Anyone else have days where they don't get full??

Options
Hello all,

Obviously, this isn't the worst problem for someone to have when the goal is weight gain, but I just wanted to make sure it was normal(ish) to have days where there is almost no satiation (or maybe have it, but it is very fleeting). I have been eating good, filling foods, but I just feel like I should be more satisfied from the foods I'm consuming.

The only thing I can think of that would explain it is I exercise regularly (rock climbing for about 2 hours 4-6 times a week and running 2-3 times a week) and maybe that would increase hunger, but it's not like exercise is a new thing for me.

Can anyone suggest why this may be/ verify that I'm not the only person that goes through this??

Thanks

Replies

• matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    also, does anybody else find that they are more hungry on their rest or recovery days?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose but yes I have days after exercising that I could eat and eat.
    And it isn't all the time. I make sure I'm eating enough and stick to my calorie goals - different for you I know.
    I use my TDEE and exercise calories to monitor my intake and trust those numbers.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    also, does anybody else find that they are more hungry on their rest or recovery days?

I do find this as well, but I have no idea why. Perhaps I've heard that exercise can actually reduce appetite.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Yes - especially on recovery days, like you said. It is awful, and even a year later, I am not able to properly prepare for these days!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sometimes fatigue...sometimes I'm not getting satisfaction from the foods I'm eating because they are the same old foods...over and over and over again. I'm used to them, I know how to make them...but they are boring.

I think for me food has to be visually pleasing and kind of a little ceremony for me to really feel satisfied. I don't make fancy meals all week, but I focus on having one wonderful treat meal on Saturday night....not a big greasy pizza (which doesn't do it for me), but something like a great meal at a good Indian restaurant.

Good question, BTW.
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have days like this that are unexplainable, sometimes I think it is when I am craving something that I don't give into. I am definitely more hungry on rest days. The only exercise that makes me want to eat like crazy is swimming. If I swim in the morning before work, I could eat and eat and eat all day. It's awful.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am having one of those days...and it is terrible!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming enough calories?? Open your diary.
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    Last night I decided to have a light dinner at 7pm because I wasn't hungry. By 8:30pm I was STARVING and had no calories left. I almost never have a perfect day. Either I fill calories and feel hungry after or I under eat because I am not hungry at all. I have accepted it. Once in while, very rarely, I will eating more and put it on my next day's log but then I usually have the same problem the next day so I try not to do that. I just wait it out and tell myself the only one I'd be cheating if I ate would be me. I don't want to be fat anymore.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, even though I'm trying to gain and even though more food = good, I spent so many years trying to eat less and less that it totally freaks me out when I have one of those days. It awakens the mean girl part of my brain that just wants to tell me how fat I am. I still haven't figured out a good way to handle those days.
  • sydneywb86
    sydneywb86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my goal is to lose, but YES! and I hate when it happens...and I also would love an explanation. Happens on rest days sometimes but also on days i work out. Been trying to track it but honestly can't see a rhyme or reason. Some of it I know is directly related to TOM approaching but when it happens other times, I got no clue. I'm eating more protein and vegetables that EVER so I'm DOUBLE confused...
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes! I find I am less hungry the days I swim, and more hungry the days I take it easy, which seems strange to me. I try drinking lots of fluids(no cals) when I can't seem to feel full. That helps.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I find that I'm a lot more peckish and inclined to want naughty foods on the days I don't go to the gym, it's almost like a boredom thing for me I think, so I don't have actual rest days, I do something light, like go for a walk or for a splash about in the pool, rather than do nothing.... I've also heard that exercise reduces appetite, which certainly seems to be the case for me.

I seem to be having a seriously hungry day today and I have been to the gym.... Go figure lol xXx
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    when i dont eat normal food and snacks/processed sweets to fill my calories iam hungry all day .. it best to eat normal meal . it dont mater what snack you eat it wont take the place of your filling meals and you will end up hungry again so what the point of snacks ..
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I've been on maint...bulking for a while now...I'm constantlhy hungry..just part of it I've learned to accept!! And yes, I am more hungry on rest days than workout days!! I think bc exercise is an appetitite suppresant in a way so rest days you just feel hungry!!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, I try to look at the weekly trend.

Somedays I log 20,000 steps and I'm busy the whole day and staying within my range is easy. The next day, I'm tired, it is more of a desk day and the combination means I have more time to eat and less energy to think about eating properly.

When I look at my overall calorie total for the week, I'm still in the win column.

I've been on a diet since I got out of a diaper (my mother was one of those compulsive dieters but maternal food stuffers) so when I don't think I'm eating enough calories or too many calories, I freak out.

I think "normal" people eat more when they need the calories without overeating...I just have to really work to be normal.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to lose, but there are random days that I just can't seem to get full. It's very hard on those days not to go over my calorie limit. Those are the days I have to be strong and ignore the hunger pains or have a pickle, that does the trick a lot of times
  • girlnerd
    girlnerd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read the Wheat Belly book -- it has the key to why you may never feel full. I read this book recently. Now that I'm off gluten (although I'm not gluten intolerant by any means), I am feeling totally satisfied on 1100 to 1200 calories per day.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yep but also as many have said, I eat a lot more on rest days