What do you want to say to certain people at the gym?

Options
Bry_Fitness70
Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
On almost a daily basis, I see things in the gym that I wish I could change. Admittedly , I’m reasonably certain that others have looked at what I’m doing in the gym over the years and have had critical thoughts about it. So in that spirit, and in the spirit of passive-aggressiveness, I’d like to help some of my fellow exercisers out by assessing them on a message board that they will never read:

1) Hunched over on the treadmill / stair master person. I noticed you are working hard. You are on that machine for a long duration and sweating up a storm. But why are you bent over and leaning on the handles the whole time? Or grasping the front of it like your life depends on it? Don’t you realize that you are failing to work several key muscles and also reducing the cardio benefit? Adjust the speed and the incline so that you can remain upright with a good posture, you will get a lot more out of it.

2) Heavy weight lifting with minimal nutrition guy. You work out like an animal, with your big weight belt strapped on tightly. You are very dedicated, I see you in the gym almost every time I’m here, grunting away. But you never seem to look any different. You are in your late 20s-early 30s and are in the prime of your life. You have big arms, a big barrel chest, a pot belly, and often tiny legs (because who wastes time on legs when you can work in another bench day?). I’m thinking that once you walk out of the gym, you don’t invest any effort into fueling your body properly, beyond that big protein shake. Have you considered logging your diet? If you are going to invest all of these hours in the gym, maybe you should consider nailing down your diet and seeing more progress? (There are also these machines and exercises that provide cardio benefits that you haven’t seemed to notice, but that is a discussion for another day…)

3) Circuit guy. No one piece of equipment can hold you down for long. You need 2, 3, sometimes even 4, all unoccupied and available for you when you are ready to pounce from station to station! Unfortunately, there are only so many machines available, and there are a lot of people trying to work out within a limited amount of time (and space). I know it is upsetting when some non-circuit slacker notices that a machine that has been unoccupied for 40-50 seconds and begins using it, when they should know full well that you are in need of that as soon as you finish this other machine you are on. Have you ever considered a home gym where you don’t have to interact with other people and their annoying need to utilize machines that you need?

(If you have an impaired sense of sarcasm /humor, this thread may not be right for you)

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Uh, the dude that doesn't wipe down the machine when he's done.

I just want to tell him to be a sweetie and wipe the seatie!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Nothing. am there for me and me alone. I focus on my workout and don't care what other people are doing.
  • chazster123
    Options
    Stop posing in the mirror n hogging all the weight area space
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You forgot "stinky, crusty guy!" and "hot gym girl" who has 12 guys (and their drool) following her every move! :laugh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What do you want to say to certain people at the gym?

You're doing it wrong
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Invisible lat syndrome isn't a valid reason to park in the handicap parking space.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Nothing. am there for me and me alone. I focus on my workout and don't care what other people are doing.

I don't see any reason why I would refrain from being constantly aware of my surroundings. Some of the most valuable things that I've learned to do / not to do in life have been learned from observing others.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    PLEASE dont curl in the squat rack!!! TYVM!!!!!
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Re-rack the plates. Seriously.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    What I'd like to say: Hot guy with the very sexy muscles, visible abs, and well-inked tattoo, would you like to grab a drink sometime?

AKA, never have the nerve to say.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Please use some deodorant, please!!
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to wear perfume to the gym. You're not covering your sweat stink by any measure, and now I have a sinus headache.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

2) Heavy weight lifting with minimal nutrition guy. You work out like an animal, with your big weight belt strapped on tightly. You are very dedicated, I see you in the gym almost every time I’m here, grunting away. But you never seem to look any different. You are in your late 20s-early 30s and are in the prime of your life. You have big arms, a big barrel chest, a pot belly, and often tiny legs (because who wastes time on legs when you can work in another bench day?). I’m thinking that once you walk out of the gym, you don’t invest any effort into fueling your body properly, beyond that big protein shake. Have you considered logging your diet? If you are going to invest all of these hours in the gym, maybe you should consider nailing down your diet and seeing more progress? (There are also these machines and exercises that provide cardio benefits that you haven’t seemed to notice, but that is a discussion for another day...)

I used to work in a grocery store across the street from a gym. The swoll guys would come in shopping and I would check out their carts. Nothing but processed crap. All frozen meals or.Hamburger Helper type things. All I could think of was "Doesn't that all just negate what you did at the gym?" They were clearly muscular guys but muscularly fat or fatly muscular if that makes any sense. Their t!ts were nearly as big as mine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Dude in the rack who just squatted my warm up for your 1rm, please don't scream ala Rick Flair style "Woooo" to draw attention to yourself, I'm glad you making progress, but its blowing leafs in my breeze...
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Wipe the machine down after you use it! I don't care how not sweaty you think you are, just wipe it down.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Re-rack the plates. Seriously.

QFT!!!!!!!!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Uh, the dude that doesn't wipe down the machine when he's done.

I just want to tell him to be a sweetie and wipe the seatie!

:laugh: Yes!
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey, guy who can only lift half as much as me, I don't want your critiques or advice.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Umm, don't worry about how long I've been working out, thanks. Let me do me and you do you!:wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes! I hate it when people don't put things back the way they were! Be it re-racking weights or putting stability balls back on the rack or moving benches back to where they were. Drives me nuts!

Also, the guy who runs while holding on/hunding over the handles on the treadmill? That just makes no sense to me...