Polyunsaturated Fats

Options
I've been reading a lot of articles that propose that polyunsaturated fats are one of the "good" kinds of fat; they promote heart health and help curb hunger cravings.
I was wondering though: will eating a portion of something containing polyunsaturated fat make me gain weight?
My lunch contained four grams of polyunsaturated fat today, and now I am a little worried! I keep telling myself to calm down because I haven't done my workouts for today yet, but it is still a concern!
Any information on polyunsaturated fats and weight gain would be so helpful. Thank you so much!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat. Overeating makes you fat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options

^^ this.

The idea that fat-free diets are good for you is outdated at best. Fats are essential in your diet. Even the thought that saturated fats are bad for you is looking less certain now. Trans fats are pretty much the only sorts of fats you should avoid.

Do some research and you will see that eating fat actually helps you to burn body fat. They are not one and the same thing. It's only when you eat too much *in total* that you see body fat increase.
  • positive714
    Options
    Thanks for all the knowledge on fats! :happy:
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    Like others have said, fat doesn't make you fat and so it's not the amount of fat you need be worried about but the TYPE. Not all polyunsaturated fats are good for you, in fact, many studies are now showing that polyunsaturated fats do not prevent heart disease and these type of fats are also unstable at high heat and so are damaged during cooking (e.g. sunflower oil, canola oil). When you consume these oils they cause damage to your cells and create free radicals. They are also very high in omega 6 fats and can upset the balance between omega 3 and omega 6s, which then promotes inflammation in the body. Omega 3 fats are the best kind of polyunsaturated fats and these should not be limited (think oily fish, walnuts, flaxseed).