Going on Vacation--Need advice!

I am going on a three day weekend get-a-way and I am trying to decide whether or not I should keep counting calories or if I should just "blow it" this weekend. I have been so good for 6 weeks now (never once going over the alloted calories), so now I find this to be a hard decision. What have you all done when you go on vacation?

There will be lots of eating out, and I know I can make heathy choices...but should I still actually count everything I eat?

Replies

• I am going on a three day weekend get-a-way and I am trying to decide whether or not I should keep counting calories or if I should just "blow it" this weekend. I have been so good for 6 weeks now (never once going over the alloted calories), so now I find this to be a hard decision. What have you all done when you go on vacation?

There will be lots of eating out, and I know I can make heathy choices...but should I still actually count everything I eat?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    count it dear but dont make it seem that way. put down the fork alot with out it in your hand you wont go crazy...watch what you drink those calories add up FAST!!!!!! and have fun
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Last time we went away for 4 days (while I was on MFP) I didn't count calories, but I tried to keep my portions small, drink LOTS of water all day, and I tried to make the best choices I could given the menu. Every morning we did a breakfast buffet, and I saved an apple and banana each day for my two snacks.

I also really increased my activity (lots of walks, swimming) and didn't eat late at night. I really enjoyed mylself, and still lost 1 lb!

ENJOY YOURSELF!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    I went on a two week vacation and came back right where i was supposed to be.

I kept exercise up with runs and long walks outdoors.

For food I just made healthy choices. I knew how many calories foods had and I bought a pocket calorie dictionary to look up anything I didn't know.

My dad once said, one weekend off can equal two weeks in the gym. I wasn't going to risk being set back two weeks.

This site helps you set up a healthy balanced lifestyle and you know have the skills to go anywhere and eat perfect for you!

I have faith that you will have fun and do great.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    you don't have to go to either extreme. don't log every last calorie, don't deprive yourself, but don't pig out either. Have fun!
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    What a coincidence.....I just returned a few hours ago from a 4-day big family get-together! My two sisters and I traveled to Texas to visit our many aunts, uncles and cousins there....first time in seven years for me! It was wonderful. We had an amazing ptich-in meal on one side of the family, and a home-cooked meal that was astounding on the other and all other meals were eaten out somewhere. I decided to not bother with the counting, but in general, stuck with salads for all my restaurant lunches and dinners, minimized desserts, etc. I don't know yet how it turned out......am just trembling in fear of the mighty scale tomorrow.....:grumble: ...but will accept the verdict and keep going!

All of the above advice from others sounds reasonable....pick and choose as you see fit and have fun!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    If it were me, I would try to make the best food choices possible, but allow for a (few) treats, like a cocktail or two (or three). :drinker: Also, you can keep track of what you consume on some scratch paper and enter it all into MFP when you get home. That way you can find out how did on calories when you get back. It will be a good test to see how close you can stay to your target.

Good luck! Have Fun!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    ditto to all the above.

ENJOY YOURSELF:drinker: