500 -calories until hours?

Options
I just bought a HRM and decided to wear it to get used to it... I've had it on for about two hours and it says i have burned 500 calcries. This is just doing housework. Laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, cooking, etc... Does this sound accurate? I weight 157 pounds....in 5'3

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I weigh a couple pounds more than you. For me, standing for an hour burns about 120. Walking without a burden for an hour burns about 240. So 500 total in two hours sounds like it could be right.

But just keep in mind you probably would have burned about 100-150 in that two hours if you'd been completely sedentary.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure HRM are meant to be used in this way.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    HRMs measure heart rate. They do not measure calories burned.

The athletic science community has developed a number of calculations during aerobic exercise that can help calculate the number of calories burned during steady state aerobic exercise.

So, first, your HR has to be up above 50% of your max HR before the calculation begins to be accurate. I wasn't there while you were doing laundry, but I really doubt it was in that range.

I also doubt you were in a steady state of movement in that heart rate range for two straight hours.

Bottom line, no, it's not accurate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just bought a HRM and decided to wear it to get used to it... I've had it on for about two hours and it says i have burned 500 calcries. This is just doing housework. Laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, cooking, etc... Does this sound accurate? I weight 157 pounds....in 5'3

HRM is for steady elevated heartrate. Not for wearing it around all day. It's not going to be accurate at all for what you're doing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

HRM is for steady elevated heartrate. Not for wearing it around all day. It's not going to be accurate at all for what you're doing.
    ^^ This ^^
    HRM is a training aid for cardio not a daily activity monitor.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you want to monitor your steps / activity you might want to purchase a fit bit and link it to MFP. I have one and the two programs work well with each other and the activity is automatically adjusted for you. That way all your activity is accounted for as long as you wear the fit bit.