Both Leg press and squats? How many leg exercises?

Options
Hi, I'm wondering if it's redundant to do both the leg press machine and squats in the same workout. Also, on lower body days, how many exercises would be a good amount (not too little, not overtraining)? Just getting back into strength training and I want to make sure I don't end up injuring myself, but also make sure I'm doing enough.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'd advise to drop leg press entirely and put all the leg effort into squats.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd advise to drop leg press entirely and put all the leg effort into squats.

What about other types of leg strength training? Do you feel like squats are all you really need?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to accomplish. There are many programs that only include squats. Some, such as AllPro beginner routine, add calf raises. 5/3/1 adds Leg curls to the big but boring routine. The biggest thing is to get on a program that has a regular progression. Everyone here loves stronglifts or starting strength. Allpro Beginner routine is also a good program.
    Mike
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why do more than you have to? Squats are just as effective if not more...
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Idk.... Your goals, and or where you are currently at or your routine....

I would stick with squats only if you training your entire body 3x a week.

If doing some sort of split and training legs only once or twice a week it would be fine to do leg press and squats on the same day
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just re-starting out, haven't really done strength training in a long time. Trying to lose weight, get stronger, etc. I see people posting a whole list of leg exercises they do, so wondering if I should do a whole bunch like that, or if only doing squats is going to be enough.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you have a particular desire to target your quads in particular, leg press is best for that (although you can utilise your glutes and hamstrings more by putting your feet higher on the pad and pushing through the heels). Squats activate a bit more of the posterior chain, I think (someone tell me if I'm wrong!). So I'd definitely keep the squats and include the leg press IF you really want extra quad work. Another compound lift like deadlifts might be useful for you, too?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I deal a lot with beginners and older adults. We do both. Most of my clients cannot do heavy squats, so I cannot make it the primary leg exercise. We do a lot of leg presses, because, within that structured context, they can push a lot more iron and build up more of what I call "raw strength".

We also do a lot of squats, but more as a functional exercise--gobets, kettlebells, etc.

If you are a beginner and just getting back your form, I would say there is benefit in doing both. However, I would also say that your goal should be to get to heavy squats and phase out the leg press.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What about other types of leg strength training? Do you feel like squats are all you really need?

As a beginner, you're looking at building strength in ways that have large cross-over to other lifts and life in general. I've been doing Starting Strength and it works over the whole body despite the core of it being only five lifts.