Serious Plateau

Options
Dear Friends

I am stuck at a plateau for a very long time. I am 5'3, weigh 120 lbs. I have a petite structure, small and toned butt, but I cannot get my tummy to go in. Its like a pooch always there. I have upped my running, doing body pump classes at gym 2x /week. Watch what I eat. I do know that my sugar intake is slightly above the daily value but its mainly from fruits.

I am at my wits end. I was hoping to rock some spring / summer dresses but the lower belly folds just spoil the whole look. : ( There is no way I can win this game with my body: (

So upset today ..

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I know plateaus are tough. I was stuck in limbo for almost a year! However, the important thing is not to give up.

A few things to look at when trying to break a plateau are:

- How much you're eating. Have you been eating really low calorie for a really long time? If so, your body may be much more unwilling to let go of weight/fat. Try eating at maintenance calories for a week to "reset" even if you haven't been eating very low-cal. This can sometimes get people out of their plateaus, and gives the body a chance to be off of a deficit for a while.

-Have you been repetitive in your exercise routines? Try something else. Instead of running, try swimming or weight lifting.
    Don't overdo it on cardio, it will probably leave you unsatisfied with your results. I'd recommend trying some strength videos at home if you don't want to do heavy lifting, although everybody on this site preaches it as the ultimate exercise form :laugh: (I loveeee Cassey Ho "Blogilates" on Youtube!) You need balance!

-Are you eating clean? If not, you're not going to get rid of that pooch. Abs are made in the kitchen :wink:

I don't think your sugar intake (from fruits) really matters. I'd be more concerned with the amount of protein, fat, and carbohydrates you're eating. Try to eat a lot of protein and a teeny bit less carbs.

NOW STOP THAT BODY-HATING AND START LOVING YOURSELF FOR WHO YOU ARE TODAY!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At 5'3 and 120 lbs you're at a perfect healthy BMI. What you want isn't losing weight, it's about losing inches. Start lifting heavy.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i hear you!!!i am 5.2 ft and i have maintained for the most part over a year but i still can't get my pooch down! I am only focusing on lowering my body fat for along time yet it seems more difficult then losing the weight!!!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh everything. Chances are you're eating more than you think. That's what caused a plateau that lasted a few months for me. I'm finally losing weight again, and I feel like I have a much better understanding of portion sizes now.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What about using the abs section at the gym? Google exercises for the lower abs. I am sure you'll find something to use.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating at maintenance.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. You're more than likely overeating, or not tracking caloric intake at all and hence not at a deficit.
  • craftymomma1980
    Options
    Do you have any kids? If so, you might have diastasis recti. Its a separation of the separation abdominus muscle. Crunches make it worse but transverse ab work actually helps. Go to YouTube and look up "diastasis recti test" and test yourself. If you have it, it could be the cause of your belly pooch. You can also have one even if you've never had a child but it's not as common.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Do you have any kids? If so, you might have diastasis recti. Its a separation of the separation abdominus muscle. Crunches make it worse but transverse ab work actually helps. Go to YouTube and look up "diastasis recti test" and test yourself. If you have it, it could be the cause of your belly pooch. You can also have one even if you've never had a child but it's not as common.

Strong first post.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. You're more than likely overeating, or not tracking caloric intake at all and hence not at a deficit.

^ This. And add some actual strength training.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've learned to love my belly pooch. It's not that big, sure I don't like it being there, but I've accepted I'm a woman and that's where my body wants to keep the pooch since I've slimmed my hips and thighs so much. Some places just store fat more than others, so strength training is the best.

There are plenty of free videos online to help you strengthen your core muscles and you can get free weights at home if you can't afford a gym.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I have to try the following

1. Really count my calories
    2. Lift heavy. I do body pump regularly and I do the same weight every time.

I will be getting a scale soon. I just do mindful eating but never really track down anything to the dot.

I do have 2 kids and will check for diastasis recti test as well.