Drinking your meals?

Options
What are my options for drinking breakfast and lunch? I don't want to have to eat between breakfast lunch shakes .. As for dinner I will be cooking.

As for exercise... I want to get rid of fat and tone at the same time so I am thinking of doing the Jillian Michael 30 day shred starting tomorrow.

Replies

• jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to drink your meals instead of actually eating them?

I like Carnation Instant Breakfast, the chocolate flavor, but I have to actually eat something with it or else I don't feel full.
  • fitladybug
    Options
    Hi, I'm starting a new eating plan tomorrow now that the weather is getting warmer. I will be replacing breakfast & lunch with protein smoothies. I will be using almond milk, fruits, veggies, chia or flax seeds. But I will also be eating small 100-150 calorie snacks in between. I plan on cooking a healthy dinner too.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I understand the desire for drinking instead of eating meals sometimes, but not always. I don't always feel like eating but still need energy, so drinking a shake is easier for those times. There are loads of meal replacement shakes you can buy online or at most grocery stores. I personally think Myoplex makes a decent chocolate shake.

However, if you don't want a pre-made shake, try mixing up some Greek yogurt, spinach, frozen fruit of your choice (I like freezing peeled bananas), a spoon of peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and some milk (skim, almond, 2%, whole, whatever you drink) in the blender or food processor. Makes a great nutritious shake for any meal and is easily altered to your own needs.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I have considered such thing but for me it was more for health reasons.
    How has this turned out for those who have tried it?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    As my diary shows .. I have no problem drinking meals ..

But seriously .. The occasional slim fast or carnation or whatever shake is an easy meal replacement and better than doing nothing or making a choice that you're unhappy with .. but .. my experience is; success is more sustainable if you do some prepwork and put in the effort to eat "real food" .. I shop sunday mornings, and prep cook on sunday afternoons. I'll portion items out for the week so it's a no-brainer to walk out the door with a "good day's food" ...

Just my $0.02
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    protein powder? smoothie? protein smoothie?
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious as to why - Convenience? Medical reasons? Something else? I was on a liquid diet for a long time for medical reasons and I hated it. There are plenty of liquid options, it just really depends on your purpose for doing it.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    Theres tons of amazing and healthy smoothie recipes out there, maybe not as an entire meal but they are satisfying and delicious. My favorite is almond milk, spinach, a banana, and ice. So amazing.

heres more: http://losing-every-extra-pound.tumblr.com/post/61721598276
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like "drinking" my breakfast in smoothie form as I make a green vegetable smoothie for breakfast.

Why? I would never ever EAT 400g of spinach a day, leave alone kale!

By making a breakfast smoothie, I do not need to eat breakfast, but I have a smoothie that lasts all day(about 1l of smoothie) and I can make sure I have my 3-5 servings of veggies a day.

Pure convenience, yummie,healthy and easy on the digestive system.

Stef.
  • The_Iron_Beast
    Options
    Breakfast - Beer
    Lunch - Vodka
    Dinner - Tequila
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement diets usually fail when the dieter starts eating solid food again, so unless you plan to do this forever, it would be better to eat food.

However, If it's just for convenience once in a while then a protein smoothie can be an easy breakfast.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like having a smoothie for breakfast.

I blend together 1 banana, a handful of frozen berries, a spoon of lsa, and a cup of kefir (yoghurt or milk can be used instead).

As for lunch, the only time I would drink lunch is if I am having soup.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I had a really nasty jaw infection from an impacted wisdom tooth and couldn't chew anything. I ate soup and protein powder smoothies made in a blender with protein powder, laban (arabic dairy product) and fruit. I also worried the whole time about getting enough food so I didn't lose lean mass. I was so glad when I could eat solid food again!!

Unless you're doing the liquid food thing for medical reasons, I really wouldn't recommend it, because it's dull and unsustainable. Think of dieting as a long term thing, something you stick to forever. If you do something drastic for short term losses then revert back to your previous way of eating, you'll just gain the weight back again. Make long term maintenance - i.e. staying at your goal weight for life - you goal, and make small and sustainable changes that you can stick to for life, such as smaller portion sizes, eating a balanced diet, getting into the habit of logging your food so you know when you've eaten enough for the day, and do some kind of exercise you enjoy and can stick to in the long term. That way the weight comes off slowly, and you enjoy the process and you find it easy to stay at your goal weight for life because you didn't torture yourself to get there and there's no need to torture yourself to stay there either.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    But but soylent green is made out of...
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - Beer
    Lunch - Vodka
    Dinner - Tequila

I was hoping someone would go this direction with it...but I would substitute wine for the beer and rum for the vodka. :drinker:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    What are my options for drinking breakfast and lunch? I don't want to have to eat between breakfast lunch shakes .. As for dinner I will be cooking.

As for exercise... I want to get rid of fat and tone at the same time so I am thinking of doing the Jillian Michael 30 day shred starting tomorrow.

Is there a reason for this? Smoothies can be great you can use fruits, veg, flax and hemp seeds, coconut water, almond milk, yogurt, oils such as flax and cocount, protein powders. If you are doing this for convenience I can understand it but I would make sure you have enough in your smoothies to sustain you. Whatever works for you but hopefully you are looking at the total picture and making sure you are meeting your calorie goals and meeting your macros. Good luck :flowerforyou: