Late @ night or not at all??

CombatVet_Armywife
CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it better to miss a meal or eat it just before bed?? I know both are terrible and this very rarely happens to me, but we were out late last night @ a football game. I had a snack of edamames at 3, we left around 5, kept my willpower & did NOT eat the junk food served at the game, got home around 10:15 and was starving. I asked my husband which would be worse and he suggested I eat something rather than skip it.

So I stuck to my original meal plan and had a small chicken breast (boneless/skinless) with a half cup of mixed fruit and water. Filled me up fine, I just do not like that it was right before bed. I wanted to get your thoughts of which would have been worse. Thanks!!

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    There is nothing wrong with eating right before bed... it's a myth that it's bad to do.

If you are hungry and have calories available, then enjoy!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    if it is a snack then go for it, but a big meal, I wouldn't do that personaly
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Don't dwell on it! Exceptions to everything, Rule is nothing to eat 3 hrs. before bed [Dr. Oz]:yawn:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,760 Member
    I eat something every night right before I go up to bed, it keeps me from getting up in the middle of the night hungry and eating 1/2 the contents of the fridge. It's had no negative impact on my weight loss.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Worse to skip a meal - it's always best to eat a little something when you are hungry and it sounds like you ate pretty light so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    I think if you are starving eat! I always eat at night usually just popcorn or whatever. I usually exercise at night so I have extra calories and since we are told to eat some back I do. It just happens that it is late and as long as it isn't a bag of chips or a big slab of cake I would say it is fine, it hasn't impacted my weight loss.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    If I'm hungry, I will always eat something at night: an apple or some popcorn or something light. If I were in your situation, I'd have done the same thing... plus, once in a while won't hurt you.

I read that the problem with eating at night is that your body repairs itself while sleeping, so if you are chronically eating at night, your body spends more time digesting food while you are sleeping and doesn't do the important work of repairing cells, etc. which can wear down your body over time. So, achieving optimum health would suggest limiting eating before bed as a general guideline.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    I eat 2 hours before bed every night as my last meal. I eat 5 times a day. I have still lost!! As long as overall calorie intake is under I think it's ok. it's a long time fasting if you don't eat a long time before bed until you get up in the morning and eat. If j did that k would wake up in the middle of the night hungry.
This discussion has been closed.