Moderation

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Moderation is just what they tell you to keep you coming back for their addictive crap.

Interesting. One of the foods I'm going to have to actively moderate is a strawberry sponge cake that starts with hand-picked berries from the berry farm and is topped with organic whipped cream. Sooo good!

The reason why I chose Doritos is because nobody can argue that they are a *necessary* part of ones diet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Moderation is just what they tell you to keep you coming back for their addictive crap.

Huh?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Huh?

We all know he likes to be provacative, right?
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Moderation is eating what I want in a reasonable portion that fits into my macros/calories at any given point.

If I want Doritos, I plan for it and take a single serving for lunch, or a snack. If I'm at a party - I take a few chips along with a healthier option (relish tray!) and take small bites to make it last.

Doritos aren't my thing - but I do arrange for chocolate (Right now there is a 3# bag in the cabinet at work and I've been weighing into single servings 1.5 oz to snack on)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Moderation is eating what I want in a reasonable portion that fits into my macros/calories at any given point.

If I want Doritos, I plan for it and take a single serving for lunch, or a snack. If I'm at a party - I take a few chips along with a healthier option (relish tray!) and take small bites to make it last.

Doritos aren't my thing - but I do arrange for chocolate (Right now there is a 3# bag in the cabinet at work and I've been weighing into single servings 1.5 oz to snack on)

The keeping it at work strategy is another good one. Available if you get the urge, but bored/tired snacking is reduced.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had to learn moderation....

so initially I would buy the single serving packets of item X so that there was no thought about it, when the bag was done, the serving was done. Clear cut.

Now, I could buy the bulk package of item X and just pull out a single serving.

I falter from time to time - but, ultimately learning moderation meant everything had it's place when the mood would strike.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    incorporate it into my day routine if they truly are what i want to keep me from feeling deprived...because the quickest way to derail is to feel deprived!
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    incorporate it into my day routine if they truly are what i want to keep me from feeling deprived...because the quickest way to derail is to feel deprived!
    I also take large bags and portion into baggies so that if i have a bag...i know exactly what the nutrition is and the calories. ( i learned the hard way....my eyeballing things isnt even close...measure everything!! :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Huh?

shhh... don't feed the.. Oh never mind.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

I have done all of these at some point or another with various foods.

+1
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    * Buying a large bag of Doritos and having a single serving snack each night (after meeting macro and micro targets)

This is probably closest to what I do, although I don't necessarily have some every night. I still had Halloween candy sitting here in a bowl until 2 days ago when I pitched it. There's a box of chocolates from Christmas and one from Valentine's Day still kicking around here completely sealed in plastic. There are probably 12 boxes of GS cookies on top of my fridge. Treats get eaten in my house, but just because it's here doesn't mean I have to have some every day until it is gone.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Huh?

I just read the profile... yeah, I'll pass on that guy lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    * Buying a large bag of Doritos and having a single serving snack each night (after meeting macro and micro targets)

This is probably closest to what I do, although I don't necessarily have some every night. I still had Halloween candy sitting here in a bowl until 2 days ago when I pitched it. There's a box of chocolates from Christmas and one from Valentine's Day still kicking around here completely sealed in plastic. There are probably 12 boxes of GS cookies on top of my fridge. Treats get eaten in my house, but just because it's here doesn't mean I have to have some every day until it is gone.

Yes. This happens in my house with ice cream and lollipops.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Huh?

I just read the profile... yeah, I'll pass on that guy lol

Awesome! ^^^^ just awesome. I passed as well
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

This is my style for food.
    I like my money almost as much as I like my food
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I avoid it altogether. My history has shown if the entire cheesecake, bag of popcorn or whatever is there, I will go back until it is finished. It is almost like a competitive sport. Therefore, for me, I take out the temptation altogether.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Some things I cannot resist so well... If I buy a tray of butter tarts, I will eat a LOT of butter tarts until the tray is gone. I know I will.
    So if I want a butter tart, I will often pay a bit more so that I can have that treat, but reduce my exposure.

Sometimes, I will allow myself to go nuts. But most times, I just avoid the temptation.
    I avoid it altogether. My history has shown if the entire cheesecake, bag of popcorn or whatever is there, I will go back until it is finished. It is almost like a competitive sport. Therefore, for me, I take out the temptation altogether.

This is me. I don't keep 'junk' (read: very calorie-dense and probably delicious) food in the house because I know I will demolish it, but I'm willing to spend a little extra on a mini chocolate bar or a single-serving 'something' on a given day because I know that there is no binge potential there.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I have eaten 5 bananas at once on a binge before. Damn those banana trees and their addictive crap.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Do you never eat cheesecake then, or do you just eat it when you know that you'll be limited to a portion?
  • likitisplit
    Options

I have eaten 5 bananas at once on a binge before. Damn those banana trees and their addictive crap.

It's the one food you should never eat!