Alright fitness gurus, I need advice!

Options
Hi, all. I need some help. So I've been working out the last month. I bought an elliptical, so I'm doing that 5-6 times a week, and I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred, I'm on day 5 of that. My issue is this... something happened to my knee sometime in the last few days to the point of constant pain when walking and I can't even do a jumping jack without wanting to scream. I don't remember a specific thing that I did to hurt it, it just started hurting one day and it's getting worse with the exercise. I don't want to stop the 30 Day Shred, I really don't. Any advice on what to do for the knee so that I can keep going?? Just ibuprofen and grin and bare it? Ice? A brace? Cut the damn thing off?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are in that much pain, stop exercising and see a doctor.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You need to let the knee heal. Trust me. If you are in pain walking, you should not do the 30 day shred. Ibuprofen, ice/heat, and rest it. You could risk a much more serious injury. If it doesn't feel better, see a doctor.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The 30 day shred is rough on the knees anyway. It's probably best to stop and see a doctor.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You have to let it heal.

I have a messed up hip and when I screwed it up again just after The New Year I had to take some time off and then I gradually started exercising again SLOWLY. To this day I cannot incline my treadmill as much as I used to as it throws out my hip every time. I still get weekly adjustments at the chiro.

I am now having trouble with my elbow (yay) so again, had to let it rest and heal. I now wear an elbow support sleeve when I lift and it has really helped me out. You might want to look into a knee support brace that you can wear when you workout once you let it heal a bit.

Also look at your routine, you may have to modify it a bit as it may be putting more pressure on your knee. There may be another program out there that isn't as hard on the knees.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Let it heal.

Be sure when you are doing your squats in 30DS you are doing them with proper form.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Ummmm, yeah. What kind of advice were you really expecting? Knee pain so bad that you can hardly walk should be sending up huge red flags and sirens. Even if you don't want to see a doctor, at least rest it totally for a week and then reassess how it feels. Ice and compression helps too.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I actually experienced exactly what you are describing. I didn't need to see a doctor, but I did have to take a full week off of doing the 30 Day Shred. Your knee needs rest, ice, compression and elevation at this point. Take some Ibuprofen to help alleviate the inflammation and allow oxygenated blood to reach the injured area. If after a few days, you're not feeling any improvement, then it might be time to have it examined by a doctor. I promise you, it's worth the wait to let the pain subside rather than risk a serious injury that will sideline you for much longer. I'm right back at it and have progressed on to Level 2!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Exercising causes so much agony in knee that amputation is jokingly suggested as a solution. And the question is "how to keep going?"

*slowly backs out of thread*
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I need some help. So I've been working out the last month. I bought an elliptical, so I'm doing that 5-6 times a week, and I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred, I'm on day 5 of that. My issue is this... something happened to my knee sometime in the last few days to the point of constant pain when walking and I can't even do a jumping jack without wanting to scream. I don't remember a specific thing that I did to hurt it, it just started hurting one day and it's getting worse with the exercise. I don't want to stop the 30 Day Shred, I really don't. Any advice on what to do for the knee so that I can keep going?? Just ibuprofen and grin and bare it? Ice? A brace? Cut the damn thing off?

There are some pains/injuries you keep going or modify your routine. There are some that are a stop and heal. This isnt' a niggle or a minor pain, this is screaming "stop now!" . Do not push through it.

No one ever wants to stop their exercise routine. For most it is the worst part of being injured. But there comes a point when there is no choice. Stopping to rest and heal an injury takes time, pushing through or coming back too soon will cost you much more time in the long run. Ask any runner who has battled an injury, most go back too soon and end up worse.

Ibuprofen, ice and rest would be my first course of action. Seeing a doctor is also a good idea.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I had knee trouble when I was doing the 30 day shred, too. I know its not what you want to maybe hear...but you need to rest it.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Stop any form of exercise that involves your knee. And make an appointment to see that doctor!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you most definitely over did it. i tried 30 day shred, and it's got some exercises like side lunges, which i hate, and is an exercise most people do wrong. you probably need a few days off, some ibuprofen, and some ice and some heat.

you know 30 day shred is just a marketing name, right? it's not meant to be done 30 days in a row.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Seriously.

Also - I'm a runner, and my knees still can't tolerate 30DS. Jumping Jacks are ****ing evil.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Let it heal or it could become worse. And see a doctor.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    you most definitely over did it. i tried 30 day shred, and it's got some exercises like side lunges, which i hate, and is an exercise most people do wrong. you probably need a few days off, some ibuprofen, and some ice and some heat.

you know 30 day shred is just a marketing name, right? it's not meant to be done 30 days in a row.
    I always thought people would just understand that automatically, but lately I've realised they really don't! I have a different JM DVD and she mentions doing 3-4 workouts a week, and I'm pretty sure she says that on all of them. I've been an athlete all my life and the thought of even 7 days without a break sounds too much, even for me!

OP, at the very least you need to rest and follow the good advice re: ice, ibuprofen and so on. If it doesn't get better, you need to see someone about it. I'm terrible for pushing through injuries (it's a dancer thing) but even I know that if it really is too sore to carry on, I need to stop.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch?

If you don't, the hamstring and quad muscles probably have shortened enough to cause you major knee pain. Both ends of those muscles wrap around the knee and tighten their grip over time if not lengthened.

If you didn't hear a pop, I'm guessing you just need to stretch.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Stop working out and see a doctor. Also I'm not real sure what 30 day shred is. But if it's heavily cardio based then I don't see why you need to be on the eliptical as well. Steady state cardio just promotes your body to store fat anyways. So you probably just put too much stress on your knee doing both. Especially if you were sedmentary before you started both.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    30DS killed my knees, and I was pretty fit before starting, used good form, etc. I didn't stop, but I majorly modified the cardio bursts to limit jumping, and I went at a slower pace. I finished because I had committed, but I would never do it consecutively like that again. (I took a day off between levels.) I've gone back for a day here or there, and that seems okay. Her DVD "No more trouble spots," or something like that, is lower impact.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had a coach that said that there is a difference between being in pain, and being injured. When you're hurting, but still functional, you push through.

If your joint hurts just by walking, you're past that point. You're injured. The options here normally are take a few days off now or take a few weeks or months off later.
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Options
    Think long term. Get your knee healthy and start the 30 day challenge over again after that. It's not a race to the finish line so make sure you get there healthy!