Self sabotage

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Ok so apparently I still can't use moderation when I make baked goods. How do you all do it?

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that may be the case when i read your other thread. maybe you need to go buy one brownie at the store and eat that. Don't make a pan. How about fruit? Would that help satisfy a sweet craving for you? I gave up that stuff months ago. If I want sweet I eat fruit. It works for me. I know evertone is different though. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up about.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I just don't bake. ;)
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really just barely ever bake anymore... I've heard of people taking one treat and putting the rest in the freezer for later, but I'm not sure that would even work for me :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Options
    There's no store that only sells one brownie here unfortunately, lol. Or I would have done that... And no, when I crave something in particular, fruit is just not going to cut it.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    check your freezer section at the food store. They sell individual desserts like brownies that you can heat up. Also on the other thread a few people posted about a brownie in a mug which would be a single serving.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is a very nice post from the MFP blog on how to deal with our kryptonite foods:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/12/so-you-want-to-stop-eating-your-food-kryptonite/

Ah, I give up on trying to make it an active link. It's easy to copy-paste into a new window, though.
  • Francl27
    Options
    check your freezer section at the food store. They sell individual desserts like brownies that you can heat up. Also on the other thread a few people posted about a brownie in a mug which would be a single serving.

I've seen it, but it was 500 calories so I didn't want to do it. Oh, the irony :laugh:
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I mix a lil hot cocoa into my plain greek yogurt. Feels indulgent. Used to add cocoa to cool whip bc one serving of the creamy goodness is only 25 cals, course, there's no nutritional value.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? There is a kinds of individual desserts etc in stores here. If I bake a whole pan of something I can't control myself. I just don't bake unless I'm bringing the pan to a party or something. You can make those desserts in the microwave in a mug, the recipes are all over pinterest.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    So far, when I have cheated, I just either did my treadmill that day or the next day and/ or made sure I was really good the next few days, and didn't use all my calories the next day.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I really just barely ever bake anymore... I've heard of people taking one treat and putting the rest in the freezer for later, but I'm not sure that would even work for me :laugh:
    I freaking LOVE frozen brownies, cookie dough, cheesecake, and other baked (or not yet baked) goods. I discovered that soon after trying this trick. :ohwell:
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ok so bake things you don't like...I used my sisters easy-bake oven to cook my mud pies...they looked great but tasted REALLY bad..hat was it for my baking career..
  • Francl27
    Options
    I freaking LOVE frozen brownies, cookie dough, cheesecake, and other baked (or not yet baked) goods. I discovered that soon after trying this trick. :ohwell:

:laugh:

I actually hadn't baked anything for a while, so now I just have to stay away for a while again.

But yeah, I'll have to try and find good mug recipes for next time.

And no, sorry, cocoa in Greek yogurt, not going to cut it. I've tried that, chocolate oatmeal, vitatops muffin tops... nothing worked. When I have a craving I just need the real thing, lol.

Good thing is my craving is gone (we still have half the brownies too, but I'm going to try really hard not to touch those... hubby said there isn't enough to bring to his friends tomorrow now!).
  • janine2355
    Options
    Ok so apparently I still can't use moderation when I make baked goods. How do you all do it?
    It's tough because, like yourself, I also have a family and they love when I bake. It's not fair to them if I never baked, just because I'm watching what I eat. Not too long ago I made banana bread. I did have a slice with a cup of tea and that wound up being my breakfast. It was a high caloric breakfast for me, but I counted that as my breakfast. Then the rest of the day I was really good. I think I may have even gone on the treadmill later on that night. I'm not going to punish myself and gets nuts over having a piece of banana bread when most days I do really well, so you should do the same. You have lost so much weight. You are doing awesome. Just exercise later on in the day so you will feel better and do really good with your calories the next day. That's all.
  • impish_90
    Options
    Here's a couple of links to a bunch of single-serving dessert recipes! I've tried several of them, and they're pretty yummy-- as a plus, there's not the temptation of the entire pan. :)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/delicious-snacks-in-a-mug?sub=1954677_791965

http://lacreativitedelafille.blogspot.com/search/label/single serving

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/tag/single-serving/ (<-this one is great because she includes the nutritional information)
  • brittany1480
    Options
    Its hard so I try not to buy the "bad" stuff. But the other day another member posted a recipe for molten chocolate cake but healthier. Haven't tried it yet but I'm keeping it handy for when I have that hard to resist craving. Here it is:

Molten lava cake 

1 egg white 
    1 heaping scoop chocolate protein powder 
    1 tbsp cocoa powder 
    sweetener to taste( 1 packet should be enough) 
    dash baking powder 
    less than 1/8 cup water 

mix ingredients adding only little bit of water at a time until it is the consistency of cake batter. Microwave for 25 to 35 seconds. Should still be runny in the middle. Stir together. Ready to serve
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    If you get the refrigerated mini Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie dough, you can bake them one or two at a time. They are about 50 calories each, and a warm chocolate chip cookie should satisfy those cravings. Just be sure to turn off the oven and return the package to the fridge or freezer.
  • janine2355
    Options
    If I'm having a choclate or sugary craving, I make myself a hot cup of diet or sugar free coco and believe it or not, It takes the craving away. Especially after dinner at around 7, I always crave a piece of cake or cookie or something, but doing this coco thing, really helps a lot and there are so little calories in it.:drinker:
  • evilstep
    evilstep Posts: 1
    Options
    I love reading all the advice here, I self sabotage, and am well aware I do it, but just can't help it....don't know why!! Great ideas here, thanks!
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I bake and take. If it is a cake or pan of brownies I bring it to the office to give away. That allows everyone to devour it and usually I can get a piece to myself with no concerns but don't have to keep the full pan on the counter. It helps quite a bit. I find the less I eat sweets the easier it is to control cravings.