Is it cheating when you don't record weight gains?

Options
124»

Replies

• Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Why not weigh once a week or once every two weeks? It seems to be only optimistic for me.

I need to try this.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I only record my lowest weight, unless I've had a string of about 2 weeks of over eating (which I did recently). Then to get back on track, I record that weight and go from there.

I wish my over eating was only 2 weeks.
  • Breizier
    Options
    As long as you eventually hit a new weight it doesn't matter at all. I never record my weight until I hit a new low.

Congratulations on your fab loss.

I do this, so I have flat lined for the past 2 months.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I only record my weight ( gains ) on Sundays . Sometimes I have gained during the week and secretly hope it goes down by Sunday . I record every loss ..hahaha:bigsmile:

Do what makes you feel good , If it's not recording gains then dont . But I feel that it makes me feel like I don't lose anything - like you stated it looks like you are in a plateau....

also I like looking at my graph with the ups and downs .it's so regular I feel like I learn something ? Like every time It goes up ,shorthly after it goes down and I love seeing that ....

Good Luck !

Thanks, this sounds sensible.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I weigh daily, record my new lows here only, but record my daily weight on another app to see real fluctuations. Whatever works for you.

I do that too. I am looking to do something else because this isnt working for me any longer.
  • Breizier
    Options
    For me, not logging weight gain is cheating.I do a weekly check in every week, so weight gain means that I was doing a behavior (or neglecting one) over and over and over again. I want to be as honest with myself as possible and logging in weight gain gives a small feeling of humility and reflection. It makes me hungry to prove that I can do better for myself.

To me, if you neglect logging in a weight gain, then you could also overlook that time you decided to eat 2 bags of cookies when only half a bag is a serving size.

So, yes. You do define what cheating is because it's YOUR journey. But I keep it 100% real. If I gained weight, it's because I earned it.

I have a much more relaxed attitude to my weight loss journey. I expect to fluctuate. I expect to gain. What I do battle with is falling off the wagon completely and not getting back on for weeks or months at a time. I guess I am testing the different ways people record in order to see if there is something that might be helpful in damage limitation.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I do the same thing....I just my weight when I go down...never when I go up.

So Its not Cheating!!!!

Bless you.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I never ever record weight gains. It would be too frustrating and weight is anyhow fluctuating. It is bad enough when I see that I do not lose anything over three weeks or so.
    I always record my lowest weight. So far it worked for me and I am only 900g off my target.
    Stef.
  • Breizier
    Options
    When I lost most of my weight if I had a small gain that week I didn't record it if my weight went down the next. I'm a weekly weigher. BUT last fall my head went out of the game and for nearly 3 months I went up and up and up a little at a time until I too was 6 pounds up. I finally had my "come to Jesus" moment and record my correct weight. For me letting it go on that long wasn't helpful. Letting it go a week or two was fine.

Thank you for this. I appreciate that you shared your experience of gaining. The more I read of people's comments, the more I think a weekly weight-in warts and all might help.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't put gains in because at the end I want my true lbs lost not the ones I had to relose because of whatever reason I gained them back.
  • Breizier
    Options
    What I try to do with this info is not log it to prevent what would be annoying (to myself and others) "whoohoo you lost what you gained, then gained, lost, gained/lost, gained/lost, gained/lost, 30lbs this month", but I try to keep it in mind for when I do hit a new low or = to last lowest weight, then I go back a few days and try to add it. This produces no MFP announcements that I gained and then lost the same weight, and I get to see my fluctuations more realistically.

Excellent idea.
  • Breizier
    Options
    How can you cheat if you are making a life style change? As Yoda once said, "Do or do not. There is no try."

True on both counts, but I've never seen star wars.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down or whether or not you write it down.

That is both depressing and uplifting.
  • shannonwechser
    shannonwechser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't. Unless it trends that way for five days.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I weigh in daily and record every single fluctuation. When I'm discouraged, I can look back over the past year and see the long plateaus and the ups and downs and it really helps me. It's easy to forget that there were times along the way when I thought I would never get below X number, but I did. Recording all weight changes reminds me of that.

Thank you for reminding that looking back can help.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I have been up once or twice since I started using MFP (in 2012) and I have logged every weight. The reason is MFP has Reports section. It gives you a graph of your weight last 30 days, 60 days and I think goes upto a year.

It has helped me tremendously in analyzing of when I got rid of my weight or when I gained and great educators - those graphs. ...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reminding me about looking back.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I only record losses, lol. If I gain something I just keep on keeping on until I get a new low number. I don't even record the losses until they stick for at least a couple of days.

I don't use those reports though. My gains are no mystery - I know exactly why they happen. nom nom nom and/or :drinker:

(I really can't believe we don't have an eating smiley.)