Stressed out by logging when accidentally eating too much

Options
Hi all!
So on one hand I like logging my food because it gives me a sense of control or certainty about where I stand diet-wise - both when it comes to nutrition and weight loss. On the other hand, on occasions when I give in to temptation and "accidentally" eat way above my calorie goal, logging those things and seeing the red numbers sometimes really freaks me out and makes me feel like my diet is ruined and I'll never reach my goals.

I know it's an overreaction, but seeing it in numbers like that somehow has a strong influence on me. Does anyone else feel like this? How do you deal with it? Occasionally I've simply avoided logging things when I know I'm above my goal, but I know deep down that avoidance is no solution...

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS log everything, no matter what it is. I've gone over my calorie goal by 500+ before but I still log it. Why? So I know what NOT to do.

Just remind yourself that one day won't ruin anything and move on. Maybe work in a little extra exercise for the day if it helps you feel better. Unless you're going way over every day, you're doing fine.
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You've stated it pretty succinctly. Some days when I eat a ludicrous amount, and it just keeps going, I decide whether or not to log it. If I do log it, it is more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. When I don't log it, it doesn't change the fact that it's in my body...

Logging dutifully can help to keep yourself accountable for what you consume. I find the belly ache to hold me accountable enough on its own. Sometimes logging the carnage is just rubbing salt in the wound. Or you can use it to gain perspective and take a step back, and regain control of the situation.
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I feel the same way. I HATE seeing my calories in the red.

I just log it and stay off the app for the rest of the evening. I'm not hurting anyone but myself when I'm not accurate with what I'm eating.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Yep. I get that. I know today is going to hurt like so much as it's a treat day. How I deal with it is keeping the rest of my days under.
  • CBSARGE
    CBSARGE Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Freaks me out a little too...I've finally settled on the fact that as long as I have 5 or 6 days in the black each week and only a day or two in the red...I can live with that. I sold myself on the fact that doing that is reasonable and if I stick to that, I avoid the possability of stopping my calorie count all together. Hang in there, keep going and NEVER QUIT! Hoorahhhh
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could try focusing on your weekly total.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool to help you find balance in your diet. That's it, just a tool. If you go over, you go over. You know what to do differently tomorrow. Don't obsess, you're a work in progress and it takes time to find out what will work for you. :flowerforyou:
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer once that if you eat an abundance of calories like once a month it can actually help. Our bodies get used to when we eat a certain way but when we over eat it makes our bodies go "Whoa!! What's all this... we gots to burn this off!". Now, I'm not saying that we should overeat all the time but once in a while is normal.

I do log though even when it's over just because I want to be honest with myself and see how I am trending. As long as I'm under more than I'm over... I'll take that as a win.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I ate a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Now that was scary to see the total.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have at least one day a week where I purposely eat close to maintenance or over. I figure I am going to be doing this for awhile, and I need something sustainable. Strict logging 7 days a week is not sustainable for me. I dine out at a lot of non-chain places where I can't necessarily estimate what I'm eating or don't want to.

Having that day means it's easier for me to commit to 5-6 days of strict logging. And it has not hindered my progress. I have been at this for two months, and this is THE most successful two months of "dieting" I have ever had in my life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have at least one day a week where I purposely eat close to maintenance or over. I figure I am going to be doing this for awhile, and I need something sustainable. Strict logging 7 days a week is not sustainable for me. I dine out at a lot of non-chain places where I can't necessarily estimate what I'm eating or don't want to.

Having that day means it's easier for me to commit to 5-6 days of strict logging. And it has not hindered my progress. I have been at this for two months, and this is THE most successful two months of "dieting" I have ever had in my life.

This!^

I'm going to have good & bad days. Just like life.....stuff happens.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS log everything, no matter what it is. I've gone over my calorie goal by 500+ before but I still log it. Why? So I know what NOT to do.

^^^THIS^^^
  • alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I treat those red numbers as an opportunity to learn more about the choices I make and the impact of those choices. It helps me to consciously take smaller portions when in situations where I am likely to go over - parties: family events etc. That reduces the impact and I feel pleased with myself instead of a failure. I then consciously try to keep within or even below for the next few days and I try to up my walking if possible
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have just started and am still deciding how I want to deal with my logging. As of now, I log everything. I feel that when I go over and log, it helps minimize how big that red number gets.

Probably in a couple more weeks, when I am move in the groove of this, I will switch to only strictly logging 5-6 days a week. I eat at a lot of non-chain restaurants on the weekends too and even when I try my hardest to log those meals, I know they are likely inaccurate.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I do a mini freak out but log it all too, i also just figure it's going to happen once in a while and as long as it isn't a daily or weekly thing to just let it go and be more careful.
  • ntdcruz
    ntdcruz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've done that too (the pint of ice cream)... have no control with Ben and Jerry's and can no longer keep it in the house...:smile:
    However, looks like it hasn't hurt you. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good comments :happy:

I log everything too. I want to see what I am doing wrong or right!! I know that the 290 calories of almonds I eat every day is a lot of calories ....but I could be eating something worse. I am Yeast and dairy sensitive.... so if I can eat it I sometimes eat too much of it at a time.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I eat too much at times also but it is better to log it than not log it. I know it can be discouraging to see how many calories you have consumed, but how else are you going to keep track of your food intake. Be honest with yourself, it is the best way. Good Luck.:drinker:
  • yasoyyo
    yasoyyo Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! :D I agree with what you're all saying - taking a step back and realising it's just one day and won't matter in the grand scheme of things is probably the best thing one can do in order to stay on the right track. It's so tricky at times, though! But I'll breathe through it and let it go.

These days I'm also aiming for eating somewhat more than I did at my last weight loss attempt, and I'm noticing that it's making a big difference in my progress - in a positive way! Having more calories makes me stress less and makes it that much easier to stick to it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if I'm over, what is in my diary is just data. There will be good, bad and extremely ugly days it's life, if I wasn't logging all of those then I would be more upset because then I would be lying to myself.