How many calories am I really burning?

Options
Any fitness pros out there! I need help. I can't run due to knee issues so the only cardio I do is elliptical training . (I'mainly focusing on weight as I don't want to lose any more fat.) anyway I know they overestimate calorie intake. I've used the calorie calculator online using my weight and hear rate but when I googled it I read that the average calories burnt per 30 mins is only around 250.

I weight 55kg/125lb my heart rate was 170 and I worked out for an hour today. The trainer said I burnt 800 and when I used the calorie calculator it said around 600. I was at intensity level 12-13 and incline 100% so it was pretty intense.

Does anyone know roughly on average how many calories I REALL burnt? I'm going to invest in a heart rate monitor soon but just can't at the moment.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get a heartrate monitor.

but honestly, probably about half of what the machine is telling you.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The elliptical trainer at my gym gives crazy burn estimates even if I enter my weight, I just ignore it.
    Honestly, 250 calories for 30 minutes of medium effort doesn't sound too low for your weight. I usually burn 300-ish during a brisk 30 minutes run and I weigh more than you.
    Unfortunately, websites (including MFP) and machines tend to overestimate calorie burn. Just pick one estimate (I'd start with 500 kcal/hour), stick to it and readjust if needed. :)