Strengthening legs vs. other parts of body

Options
Okay, so I saw my doctor the other day and I mentioned I was going to start strength training since muscle burns more calories than fat. My doctor told me to just do cardio and build my leg muscles because they are the largest muscles and would produce the best results, rather than work on other areas. I had never heard of this before. Is this true?

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Doing cardio does not build the muscles of your legs, it just burns calories and developing muscle mass throughout your entire body is superior to developing it just in your lower extremities. Your doctor is an idiot and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Please tell him that I called him an idiot. Thanks.

Edit: You should still do cardio though.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The extra calorie burned from building more muscle is negligible. You should strength train to be stronger and/or to change your appearance, not for the extra calories burned from carrying more muscle. Your main focus in losing fat ought to be diet as that is the best/easiest single way to do it. Add in some exercise, aerobic and/or strength, and you've got the ultimate combo.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    The extra calorie burned from building more muscle is negligible. You should strength train to be stronger and/or to change your appearance, not for the extra calories burned from carrying more muscle. Your main focus in losing fat ought to be diet as that is the best/easiest single way to do it. Add in some exercise, aerobic and/or strength, and you've got the ultimate combo.

I have changed my diet and I seem to have a handle on that. I do want to be stronger and change my appearance, but right now my main concern is losing the weight, so I'd rather concentrate on that now. Strength training and toning will come later.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    while your legs are your largest muscles, they will burn best by doing squats and other leg Strength exercise. But you should do full body strength routines,

I do Upper body strength, Lower Body strength, and Cardio.

Eating healthy is really the key.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Doing cardio does not build the muscles of your legs, it just burns calories and developing muscle mass throughout your entire body is superior to developing it just in your lower extremities. Your doctor is an idiot and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Please tell him that I called him an idiot. Thanks.

Hmmm - are you sure the doctor didnt say "do cardio AND build the muscles in your legs" (rather than "do cardio to build the muscles in your legs")? Sure full body is better, but a focus on the legs - squats, deads, lunges, running, jumping is better than doing the usual tricep kickbacks and curls with light weights that a lot of young ladies default to, lol.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have changed my diet and I seem to have a handle on that. I do want to be stronger and change my appearance, but right now my main concern is losing the weight, so I'd rather concentrate on that now. Strength training and toning will come later.

I hear this all the time on this forum and have never understand this line of thinking. Why would you hold off doing something as EXTREMELY beneficial as strength training for later?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Hmmm - are you sure the doctor didnt say "do cardio AND build the muscles in your legs" (rather than "do cardio to build the muscles in your legs")? Sure full body is better, but a focus on the legs - squats, deads, lunges, running, jumping is better than doing the usual tricep kickbacks and curls with light weights that a lot of young ladies default to, lol.

That's a good point, Roger. I'm sorry, I default to irritated mode any time that I hear a physician give exercise advice. I work in medicine and the docs will come get me if someone has a question about exercise because they admittedly have no experience or training in it.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

That's a good point, Roger. I'm sorry, I default to irritated mode any time that I hear a physician give exercise advice. I work in medicine and the docs will come get me if someone has a question about exercise because they admittedly have no experience or training in it.
    Oh I know what you mean about doctors, some of them are a bit worrying tbh. Though asking you about lifting sounds like a good move on their part!
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

Perhaps, but the context was that I said I would start doing strength training and he stopped me when i said that. So to me it sounded like he was against strength training and that he wanted me to only do cardio.
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

That's why I asked. Doctors are notorious about not knowing much about diet as well and giving poor advice.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

strength training should come now.

i've lost count of the threads people put up about being at goal weight and not looking like they thought they would.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you know OP is a guy, right?
  • rogerOb1
    Options

Perhaps, but the context was that I said I would start doing strength training and he stopped me when i said that. So to me it sounded like he was against strength training and that he wanted me to only do cardio.
    In which case, lets continue with the scheduled Dr bashing, lol.
    Im sure most folks here will recommend you do a good compound lifting program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - Diet for weight control

- Cardio for cardiovascular health, fitness, and endurance

- Resistance training to be strong, improve body composition, and look awesome in your birthday suit
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options
    Thanks everybody. This was very helpful and eye opening. I always try to learn something new everyday and this thread completed that task.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I hear this all the time on this forum and have never understand this line of thinking. Why would you hold off doing something as EXTREMELY beneficial as strength training for later?

Agreed. I am noticing more benefit adding strength training to my routine 3x per week. It will also help with loose skin issues if you have a large amount of weight to lose. Good luck!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Kegels have always worked for me. :smile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I don't think guys can do those. Can they??? I mean, is there a special muscle in there that they can contract? I don't know, as i don't own a penis. :wink:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    - Diet for weight control

- Cardio for cardiovascular health, fitness, and endurance

- Resistance training to be strong, improve body composition, and look awesome in your birthday suit

QFT
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

I don't think guys can do those. Can they??? I mean, is there a special muscle in there that they can contract? I don't know, as i don't own a penis. :wink:

Yes, they can. It's supposed to improve performance in the bedroom.