, no it will take time, but when followed it works every time.

5. Have fun while working hard...If you make this journey the "trip from hell" why and how are you going to stay on board? Only a lunatic would do so. Have fun with it, make some new friends, try some new things and change your mindset from trip from hell to adventure of a lifetime.

6. Don't invite negative nellies to your party. If you have people around you, in your life who keep telling you all the reasons you can't do this, or how you've failed before, get rid of them. Stay away from them. Find more positive people to hang around.

7. Everyone has an opinion-remember it's just that, an opinion. If someone tells you you have to give up diet pop for instance to lose weight and that isn't something you are willing to do, filter it out. (BTW I've been told that so many times and i've lost 100 pounds and haven't given up diet pop. I've cut back but its on my not willing to do list so I don't). Take opinions with a grain of salt and run them through the common sense filter. Then compare them with your list of "willing to do" and while being honest with yourself. Then decide if it is useful or not. Not useful, not pertinent, not something your willing to do...throw it out of your head.

8. Get beyond the surface. Yup surface inspection reveals I have a struggle with weight. But that's not overly helpful. What I had to do was get to the reasons why I was overweight and pull them out into the sunlight and address those things. Honestly and consistantly. Once I did that I started making progress.

9. Love yourself where your at....every step of the way love yourself. Be kind to yourself. On your hardest days, find something, anything positive. Just the fact that your able to look for something positive is a positive.

10. Celebrate EVERY victory! There are days you are going to feel like a failure. Have your ammunition ready to prove to your head that your one lapse is nothing compared to all the victories you have made along the way.

Don't give up, don't sweat the small stuff and don't play games in your head. Just Don't!

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Nice post, thanks!
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! You sound like a very positive person. And congrats on your successes so far! :drinker:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Great post, and well done on your success so far.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What a great post, glad I came across this!
    Thanks for sharing! :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! Everything you said was very relevant in this weight loss adventure!
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well said! Thanks.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nice post - congrats on your loss!
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Love this post! It is so easy to beat ourselves up when we go over our calorie limit, don't exercise one day, etc. Why is it so much easier to hate ourselves than love ourselves? Congratulations on your weight loss! You are very inspiring. :)