Need an affordable & good protein powder

Options
2»

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    5LB tub of Optimum Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey - Chocolate. I found Stevia tastes much better then splenda.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I use TerasWhey. I think it was around $25 for a canister. But grassfed cows (so they advertise), and to a lesser degree organic, is important to me.

I just bought a container of this. I hate flavored whey proteins (had to return another one because it turned out to have a yucky flavor!) so I acquired Tera's Goat Milk Whey Protein. It tastes quite goat-ish (anyone who has tried slightly gone-by goat milk or goat yogurt will know what I'm talking about, ew) so I won't be getting it again, plus the serving size is 2 scoops, which was a bit surprising as I was used to 1 scoop. When I run out, though, I will go for Tera's cow milk unflavored whey, because the grass-fed/organic aspect is really important to me as well.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Somewhere around 10-12 dollars a lb is what you are going to be spending on decent protein.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bumping for use when I get some.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com or vitacost.com for the best prices. Optimum Nutrition 100% whey and Dymatize ISO-100 are by far the best an purest proteins I have come across for a great price (around $27). Btw, body fortress from Walmart is full Of junk/fillers. If you want something good, stay away from Walmart supps.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com or vitacost.com for the best prices. Optimum Nutrition 100% whey and Dymatize ISO-100 are by far the best an purest proteins I have come across for a great price (around $27). Btw, body fortress from Walmart is full Of junk/fillers. If you want something good, stay away from Walmart supps.

I love Vitacost. I called in my order last week for five items. Went to the store and walked out with about 15! Lol. Great prices!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

So what's the difference between these two?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

So what's the difference between these two?

I can't speak to that. I've never shopped bodybuilding.com. I've been happy with Vitacost plus I like that I can shop in the store. And there is another store local to me that has really good prices comparative to Vitacost and Amazon. Yelp is a good resource to check out what people think of nutrition stores in your area. You can often find Vitacost $10 off offers from bloggers posting on IG too.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress tasted good (17 for 2 lbs), but it has creatine in it. Not that big of a deal, but I personally don't want anything extra in protein powder. I've had the chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate peanut butter - and no complaints. The regular might have a few more grams of sugar, but just check the label out. They also make an isolate.

EAS 100% Whey Protein is also good (19 for 2 lbs). I've had the vanilla, which is a little sweeter and thicker than Body Fortress.

Target Market Pantry Protein (19 for 2 lbs) - I've had the chocolate and vanilla, but the new recipe is too sweet for me.

Vitamin Shoppe has buy one get one 50% off on their store brands (includes body tech protein powders). If you get two of the Whey Tech Pro 2lb containers - it averages out to about 18 for 2 lbs. Sales ends in a few days. I'm going to pick a few up today.

Some other cheaper brands are SIx Star, and Pure Protein. As I said above, read the labels and see how much fat/sugar/protein is in a serving to see what suits you best.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress tasted good (17 for 2 lbs), but it has creatine in it. Not that big of a deal, but I personally don't want anything extra in protein powder. I've had the chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate peanut butter - and no complaints. The regular might have a few more grams of sugar, but just check the label out. They also make an isolate.

EAS 100% Whey Protein is also good (19 for 2 lbs). I've had the vanilla, which is a little sweeter and thicker than Body Fortress.

Target Market Pantry Protein (19 for 2 lbs) - I've had the chocolate and vanilla, but the new recipe is too sweet for me.

Vitamin Shoppe has buy one get one 50% off on their store brands (includes body tech protein powders). If you get two of the Whey Tech Pro 2lb containers - it averages out to about 18 for 2 lbs. Sales ends in a few days. I'm going to pick a few up today.

Vitamin Shoppe's store brand has been my fave for a long time. I used to buy the giant canisters when they did BOGO. Haven't had the money for it since I've started getting fit again, but it's definitely on my list. Love the chocolate mint!!
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's hard to beat Amazon's "Subscribe & Save" price on Body Fortress Super Advanced *Whey Isolate*. With the full discount* it's only $16.13 for 2 lbs, with free shipping! That's 26 x 1-scoop servings with 30 g of protein each and only 130 calories. (92% calories from protein)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EQR53Q/

They only offer two flavors: Chocolate and Vanilla (and there's some kind of technical glitch with ordering the chocolate right now), but they both taste good to me. Walmart has a pretty good price on this product too, but with the full discount, Amazon's is better. Also, my local Walmart doesn't stock it regularly.

*: If you order 5 or more items in a month with the "Subscribe & Save" service (things like a stick of deodorant, tube of toothpaste, etc., do count), you get a 15% discount.
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    EAS LEAN 15 protein powder is awesome!!! I am very picky about the taste. Walmart carries it in the powder as well as the prepared ones in the cartons. It's about $20 a container.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    EAS was 25.99 at Vitamin Shoppe in store. It was 18.99 at Target, and 20.99 at Publix.

I'd try Chocolate Mint but I like to throw in bananas with my shakes - and I'm not sure it would go. They need to sell sample sizes more frequently.