need homemade recipe for chocolate syrup with splenda

CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like a homemade chocolate syrup using splenda. Would like to be able to make chocolate milk out of Non fat milk

Replies

• jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    from Amy Dacyczyn’s The Complete Tightwad Gazette.

½ cup cocoa powder
    1 cup water
    2 cups sugar
    ⅛ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla

Mix the cocoa powder and the water in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve. Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Be careful not to let it get too hot and boil over! Add the salt and the vanilla. Let cool. Pour into a clean glass jar, and store in the refrigerator. Keeps for several months, but trust me it will be gone before then. Yields two cups.

This recipe uses sugar, but you could sub Splenda. In my experience Splenda does not caramelize like sugar, so you'd probably want to add a thickening agent such as corn starch and play around with the recipe a bit. Or for chocolate milk you could just make it up as a powder (omit the vanilla and water) and it should make a yummy chocolate milk or even hot cocoa.
  • CALIECAT
    Thanks jrbowers .......... I will have some fro my 3:00 pm snack will let you know how I like it.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    So how'd it taste?
  • CALIECAT
    Got to FIND a way to disolve the cocoa powder It wss bitter I am going to check the sugar free hoT CHCOLATE aND see IF i CAN HAVE IT, MARIE
This discussion has been closed.