Start Weight - Should I use current SW or when I started?

Options
Hello all, as most of you can see in the subject line that pretty much sums up the question. I want to put my real start weight of when I started my journey back in December 2012, but was not sure if that would be cheating as I just started calorie counting/using this site. I have been steadily losing weight since then, but my little ticker is kind of discouraging only showing what I have lost since I started this site.....

What do you all think is it cheating????

TIA

Replies

• hollyelizabethhall
    hollyelizabethhall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel the best! If you've put in the work, I don't see a problem putting your old SW. :-)
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you want to use your original SW it wont interfere with the maths and will be a great reminder of the success you have achieved so far :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is "cheating".

Do whatever you like!

I personally use my SW for MFP, the amount I weighed on the day I started using the site to track my calories. For me, I gave MFP a shot with a bit of skepticism and it was like a challenge to see if it really worked (and for me it has).

But I'll admit that I often (in forum posts) stop and explain that the 71 lb lost on MFP isn't my entire amount lost. I have lost 116 lb. If you don't use your ultimate SW from 2012 you might have to explain that from time to time...or not...it's up to you of course!
  • mariai_martinez
    mariai_martinez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your responses, I have come pretty far before started MFP, and that darn ticker is making me a little irritated only saying 3lbs... lol :)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Mine reflects my entire weight lost, including pre-MFP. I'm effing proud of it!!!
  • Akiiki1337
    Akiiki1337 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the others here. It is nice to be able to celebrate your entire success. Especially in the slower times, or plateaus, to look back and remember how far you have actually come, can make the journey seem more worthwhile. After setting up you can add a post dated weight and measures as well.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My starting weight reflects my heaviest weight, which I reached a year ago and about eight months before I started on MFP. I use it because it marks the start of my quest to get in better shape, and the losses I achieved in those eight months (about 12 pounds) still count as losses!

Either way you choose, I definitely don't think it's cheating!
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    My starting weight doesn't reflect my heaviest weight, which was 260. I chose not to use that weight when I started MFP because I felt like I'd closed that chapter of my life and I did need to think about the past. I was losing motivation because I was like, "Well, I've already lost 80 lbs," so I'd make excuses to not eat right or work out regularly. When I joined mfp I just use the weight that I joined as- 178. So yeah, even though I've now lost over 100 lbs and I remember that, I just don't like being reminded that I was 260 at one point xD
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating, it's your success thus far! I started with my current weight but then put in a date further back when I was at my heaviest (a few months earlier) as that is when I began my weight loss and life changing trip!

You deserve credit for the work you have done, not just the work you have done while using MFP!
  • Int3rceptor
    Int3rceptor Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise I could add a past entry to change my starting weight.
    I joined MFP a month after starting my fitness regime and have lost 13 pounds up to this point.

The ticker was annoying me just showing a measly 2lbs!

Hiker - that's an awesome transformation in your profile picture. Well done!!!