Am I set to right fitness level?

Options
Hello everyone
I'm trying to figure out my fitness level but the examples given aren't really assisting. First let me say this, there is no exercise routine in my life. I plan to but I want to be able to add the exercise to myfitpal instead of including it as my daily activity level as the app seems to suggest.

Currently I work in a high volume print center. My day is split from the desk to running around the shop, the warehouse and all around. Sometimes there is large amounts of heavy lifting but its not everyday so I dont count it. Yesterday was a typical day and I made 2400 steps at a pretty decent pace because usually im rushing around. On the weekends I dont do much other than clean and sit on the computer.

My concern is should I be set to sedentry or lightly active. I didnt know if lightly active was too high or not. To me that seems right but I'm no expert. Any opinions would be really appreciated. I'm just ready to do this right as I have about 100lbs to lose! Thank you!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. And your goal should always be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, never the minimum. Food is fuel.

I would try light active (or even active) for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much sat down for the majority of the day and I'm set to lightly active and losing fine. I'd say you sound a lot more active than me
  • Jinxy23
    Jinxy23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to be in a similar situation. I work in a supermarket, so some days i will spend sitting on a till but others i'll be moving heavy stock around the store. To sort of balance it out i picked light active and it seems to be about right so far.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I'm trying to figure out my fitness level but the examples given aren't really assisting. First let me say this, there is no exercise routine in my life. I plan to but I want to be able to add the exercise to myfitpal instead of including it as my daily activity level as the app seems to suggest.
    . Any opinions would be really appreciated. I'm just ready to do this right as I have about 100lbs to lose! Thank you!
    You have this bit a little back to front...
    MFP asks you to chose an activity level (not fitness level) that reflects your lifestyle and job. Your routine sounds like a mix of sedentary and lightly active so why not go for lightly active and see how your results are after a few weeks?
    With a 100lbs to lose those days running around the warehouse and lifting are going to burn quite a few calories so sedentary ("seated" or "sitting down") would seem too conservative.

Adding in dedicated exercise is exactly how MFP is designed to be used, log exercise and eat back those extra calories to keep your selected deficit in the right zone.

Be prepared to re-evaluate your results after a period of time and adjust calories if needed.
    One of the most important things you can do it so be as accurate with your food logging as possible - a digital scale is a great investment.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Unless you sit at home and dont do anything but walk to the bathroom, kitchen, and couch. You are lightly active.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The sedentary setting here is very low. I do not believe you are sedentary at all. I would go with at least lightly active. Or you could choose the next level up and see how that works for you. I am always a fan of eating the most I can while still losing weight at a moderate pace, I prefer to start high and move down if needed with calorie levels.
  • highball8869
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Maybe you can help with my next issue. I'm 320lbs, 6' 1" tall and to lose 2lbs a week I'm supposed to eat 2400 calories a day. I am having a reaaaal hard time doing so. My numbers look good in a sense of dietary needs ( limiting fat to proper levels, eating enough protein, carbs, etc.) But I'm always falling short of 2000 calories let alone 2400. I worry of falling too low to the dreaded starvation mode you hear so much about but I feel like I eat so much, constantly snacking/eating 6 times a day, drink a good amount of water.I've lost about ten pounds but it goes up and down 2 lbs or so. Just want to make sure I'm not making dumb mistakes. I've only been at it 2 weeks but I want to get the right habits now while it's easy to adjust them. Any advice?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Maybe you can help with my next issue. I'm 320lbs, 6' 1" tall and to lose 2lbs a week I'm supposed to eat 2400 calories a day. I am having a reaaaal hard time doing so. My numbers look good in a sense of dietary needs ( limiting fat to proper levels, eating enough protein, carbs, etc.) But I'm always falling short of 2000 calories let alone 2400. I worry of falling too low to the dreaded starvation mode you hear so much about but I feel like I eat so much, constantly snacking/eating 6 times a day, drink a good amount of water.I've lost about ten pounds but it goes up and down 2 lbs or so. Just want to make sure I'm not making dumb mistakes. I've only been at it 2 weeks but I want to get the right habits now while it's easy to adjust them. Any advice?

Starvation mode is over used and very misunderstood on this board. Starvation mode aside, eating too little isn't great although you aren't too far off.

Also keep in mind that this is all an estimation. I've seen a lot of people claim they are eating few calories but they also aren't logging accurately. But assuming you are to answer you question -

I find when a lot of people complain they can't hit their calorie goal, they have gone total "diet" mentality - eating "fat free" "low fat" "low calorie" versions of food and avoiding a lot of healthy food that may be calorie dense. They avoid adding things to food they normally would out of fear of calories. Calorie dense does not always equal unhealthy.
    For example, simply switching from skim milk to a higher fat version adds calories with adding extra food (I personally hate full fat milk but its an example). Low fat yogurt is another easy switch. Cheese - go for the full fat version. Adding things like olive oil is another quick 100 calories without the bulk. Foods like avocado, eggs (many people remove the yolk with removes a lot of the calories but also alot of the nutrients), nuts and nut butters are all small additions that can add quick calories and nutrients. Even the less lean cuts of meat and fish.
  • highball8869
    Options
    I actually eat all the things you mentioned. Typical day consists of bran cereal, With whole milk, wheat bagel with jelly or eggs with full fat cheese for breakfast, maybe tuna or turkey burger for lunch, dinner is usually fish, chicken, or turkey with two begs on the side and snacks are usually apples, peanut butter or carrots. Its not so much a diet but more changing eating habits, getting away from fast food burgers and frozen chicken nuggets and crap. I guess I'm just worrying too much and need to let time show if there is something wrong.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I actually eat all the things you mentioned. Typical day consists of bran cereal, With whole milk, wheat bagel with jelly or eggs with full fat cheese for breakfast, maybe tuna or turkey burger for lunch, dinner is usually fish, chicken, or turkey with two begs on the side and snacks are usually apples, peanut butter or carrots. Its not so much a diet but more changing eating habits, getting away from fast food burgers and frozen chicken nuggets and crap. I guess I'm just worrying too much and need to let time show if there is something wrong.

You could do salmon instead of tuna. Beef instead of the chicken. Add a little butter or olive oil to your veggies.