Very Frustrated

Options
13»

Replies

• jericho60
    jericho60 Posts: 10
    Options
    You already have some good advise here but I just want to add one thing .
    Make sure you are drinking enough water .
    I feel like my weight loss stalled because I was not drinking enough water - maybe I'm wrong but at least this advise couldn't hurt :bigsmile:

And good luck !

I'm putting away at least a half gallon of water a day -- on gym days I put away far more than that. Probably over a gallon.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You diary isn't open, so we can't see what you are eating. I would say to be sure to weigh and measure and log everything. And how are you calculating calories burned? Do you have a fitbit or a polar ft4? They are more accurate than what it shows on here.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I should also clarify that I didn't exactly do a "cleanse" to start this thing, it was five days worth of the lemonade/cayenne fast, where I dropped ten pounds pronto. I may try going back to something like 600 calories/day a couple days a week and see if that brings any results...like maybe a couple of hardboiled eggs, some V8 juice and a salad or a can of tuna or something, that should all add up to 600

I've had a little experience with the weight loss issue.

Read the blog post linked below. There are some very useful links in it to help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-resolution-that-stuck-my-two-year-mfpiversary-607930
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

If not, you could be eating more than you think.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

This goes along the lines of if you're not losing weight you're not in a deficit. Weighing your food and logging it as accurately as possible ensure that you are in fact in a deficit. If you're in a deficit, you will lose weight, barring any medical issues.

Also read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

There's alot of good information to be had in both links. Read them thoroughly and put what's written into practice.

These are great references.
  • jericho60
    Options
    Diary is open
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Diary is open

It's still not open, check your settings again
  • jericho60
    Options
    OK, should be now
  • cbeevs
    cbeevs Posts: 41
    Options
    It is expected that you will hear lots of differing ideas. Everyone is different. I would say, start with what has worked for you in the past. Then compare that to what you do when you do not stay in shape. I sent the link to the guy who decided to fast twice a week. You can already do 6 days, but maybe 6 days will get old ? You have a positive attitude and no doubt you will make it since this means you will keep trying.
    1. try what works for you, even if others think it is not the way to go. (study why they think it is bad)
    2. try what works for others with similar body types, age and fitness to you.
    3. tweak your short term success model for long term. If fasting is the only way that works, fast enough to loose enough, since obviously at some point it will be better to eat than fast.
    4.try what seems to work for everyone, more vegetable, no refined foods etc..

Good luck and keep us posted :)
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    44 here, started at 230. Last summer I biked a lot, I quickly found that it really did not increase my heart rate enough. I could bike for miles and miles... I just did not really get my rate up enough to burn calories. The bike was doing too much of the work.

When I started to get serious in December I got on the treadmill. Sure enough the pounds melted away with a deficit and walking / running. I stayed at 1500 calories burning 3K ish a week n the treadmill with weights a few times a week.

Given my middle aged experience I suggest trying something that's going to really raise your heart rate.
  • cbeevs
    cbeevs Posts: 41
    Options
    It is expected that you will hear lots of differing ideas. Everyone is different. I would say, start with what has worked for you in the past. Then compare that to what you do when you do not stay in shape. I sent the link to the guy who decided to fast twice a week. You can already do 6 days, but maybe 6 days will get old ? You have a positive attitude and no doubt you will make it since this means you will keep trying.
    1. try what works for you, even if others think it is not the way to go. (study why they think it is bad)
    2. try what works for others with similar body types, age and fitness to you.
    3. tweak your short term success model for long term. If fasting is the only way that works, fast enough to loose enough, since obviously at some point it will be better to eat than fast.
    4.try what seems to work for everyone, more vegetable, no refined foods etc..

Good luck and keep us posted :)
    Fasting is not necessary so stop claiming that it is some magical tool.

OP, you have said you have been checked by the doctor and have no medical conditions so ignore the advice involving that.
    As much as you want to say you are logging accurately, weighing all foods and measuring all liquids, you have to double and triple check your logging for errors. Errors are lot made deliberately that's why the are errors. Sometimes we just don't see them.

And don't drop down to 600 calories, that just makes no sense.

Where in my post did you see the word magic? Did you even bother to read what this man's original post said worked for him? Did you even watch the video that you criticize? You may have valid points, listening to others is a good skill. That being said are you anything like the poster? Are you sure your method will work for him? he is already discouraged from trying the low cal method. Are you sure he should continue if it has not worked ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do cleanses, only thing they clean out are your wallet. You don't need to stay away from carbs, sugars or any other food. You need to eat at a calorie deficit, accurately log your intake. Your diary isn't open so can't see how your logging is, but if you aren't losing anything in 4 weeks you aren't in a deficit.

mainly nonsense

what is nonsense about that?
  • jericho60
    Options
    Well, now y'all are squabbling among yourselves, which is what I was afraid was gonna happen. Ten people and fifteen different kinds of advice.

I am just gonna keep doing what I'm doing -- I had a difficult day yesterday and fell off the routine with bad food, a shot of bourbon and two beers. I'm not doing that again.

I can tell you that I am going to transition away from so much cardio and over to more strength training. On Sunday at the gym I did 15 minutes of stairstepper (which gets my pulse rate up pronto), followed by 45 minutes of strength and core work (i.e. 4 x 20 kettlebell swings and rows with a 30# weight, medicine ball stuff, curls, squats, etc). I bookended the workout with 18 minutes on the elliptical machine. I was a sweaty mess by the time I was done, and worked everything hard enough to be sore as hell the next day.

I know that I have to be destroying ... just incinerating ... calories that way. If that doesn't do it, nothing will.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You already have some good advise here but I just want to add one thing .
    Make sure you are drinking enough water .
    I feel like my weight loss stalled because I was not drinking enough water - maybe I'm wrong but at least this advise couldn't hurt :bigsmile:

And good luck !

I am the same way. My weight loss is very slow if I do not exercise and drink plenty of water.